Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #51
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
Yes, but even though you are a notary of the public, there are chances you can fail and screw up a document, like you can fail a driving roll (though maybe not very likely) but it can happen. I would still see that as an easy skill. Maybe even only have to roll it in certain circumstances (like driving in combat situations). now if there is somethig beyond your skill that your skill doesnt cover i can see that. But since being a notary is something that one can learn to to then it isnt a perk.
Perks don't have to be magical or cinematic. They can be learned or developed.

In any event, failing or passing a skill roll has nothing to do with whether you are entitled in a jurisdiction to engage in a practice or not. I agree there is a skill involved in being a notary (whether a stand alone Prof. Skill, or a sub-specializations of Admin or Law), but whether you have that skill or not, you need the authorization of the government to hold yourself out to the public as a Notary. The reason people come to you is not your skill, but rather the imprimatur you are authorized to grant.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #52
bigmack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
IRL, skill and license are not co-equal. A highly skilled person who practices without a license is committing a serious offense. Even profesionals who have been licenced in a jurisidiction at one time and have let it lapse, face barriers in reestablishing their licenses from time to time. At minimum, several month of administrative to-ing and fro-ing occurs, plus sometimes requalification and testing.

I think I said that wrong, If you have the PS that entitles you to be able to have that Permit, doesnt really mean you already have it. I think that would be determined on a case by case basis. If you have a PS: Doctor skill you probably have your license, if you have PS: Soldier it may not mean you have a concealed weapons permit. that would be up to the GM.

But in all reality every GM runs their game differently. So each GM is going to have their own house rules and have different standards. I just feel if it can be related to a skill it isnt a perk. Its almost like a very minor power
bigmack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #53
bigmack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
Perks don't have to be magical or cinematic. They can be learned or developed.

In any event, failing or passing a skill roll has nothing to do with whether you are entitled in a jurisdiction to engage in a practice or not. I agree there is a skill involved in being a notary (whether a stand alone Prof. Skill, or a sub-specializations of Admin or Law), but whether you have that skill or not, you need the authorization of the government to hold yourself out to the public as a Notary. The reason people come to you is not your skill, but rather the imprimatur you are authorized to grant.

Ok, I can kind of see it that way, but wouldn't that be a reputation?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #54
Infornific

A couple contributions:

Sanctity: Noted before, this is functionally the same as Honest Face but is Social in origin.

Face in the Crowd: You have a remarkably ordinary appearance and blend into crowds well. IQ and other rolls to remember your appearance are at -1. So for example, if someone is trying to shadow you in a crowd, they're at -1 to keep track of you. If you are attempting to shadow someone going through a crowd, rolls to spot you are at -1. If you are observing someone long term, rolls for the target to recognize you are at -1, and so on. Appearance can be no better than Attractive and no worse than Unattractive. Likewise, Disadvantages and features that give you a distinctive appearance (Fat, Skinny, notably tall or short, etc) are not allowed. As a side effect, Sex Appeal rolls are at -1. Bland isn't sexy.

Striking Appearance: This is a quirk and is the mechanical opposite of "Face in the Crowd." Rolls to notice you are at +1, as are your rolls at Sex Appeal. Appearance restrictions are as for "Face in the Crowd."

Animal Friend: A specific species of animal (dog, cat, horse, etc.) likes you for some reason and reacts at +1. A side effect is that the specific species also assumes you want their attention.

Regarding charging Perks for professional licenses, I'd say it's a genre and GM issue. Basically if the following are true:

1. The license gives significant legal privileges (fly a plane and have an excuse to hang out at airports, practice medicine and prescribe drugs, carry a concealed weapon, etc.)

2. The GM does not want the ability available for free to anyone who has the appropriate skills. It's safe to assume if a license is useful in game terms and free, characters are likely to pick it up.

So if you're ok with everyone with Guns skill having a Concealed Weapons Permit, don't require a Perk for it. If you want to limit such privileges, charge character points. It depends on the game you want to run.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #55
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
Ok, I can kind of see it that way, but wouldn't that be a reputation?
I wouldn't think so, because with the license, you still have it even if you are a complete unknown.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #56
Dantar

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
9) Can always score weed

As long as there is any reasonable human presence, the character can quickly and easily find someone willing to sell him marijuana with no fear of being caught by the authorities.

A buddy of mine came up with this one for his Olympic snowboarder. He used it at a research base in Antarctica and again on a U.S. aircraft carrier.

Made me laugh - I can imagine him asking an undercover cop for a dime bag, getting an angry look from the cop, who flashes a badge! Just as a ticket/arrest is about to take place though, there's a radio call for an armed robbery. The cop says "You're lucky kid!" and takes off to help... also fortunately, the officer appears to have dropped a small plastic bag when he pulled his badge out :P

Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #57
Infornific

One more Perk (though I think Kromm already got this one):

Memorized <Body of work>

Yo have memorized a significant text and can quote from this. This can be good for a +1 on reaction rolls and Influence rolls if you can work in a significant quote and you have an audience impressed by such things. Examples:

The plays of Shakespeare.
The bible.
The Koran (in Arabic, preferably.)

Memorization isn't the same as understanding or performance. However, you might occasionally get a +1 bonus in an ex tempore situation. If (for example) you are arguing theology face to face with a Christian, Memorized the Bible might give you a +1 bonus to the contest of Theology.

This Perk can also be used to justify a Reputation - which should be payed for separately.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #58
Lord Carnifex

One that came up in my recent game that I was quite happy with.

Faith:You believe genuinely and strongly in your chosen religion or spiritual practice. This faith differs from the True Faith advantage as it has no effects on supernatural creatures or forces. However, you do get a +1 to Will rolls versus doing or being made to do something that would compromise some fundamental aspect of your faith.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #59
bigmack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantar
Made me laugh - I can imagine him asking an undercover cop for a dime bag, getting an angry look from the cop, who flashes a badge! Just as a ticket/arrest is about to take place though, there's a radio call for an armed robbery. The cop says "You're lucky kid!" and takes off to help... also fortunately, the officer appears to have dropped a small plastic bag when he pulled his badge out :P

lmao haha thats great...
Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #60
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
Although it doesn't sound like it's very hard to become a notary public, it is something above and beyond what is associated with any skill, and it does provide certain advantages. Thus, it is reasonable to treat it as a Perk.

Perk: Notary public [1] <-- You are authorized to swear depositions, create certified copies of official documents, declare certain documents official and legally binding, etc. And you can charge fees for it.
Beyond a game of the classic Papers and Paychecks, I have trouble seeing this being especially useful in a game, so would be against charging points for it.

Press Pass is a different story- while it's part of a professional skill, it has similar benefits to PI license in getting you access to restricted areas or getting information out of people.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks