Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: [Movie Supers] Iron Man

Not sure I follow the logic of the non reicopcol damge your trying for.
The limitation measn aprt of it carries over and that is fine.
However if the form is reduced to negative damage it still needs to roll to stay conscious and not die.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #32
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Tony Stark (2605 points)

[snip]
Interesting build. Certainly better overall than my own build for him. I, personally, like the idea of using the suit as an Alternate Form, particularly since in the movies at least he has to have J.A.R.V.I.S.'s assistance in donning and removing it (except for the Mk I, which Yinsen assisted with).

One thing, though: I didn't see Ally: J.A.R.V.I.S (AI) anywhere on the sheet. Am I blind, or was it forgotten?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #33
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Since the Alternate Form has its own Hit Points separate from Tony Stark's, the Iron Man Armor's limbs can be crippled, severed, etc. Also, since all of the various weapons, sensors, and defenses of the armor were bought as gadgets with different size penalties, an enemy can attack them just like any vital hit location on a person.

So for example, the suits Laser is located on the forearm and is -3 to hit. I'd say that any hit to the Laser, doing more than half the suits HP (so 15 damage) would cripple the Laser, ruining it until it could be replaced or repaired.
Right, but my concern was with a piece getting ripped off and exposing Tony's human flesh underneath.

I was thinking of something like Juggernaut grabbing his leg armor and ripping that armor off. Then you have Iron Man, but with Stark's leg sticking out of it.

Can your setup handle that? I don't know if that can actually happen in the comics, anyway.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #34
smurf
Banned

I think there is a line where what is on film/comic and what can be done in a RPG.

IIRC Roll with Blow may help reduce some damage. A defence feature? Not forgetting a few levels of enhanced dodge.

Trying to do what the film had done, which looks nice, then you would need oodles of points. May as well GM licence it to do what ever is plot convienent.

You may as well argue that the suit is good but not that good. The stuff with 125mm shells, Thor's hammer or Hulk's fist were propaganda stunts to make it look that good.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Not sure I follow the logic of the non reicopcol damge your trying for. The limitation measn aprt of it carries over and that is fine. However if the form is reduced to negative damage it still needs to roll to stay conscious and not die.
Yes. This would just represent the suit getting damaged. Going unconscious or being killed would be like the suit shutting down or losing power.

That does bring up an interesting point. I'll have to figure out how to represent the fact the the suit can be knocked out (shut down) while Tony is still conscious inside it. Also, I'm not sure what happens when you have Non-Reciprocal damage and the alternate form is "killed." This build includes the enhancement where you don't change back where you are knocked out or killed, so I'm assuming that Tony would just be stuck in an unpowered suit. The Alternate Form might need Compartmentalized Mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Interesting build. Certainly better overall than my own build for him. I, personally, like the idea of using the suit as an Alternate Form, particularly since in the movies at least he has to have J.A.R.V.I.S.'s assistance in donning and removing it (except for the Mk I, which Yinsen assisted with).

One thing, though: I didn't see Ally: J.A.R.V.I.S (AI) anywhere on the sheet. Am I blind, or was it forgotten?
I forgot to add Jarvis. Also Pepper and a few others. I'm thinking that compared to Iron Man they are all pretty cheap Allies. Except for maybe Roady, (with the War Machine suit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Right, but my concern was with a piece getting ripped off and exposing Tony's human flesh underneath.

I was thinking of something like Juggernaut grabbing his leg armor and ripping that armor off. Then you have Iron Man, but with Stark's leg sticking out of it.

Can your setup handle that? I don't know if that can actually happen in the comics, anyway.
I think so, but it would be pretty tricky.

Lets say Juggy does 1000d of damage. He grabs Iron Man's leg and tries to rip it off, rolling badly and doing only 2000 points of damage. -100 for DR takes this down to 1900, which gets reduced to 19 from Damage Reduction. The Suit takes 19 points of damage to the leg, which is more than half its hit points. Because it's not solid, but filed with a squishy Tony Stark inside, the GM rules that not only does this cripple the leg, but actually rips it off.

With the limitation I gave the armor on its Non-Reciprocal damage, 4 of the 19 points of damage get through to Tony. Nearly crippling his leg as the armored shell around it is torn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I think there is a line where what is on film/comic and what can be done in a RPG.

IIRC Roll with Blow may help reduce some damage. A defence feature? Not forgetting a few levels of enhanced dodge.

Trying to do what the film had done, which looks nice, then you would need oodles of points. May as well GM licence it to do what ever is plot convienent.

You may as well argue that the suit is good but not that good. The stuff with 125mm shells, Thor's hammer or Hulk's fist were propaganda stunts to make it look that good.

Oodles of points is okay with me. I don't see many of the Avengers being built for less than 2000 points. Even guys like Hawkeye are probably 1000. He can hit a target moving at high speed, in the air, without looking at it! AND do enough damage to take out a high tech vehicle, to boot.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
smurf
Banned

Does one of the Power Ups have 'GM licence' to decide what is best?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #37
Phantasm

Quote:
I forgot to add Jarvis. Also Pepper and a few others. I'm thinking that compared to Iron Man they are all pretty cheap Allies. Except for maybe Roady, (with the War Machine suit).
I mentioned Jarvis specifically because he's right there in the fight with Tony managing the suit. Pepper and Rhodey (the proper spelling, btw; from "James Rhodes") would be Allies with a much lower Frequency of Appearance; Jarvis would be "Constantly", at least as far as the suit is concerned. (In a way, Jarvis, not Tony, is the brains of the suit.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #38
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Skills:
Battlesuit! (WC) IQ+2 [48]-20; Businessman! (WC) IQ [24]-18; Computers! (WC) IQ [24]-18; Drive! (WC) IQ-2 [6]-16; Inventor! (WC) IQ [24]-18; Science! (WC) IQ [24]-18.
His Inventor! seems a little low, you a skill of at least 21 to make amazing inventions, and I'm sure Tony Stark is capable of that.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #39
Anaraxes

Quote:
(In a way, Jarvis, not Tony, is the brains of the suit.)
That suggests an Ally build for the suit (containing Jarvis), perhaps giving Jarvis Digital Possession so he can take over the lab computers.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #40
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
That suggests an Ally build for the suit (containing Jarvis), perhaps giving Jarvis Digital Possession so he can take over the lab computers.
I think Jarvis is an ally for sure, but I don't think you can build the suit as an Ally. It's almost four times the cost of Tony Stark. LOL, maybe I could build the Iron Man armor as Jarvis, with Tony as an Ally, and also with Paraplegic with Ally as a Mitigator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
His Inventor! seems a little low, you a skill of at least 21 to make amazing inventions, and I'm sure Tony Stark is capable of that.
Thanks, I missed that. Probably due to my natural hated of the advantage :)

Quote:
I mentioned Jarvis specifically because he's right there in the fight with Tony managing the suit. Pepper and Rhodey (the proper spelling, btw; from "James Rhodes") would be Allies with a much lower Frequency of Appearance; Jarvis would be "Constantly", at least as far as the suit is concerned. (In a way, Jarvis, not Tony, is the brains of the suit.)
I think I need to give the Iron Man form Compartmentalized Mind: Controls. Right now I'm struggling with how the Armor can be "knocked out" without effecting Tony.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, breakable, iron man, marvel, stark, supers