Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Scientific Paths [RPM]

RPM offers a very flexible system that can be integrated into a number of conceptual frameworks. One such possible framework would be a scientific RPM system, where there is a Path associated with every H scientific skill (or H specialty in the case of VH scientific skills). In this case, the core skill would be Thaumotology (Scientific) while practitioners would use Alchemy (Scientific) to create potions.

One limitation possible with such a system is that a practitioner would have a Path skill equal to the lesser of Thaumotology (Scientific), the associated scientific skill (or its VH equivalent), or Magery+12. As compesation, the conditional rituals of Thaumotology (Scientific) and the potions of Alchemy (Scientific) would form different pools, allowing skilled practitioners to have a lot of surprises. Additionally, practitioners could benefit from a bonus to their effective skill if they used an appropriate laboratory for the scientific skill associated with a Path.

What do you think? Would you allow a Scientific RPM system? What improvements would you suggest to the system?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Scientific Paths [RPM]

Monster Hunters 5 has one treatise of something like this.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Monster Hunters 5 has one treatise of something like this.

Not really. Its more about using computers to cast spells.

I think an RPM system based around scientific skills would feel a lot like gadgeteer. In fact, I bet you could use the RPM rules with gadgeteer replacing adept to make a more structured invention system.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Refplace

A take on this is the Sufficiently Deranged article in Pyramid #3/122 All Good Things which is meant for Weird Science but uses scientific skills as Paths/Realms.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
A take on this is the Sufficiently Deranged article in Pyramid #3/122 All Good Things which is meant for Weird Science but uses scientific skills as Paths/Realms.

Nice. That's based on realm magic, but RPM is fairly close, and the article gives some good guidance. I might use this next time I have a techie.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote