Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #61
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'll need:
a DX+2 roll to dump the food on the collision properly
An acting roll to make it look convincing
An influence roll to leave the scene in comparatively good graces
[22] 20-08-22 20:01:03 CEST

Dump the food on collision

3d6 <= 16
6 + 3 + 3 = 12 ... success

[23] 20-08-22 20:02:21 CEST

Acting roll to make it look convincing

3d6 <= 14
4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success

[24] 20-08-22 20:04:37 CEST

Savoir-Faire (Military) to leave the scene in comparatively good graces

3d6 <= 15
1 + 6 + 2 = 9 ... success

Day's plan seems to go off well - food dumped, rushes off to get cleaned up and (hopefully) no one the wiser...

Figuring that he's gone 48 hours without the psi-suppressors, after a couple of hours he begins experimenting with reaching for his psi-powers. He figures it will take a bit before he can begin using them, but once he can it will make life a lot easier!
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #62
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The food is spread over three locations in the ship: around around F on floor 19, C on floor 18, and D on floor 17. Its in the tighter blue box sets. getting access to it is not a problem.
I think Iíll go ahead with trying to destroy the flour supply and just deal with the pills (at least then I wouldnít have to worry about the food). Maybe I could find a way to put holes in the flour containers to make it look like vermin got into the flour. Or maybe start a fire that looks like an accident. Either way, this is probably going to take some time to plan so I better get ready to get around the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
[*]Those that are part of the general armory. These are inventoried once a shift, but there are around 2,000 of them, so its a quick check. They are arranged in racks of 10, so if you can make a rack look full when its not, you may be able to keep the theft a secret[/LIST]
Still not sure if itís something I should carry around all the time in any case. Lack of smuggling skill and all. How long would it take to render a weapon inoperable while looking OK? I assume most of these are energy guns. Obviously, all of them would probably be a challenge, but even 10% could cause havoc, especially if I took the first of every rack.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Figuring that he's gone 48 hours without the psi-suppressors, after a couple of hours he begins experimenting with reaching for his psi-powers. He figures it will take a bit before he can begin using them, but once he can it will make life a lot easier!
Pothi makes a few comments about Daymar being a clutz, but he doesn't seem to have noticed that Daymar has done something with all of his food for two days in a row.

Its the evening now, and the powers will start returning mostly in bed. Pothi says the gambling games down on deck 19 will have started by now, and he wants to head down there himself, though he seems less interested in the wagers than the company.

By the time breakfast rolls around Daymar will have access to 18 points of powers. He will have mental surgery 1 and suggestion 1, though suggestion 2 will be only a few hours (or maybe a little bit of work) away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I think Iíll go ahead with trying to destroy the flour supply and just deal with the pills (at least then I wouldnít have to worry about the food). Maybe I could find a way to put holes in the flour containers to make it look like vermin got into the flour. Or maybe start a fire that looks like an accident. Either way, this is probably going to take some time to plan so I better get ready to get around the food.
Let me know if you have specific questions or plans. Remember you may need to get tools to accomplish specific plans.

Quote:
Still not sure if itís something I should carry around all the time in any case. Lack of smuggling skill and all. How long would it take to render a weapon inoperable while looking OK? I assume most of these are energy guns. Obviously, all of them would probably be a challenge, but even 10% could cause havoc, especially if I took the first of every rack.
Carrying a weapon concealed with you is not a good idea, no. If you took one you'd want to hide it somewhere other than your person, your locker, or your bunkroom.

Yes, the navy mostly uses energy weapons, mostly so that they don't get steam-rolled by TK. Making the energy weapons inoperable... I suppose it depends on how bad you wanted to mess with them and how stealthy the sabatouge would be. You could unaligned the battery contacts, smear oil on the lenses, put dents in the triggers so they won't fire, drill holes in the energy cells...

what did you have in mind, and does she have the armory skill or something else that's applicable here?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #64
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Let me know if you have specific questions or plans. Remember you may need to get tools to accomplish specific plans.

Carrying a weapon concealed with you is not a good idea, no. If you took one you'd want to hide it somewhere other than your person, your locker, or your bunkroom.

Yes, the navy mostly uses energy weapons, mostly so that they don't get steam-rolled by TK. Making the energy weapons inoperable... I suppose it depends on how bad you wanted to mess with them and how stealthy the sabatouge would be. You could unaligned the battery contacts, smear oil on the lenses, put dents in the triggers so they won't fire, drill holes in the energy cells...

what did you have in mind, and does she have the armory skill or something else that's applicable here?
Could I use Traps and an some kind of electrics tool to start a fire near the flour when someone turns on the lights? If so, I'll try to get my hands on electrical kit. Are there any hazardous materials stored near flour (metallic hydrogen perhaps)? Could I rig up an incident that leaves the storage are uninhabitable, or otherwise writing off everything stored there? Could I rearrange the freight such that if anyone tries to move the flour, it causes an avalanche (like a big Jenga tower). I figure trashing all the flour the same way would be really suspicious...

Could I use Spacer or something to find a hidey-hole for contraband?

I do have Armoury (Small Arms). Is there some kind of analogue to a firing pin that could be removed or something?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Could I rig up an incident that leaves the storage are uninhabitable, or otherwise writing off everything stored there?
probably... though the only mechanical skill you have is traps, which is surprising applicable to a lot of techniques for doing this...

Quote:
Could I rearrange the freight such that if anyone tries to move the flour, it causes an avalanche (like a big Jenga tower). I figure trashing all the flour the same way would be really suspicious...
That would be traps. It would trash a LOT of flour, but I don't think the whole tower would go bad. maybe 25% to 75%, depending on your roll.

Quote:
Could I use Traps and an some kind of electrics tool to start a fire near the flour when someone turns on the lights? If so, I'll try to get my hands on electrical kit.
Yes, traps should work for that. You'll need to find something to burn properly... though I suppose that can be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Are there any hazardous materials stored near flour (metallic hydrogen perhaps)?
There is metallic hydrogen bricks are stored basically everywhere (in the grey boxes on the floorplans*), so yes. The stuff is only slightly explosive, but it burns exceptionally well.

In two of the three stores, the flour is actually pretty close to the sewage treatment plant (which can take stuff all the way back to food, but still). On those same two floors the flour is near the water tanks as well. Not hazardous, but useful for wrecking flour. Air reclamation and Temperature control are also down there, for the record.

Quote:
I do have Armoury (Small Arms). Is there some kind of analogue to a firing pin that could be removed or something?
I'm sure there is an electronic analouge to that, and with small arms, your character has it. Once you have your powers oneline, you can probably fry the with a touch, though that would require a successful armoury (small arms) roll.

Quote:
Could I use Spacer or something to find a hidey-hole for contraband?
either Per-based Spacer or freight handling at -2 should work.

*you do have access to the floorplans?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #66
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm sure there is an electronic analouge to that, and with small arms, your character has it. Once you have your powers online, you can probably fry the with a touch, though that would require a successful armoury (small arms) roll.
OK, weíll put that on the backburner then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*you do have access to the floorplans?
Yes. Trying to figure out whether the flour is the small teal squares or the small teal circles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes, traps should work for that. You'll need to find something to burn properly... though I suppose that can be arranged

There is metallic hydrogen bricks are stored basically everywhere (in the grey boxes on the floorplans*), so yes. The stuff is only slightly explosive, but it burns exceptionally well.
I guess I could stick a live wire on the ends of a block of hydrogen and it would just get hotter and hotter until it catches fire, but that would look less like an accident and I think itís a superconductor anyway. Is this a setting with lots of paper? That might be good kindling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In two of the three stores, the flour is actually pretty close to the sewage treatment plant (which can take stuff all the way back to food, but still). On those same two floors the flour is near the water tanks as well. Not hazardous, but useful for wrecking flour. Air reclamation and Temperature control are also down there, for the record.
OK, so far:
-> Start a fire near one of the flour stores
-> Cause a big flood to trash the flour
-> Depending on how compartmentalized the ship is, rig things up so the doorway gets blocked? Like the avalanche plan but no one can get in either? Building on this, maybe spill all the flour manually and stage an accident?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
either Per-based Spacer or freight handling at -2 should work.
OK. Letís try that then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicelog
[25] 20-08-23 23:58:48 CEST
Looking for a hidey-hole (Per-based spacer at -2)
3d6 <= 12
4 + 3 + 6 = 13 ... failure
Ah well.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Yes. Trying to figure out whether the flour is the small teal squares or the small teal circles.
Small teal squares in double rows. the small circles are the sewage reclamation plant. The medium teal squares are atmosphere reclamation, water processing, and temperature control.

Quote:
I guess I could stick a live wire on the ends of a block of hydrogen and it would just get hotter and hotter until it catches fire, but that would look less like an accident and I think itís a superconductor anyway. Is this a setting with lots of paper? That might be good kindling.
This setting uses a fair amount of paper, yes, so you could start a fire with that. You can also set up the hydrogen brick to burn with the wire. This ship may or may not have been originally designed for a damage control scenario with raging fires.

Quote:
-> Depending on how compartmentalized the ship is, rig things up so the doorway gets blocked? Like the avalanche plan but no one can get in either? Building on this, maybe spill all the flour manually and stage an accident?
The red lines are compartment walls. It'd be really hard to block all of the doors, and even if you did, all the life support is in there, so people will cut holes and get back in.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #68
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pothi makes a few comments about Daymar being a clutz, but he doesn't seem to have noticed that Daymar has done something with all of his food for two days in a row.

Its the evening now, and the powers will start returning mostly in bed. Pothi says the gambling games down on deck 19 will have started by now, and he wants to head down there himself, though he seems less interested in the wagers than the company.

By the time breakfast rolls around Daymar will have access to 18 points of powers. He will have mental surgery 1 and suggestion 1, though suggestion 2 will be only a few hours (or maybe a little bit of work) away.

Great! Day is excited for the gambling, as much for the games as to get to know some of the other crew (and identify key people on which to use his abilities once they return).
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #69
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The red lines are compartment walls. It'd be really hard to block all of the doors, and even if you did, all the life support is in there, so people will cut holes and get back in.
Well, on one hand, the food store on 19 is pretty isolated. On the other, it would be pretty silly to waste an otherwise perfectly good store of food because the door is stuck.

Right now I'm thinking:
Floor 19: Staged Collapse: toss all the flour out of the boxes and then cause all the shelving to collapse.
Floor 18: Flood Food Storage: if the flour box sets are water permeable, then it should be just a matter of keeping the door open and pumping the water in.
Floor 17: Arson: in a high traffic area (there's an elevator there), it's probably best to do something that won't take a real long time.

Could I use Observation or something to check whether there's a higher degree of fire suppression, at least near the food stores?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #70
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Great! Day is excited for the gambling, as much for the games as to get to know some of the other crew (and identify key people on which to use his abilities once they return).
Down on deck 19, the enertainment is really only getting started. There are a few games of chance, most dice-based. A lot of the people here are the ones who will actually run things later on, and they're busy discussing who goes where and will be doing what. Over a few friendly wagers, of course.

One ship's tradition is to bet on things that will happen, and one fellow, a short guy from transport, is taking bets on how long until the ship sees combat.

Pothi is scoping things out and making small talk. There seem to be spacers from all over the ship, but there are no officers. There ARE a few folks from morale, and one guy from security.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.