Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #51
Humabout

Default Re: GURPS Zombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I started writing a comment of how much I liked it and it turned into a post for my blog.

Basically I wasn't even looking forward to the book that much but I jumped on it the day it came out and so far I love it. (I think zombie fiction is beginning to get played out seeing how Netflix has a zombie-themed romance.) It'll help a planned Diablo-inspired game which itself might be replaced by a zompocalypse game.

Also, the blog entry jokes about Kromm's love of Left 4 Dead and how that shows up in the book.
Your review of the book is piquing my curiosity. I may add this one to my wishlist, if nothing else, for the mechanical aspects of it. The Build-A-Zombie section sounds interesting, depending on whether or not it's just for zombies or for pretty much any corporeal undead. Color me interested now.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Your review of the book is piquing my curiosity. I may add this one to my wishlist, if nothing else, for the mechanical aspects of it. The Build-A-Zombie section sounds interesting, depending on whether or not it's just for zombies or for pretty much any corporeal undead. Color me interested now.
I've not read it word for word but I hesitate to say it's primary focus is zombie-like undead - so not so much vampires, litches, etc. but there is plenty to work with for semi-intelligent undead (like from Evil Dead). It does give a good overview of what traits you might see in any kind of corporeal undead so with some work you could make it fit. I imagine actual folklore based vampires would be trivial (they're little more than zombies really) but the modern take of an intelligent being with amazing powers less so.

Like I said in the review, what I hope to see grow from this would be official worked-examples that could provide drop-in frameworks that fit up well with certain popular zombie settings (like "Walking Dead" or "Left 4 Dead" with the serial numbers filed off).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #53
Baldo

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/z...liography.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There wasn't room for everything...
If so, please let me add/recommend the War of the Dead books from Daring Entertainment, this LONG campaign (and the additional material from the Savage Worlds forum) outstrips anything from All Flesh Must Be Eaten, in my opinion.

Now excuse me, I have a PDF copy of GURPS Zombies to buy...
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #54
Vynticator

I bought this recently, late to the party I guess. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it and how well written it was. Really loving treatment of the subject, good focus on user-friendliness. I bought it for fun but found it so good I am weaving zombie-related ideas into my next campaign.

Thanks!
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #55
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post

I bought this recently, late to the party I guess. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it and how well written it was. Really loving treatment of the subject, good focus on user-friendliness. I bought it for fun but found it so good I am weaving zombie-related ideas into my next campaign.
Thank you for the kind words. I spent most of my years at SJ Games waiting to write this book . . . you could call it my Holy Grail. I'm glad you find it inspiring!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #56
ronom

Yes, it has helped me out quite a bit. If I don't use my campaign now, I've created a hook for an IW campaign, where a precog incorrectly believed that a Gotha outbreak can be stopped. A mix of outtimer survivors and homeliners with a useless vaccine must band together.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #57
Rockwolf66

Looking it over in my LGS, I'm starting to wonder if one could make the Modified/Armored Zombies from Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter Vendetta"?

It will be interesting to see the look on people's faces when one breaks out the Armored Zombie Elephant and there is not a monster sized harpoon gun in sight.

That being said it's one of the better thought out RPG books on zombies I've seen in Years.
Rockwolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #58
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I spent most of my years at SJ Games waiting to write this book . . . you could call it my Holy Grail.
Ok. You sold me.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
necromancy, undead