Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2022, 05:06 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Affliction limited to one subject at a time?

Salutations!

How would you build an Affliction ability that bestows an advantage or disadvantage, but can only affect one subject at a time? That is, the PC afflicts subject A, and before the normal duration is expired, the PC afflicts subject B, and subject A immediately loses the effects.

I thought about Extended Duration (Permanent) with Dispelling Condition: Applied to Other Subject, but that is a huge Enhancement, when what I'm looking for is a Limitation.

Thanks!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
TGLS

Default Re: Affliction limited to one subject at a time?

I'd call it +0%. It gives the owner of the affliction the ability to terminate the affliction at almost any time, in exchange for not being able to afflict multiple people at once.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
CeeDub

Hm, there may be advantages where canceling at will might be useful. Insubstantiality may be one. Or any other always-on ability that makes you pay extra for being able to switch it off.

But the traits I had in mind are Regeneration (to "afflict" on your allies) and Vulnerability (for enemies). I see no reason why you'd want to cancel either of them early, but plenty of reasons why only being able to affect one subject would be a serious limitation.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

I would call this -20% to -25%

My rationale is that in order to turn a single instance at a time ability into a multi-instance ability requires Cosmic at the +50% level:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
One has to treat Leech like Innate Attack here and simply have it inflict its injury on everyone affected. Healing should be proportional to total HP robbed. However, note that Leech has an innate limitation: "You can only affect one victim at a time." Even if you're some 100-armed super-grappler, you cannot grab 50 victims and use Leech on them all; and even if you have Extra Attack 19, you cannot zap 20 people with Leech (Malediction 1, +100%; Ranged, +40%) to drain them. This is intrinsic to the advantage itself, not to its means of delivery – Leech can only process one HP stream at a time. To get around that, you would need Cosmic, +50%.

Even leaving off Ranged, look at the sheer expense of Leech with Area Effect 1, +50% (you can't add Emanation, -20% to get points back, as Leech without Ranged has no range in the first place), Cosmic, Multiple victims, +50%, and Malediction 1, +100%. That's +200%, or 75 points + 12 points/level. I think that's rather hard to abuse.
So if we pretend an Affliction is not multi-instance and it has an invisible "cosmic" to make it so, removing it is a -33% Limitation. With the inherent ability to cancel itself adding +10% you get to -23%. Then just indulge pentephelia and round it up or down.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Salutations!

How would you build an Affliction ability that bestows an advantage or disadvantage, but can only affect one subject at a time? That is, the PC afflicts subject A, and before the normal duration is expired, the PC afflicts subject B, and subject A immediately loses the effects.

I thought about Extended Duration (Permanent) with Dispelling Condition: Applied to Other Subject, but that is a huge Enhancement, when what I'm looking for is a Limitation.

Thanks!
I've settled on -50% myself since one specific person only is -80%. It seems it's worth a little more than that so I used -50%. Worked pretty good.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
CeeDub

Thanks everyone. I think I'll accept the_matrix_walker's approach and price it -30%, or -20% if early cancellation might foreseeably come in handy.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Hm, there may be advantages where canceling at will might be useful. Insubstantiality may be one
re B36 talking about this:
Advantages that can be switched on and off (such as Insubstantiality) are automatically “on” for one minute per point by which the victim fails his HT
roll, and are not under the subject’s control.
While not under subject's control (ie the "victim" who failed the HT roll) wouldn't abilities be under the control of the attacker, so if it was switchable the user of Affliction might be able to turn them substantial via using a Ready maneuver?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliciton, afflicting advantages, afflicting disadvantages