Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Gef

Default Indirect archery

Are there rules somewhere in 4e for arcing fire with muscle-powered weapons (bows, crossbows, slings)? I fancy myself proficient in the skill of Games (GURPS), but I can't seem to find any. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Indirect archery

I've wondered this myself too. The final battle scene in The Last Samurai has a pretty neat archers-vs-riflemen exchange, where the samurai archers take cover behind shields which absorb most of the rifle shots. They can arc their arrows above the shields and threaten the enemy riflemen through indirect fire.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Are there rules somewhere in 4e for arcing fire with muscle-powered weapons (bows, crossbows, slings)? I fancy myself proficient in the skill of Games (GURPS), but I can't seem to find any. -GEF
You can use the Artillery rules on HT 139 for some of what you need. Damage seems like it would be affected though.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Anything using a ballistic arc can use indirect fire. In fact, for most of the bows range, it's indirect.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Anaraxes

All projectiles travel in ballistic arcs, including bullets. Unless they're self-powered like rockets or cruise missiles, they have to.

The definition of "indirect fire" that I'm used to seeing means firing at a position that you cannot see. Usually this means you have a spotter correcting your fire. Arcing alone doesn't make the fire "indirect". An archer can see his target and directs his own fire. So, I wouldn't call it indirect just because it's long range and the arrow has to arc.

When it comes to armies, I think the question would be more about area effect rules for high RoF (treating the entire unit as one attack). The individual hit modifiers are low, but you try to make up for that with mass volleys.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Rasmus Wagner

Use Artillery rules. You'd usually aim at a unit rather than an individual or a specific hex. If you hit the unit, you use the usual rules to determine if an actual target is hit by using the normal rules for when projectiles happen to hit an occupied hex.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
Agramer

See how much area does unit cover,than target area...if you have hit area than roll 9 or less to hit someone there.

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Wagner View Post
Use Artillery rules. You'd usually aim at a unit rather than an individual or a specific hex. If you hit the unit, you use the usual rules to determine if an actual target is hit by using the normal rules for when projectiles happen to hit an occupied hex.
I'm not certain that works. Since massed archery lack observers and fire control those rules would give it huge penalties, and IIRC misses can be huge.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Anything using a ballistic arc can use indirect fire. In fact, for most of the bows range, it's indirect.
I recall seeing Marine Corp field manual that discussed indirect fire of machine guns, like over hills and other obstructions. Of course it's been 20 years since I saw it so I might just have it wrong.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
You can use the Artillery rules on HT 139 for some of what you need. Damage seems like it would be affected though.
That would explain it. My copy of hi-tech seems to have been kidnapped, although there's been no ransom demand.

I'm wondering if you can get an arrow to come down close enough to vertical to treat as an overhead attack, if it'd do enough damage to matter, if you'd have a prayer of hitting, and over what portion of the bow's range the trick might work. I wonder this mainly because I seem to recall depiction in movies of defenders holding shields over their heads to protect against archery volleys...which seems significant since "Overhead" is a +30% enhancement for attack powers.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote