Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
banditangel
 
banditangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Isn't Thor dead?

Revelations 2, The Marches, p. 96: "Thor was the only important Aes lost in the Crusade."

Yet I get the impression that he's mentioned in the Ethereal Player's Guide, and even in Heaven and Hell. Is this Errata'd? Was it "just a flesh wound"? Or is he really dead?
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditangel View Post
Revelations 2, The Marches, p. 96: "Thor was the only important Aes lost in the Crusade."

Yet I get the impression that he's mentioned in the Ethereal Player's Guide, and even in Heaven and Hell. Is this Errata'd? Was it "just a flesh wound"? Or is he really dead?
Odin gets a writeup in the EPG, but not Thor. I don't have H&H, but AFAIK he's dead in Canon.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Jason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Thor does appear as an NPC in the adventure at the end of Heaven & Hell, but if I remember correctly, he's basically an ethereal remnant, or at least seriously confused. Maybe that counts as being "lost."

You could probably come up with other explanations, too (e.g., the "original" Thor being replaced by more recent dreams of Thor), but it does sound like something worthy of errata.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

There's some spoilers here for those who haven't played the Revelations cycle, so highlight the following if you HAVE to know:

Thor went down in the midst of the Purity Cursade, taking about six Malakim with him. He didn't die, but he did lose his memory and was separated from Mjolnir and his other symbols of power. As a result, he wandered NYC as a derelict, occasionally singing "If I Had a Hammer." In the "No Dinero" adventure in Heaven & Hell, the PCs have a chance to discover the truth and reunite him with his mythic hammer, restoring his identity and mind. In "The Final Trumpet," if the potential end of the world gets far enough for the mythic World-Serpent to arise, the PCs can hunt out Thor and get him to fight his destined battle. If that happens, the Serpent is ultimately put down, but Thor -- as prophesied by the Norse -- also dies in the fight.
__________________
“It's not railroading if you offer the PCs tickets and they stampede to the box office, waving their money. Metaphorically speaking”
--Elizabeth McCoy, In Nomine Line Editor

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
banditangel
 
banditangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Ahhh, thank you very much Rocket Man :)

NYC. Of course it would be the city where my campaign is centered...
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
tHEhERETIC
 
tHEhERETIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Life imitates art--I'm in Pohang
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

And in case you don't want to read RocketMan's spoilers, there's one quote that sticks in my mind. Forgive me for reciting from my holey memory--I'm tired tonight.

"...last seen fighting six Malakim."

Which leaves a whole lot of room for ficcing him alive, doesn't it?
__________________
Criminy...these two have enough issues, they can sell subscriptions! (ladyarcana55, in a PM)
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
ISNorden
 
ISNorden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
And in case you don't want to read RocketMan's spoilers, there's one quote that sticks in my mind. Forgive me for reciting from my holey memory--I'm tired tonight.

"...last seen fighting six Malakim."

Which leaves a whole lot of room for ficcing him alive, doesn't it?
"Last seen fighting" doesn't imply death or even defeat--only that Thor has gone missing. Even if he won the fight, though, chances are good that one of my favorite Ethereals got a heckuva beating first! :-)
__________________
Ingeborg S. Nordén
ISNorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
banditangel
 
banditangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"...last seen fighting six Malakim."

Which leaves a whole lot of room for ficcing him alive, doesn't it?
Aye, but the preceeding "Thor was the only important Aes lost" makes it fairly clear what's being implied there - the spoiler answer fits both quotes, though. :)
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Captain-Captain
 
Captain-Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Isn't Thor dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
There's some spoilers here for those who haven't played the Revelations cycle, so highlight the following if you HAVE to know:

Thor went down in the midst of the Purity Cursade, taking about six Malakim with him. He didn't die, but he did lose his memory and was separated from Mjolnir and his other symbols of power. As a result, he wandered NYC as a derelict, occasionally singing "If I Had a Hammer." In the "No Dinero" adventure in Heaven & Hell, the PCs have a chance to discover the truth and reunite him with his mythic hammer, restoring his identity and mind. In "The Final Trumpet," if the potential end of the world gets far enough for the mythic World-Serpent to arise, the PCs can hunt out Thor and get him to fight his destined battle. If that happens, the Serpent is ultimately put down, but Thor -- as prophesied by the Norse -- also dies in the fight.
Sounds to me like

They swiped the reappearnce of the Submariner in one of the early Fantastic Four books for this. ;)
__________________
...().0...0()
.../..........\
-/......O.....\-
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ethereals, thor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.