Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Shadlith

Default Dungeon Fantasy Wildcard Skills for Non-Adventures Professions

Due to reasons(tm), I was trying to find the wildcard skills the various Summoner and Sage Dungeon Fantasy professions. I have failed to find them, and was wondering if anyone either knew where they were tucked away (maybe in a book or Pyramid article I don't own or whatever) or had suggestions for them.

... Actually, as long as I'm making the thread, gathering up as many of these non-basic Profession Wildcard skills as I can into a single place would probably be useful, so might as well start that off.

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about adventuring professions not contained in the book, Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, such as Incanters from Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic or Artificers from Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages. I'm not talking about non-adventuring professions like being a barmaid or whatever.

Different Location:
Mystic Knight!: Pyramid 3-60: Dungeon Fantasy III, on page 39. Covers all the skills that a Mystic Knight would reasonably be expected to imbue + a bit of Mystic Knight-esque knowledge.

Same Article/Book:
Justicar!: Pyramid 3-10: Crime and Grime, on page 6. Covers various investigation and capturing skills.
Savage Warrior!: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians, page 11. Covers "barbaric" weapons, "rough" unarmed, and general wilderness skills.
Sea Raider!: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians, page 11. Covers ships you'd find in a sailor and tossing harpoons but no "viking" weapons.

Definitely Don't have Published Ones:
Demolisher
Dwarf (The profession)
Elf (The profession)
Musketeer
Monster Slaver

Last edited by Shadlith; 09-11-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added More
Shadlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Ejidoth

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Wildcard Skills for Non-Adventures Professions

In using Wildcard skills to simplify my Imitator character's multiple templates, I mostly ended up following the advice in GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills for template wildcards.

About twelve-ish main skills per wildcard, and it should include the template's listed Primary and Secondary skills (except weapon skills, unless the template's really about using a particular weapon). Then either trim it down, add conditional extra uses, or borrow appropriate stuff from background skills until you've got a list of twelve-ish skills.

The only one I actually ran into any trouble with using this method was Sorcerer. Turns out that template has a real shortage of primary and secondary skills.

For what it's worth, this was my attempt at "Demonologist!":
Quote:
Demonologist! (IQ) Replaces Hidden Lore (Demons), Occultism, Psychology (Demons), Thaumatology, Research, Speed‑Reading, Teaching, and Writing. Make a DX‑based roll for Innate Attack when spellcasting and a Will‑based roll for Exorcism (only vs. demons) and Meditation.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 09-10-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
OldSam

As a generic hint: Did you already get the new Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide 2020? Could help with your issue and it's awesome anyway! :)

(http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0361)

I am not really sure about wild cards skill especially...
...but as an example I searched for the Mystic Knight and many page references are there, also regarding Pyramid 3-60, maybe what you need is listed under "special skills", too..?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Shadlith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
As a generic hint: Did you already get the new Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide 2020? Could help with your issue and it's awesome anyway! :)

(http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0361)

I am not really sure about wild cards skill especially...
...but as an example I searched for the Mystic Knight and many page references are there, also regarding Pyramid 3-60, maybe what you need is listed under "special skills", too..?
I did look up the Mystic Knight in that book, but their reference is to page 27, which contains the article with all the Mystic Knight Power Ups (that page specifically being a couple of new Imbuement skills). A very important thing to reference, but unfortunately, not what I was looking for.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Ejidoth

Seeing as I already shared Demonologist, let's see what I can figure out for the others.

Artificer looks like it should be Alchemy, Armoury, Engineer (Gadgets), Fast-Draw (Gadget), Forced Entry, Lockpicking, Scrounging, and Traps, plus any other rolls to use gizmos and gadgeteered creations.

Scholar should have Cartography, Hidden Lore (all types), Research, Speed-Reading, Teaching, and Writing. They could probably have more, as that's quite a short list, but the problem with giving Scholars a really good wildcard skill is that it makes Wild Talent and Book-Learned Wisdom less interesting. Consider applying the wildcard bonus to Book-Learned Wisdom and/or letting them roll appropriate attribute-based Scholar! in place of unmodified attribute rolls for Wild Talent.

Elementalists should have Alchemy, Hazardous Materials (Magical), Hidden Lore (Elementals), Occultism, Prospecting, Psychology (Elementals), Research, Thaumatology, and probably the usual caster thing of letting them roll it for skill rolls (like Innate Attack) with their spells.

Necromancers would get Exorcism, Expert Skill (Thanatology), Fast-Talk, Hidden Lore (Undead), Occultism, Research, Search, Stealth, Thaumatology, and stuff like Brawling for hitting with melee spells etc.

Finally, Shamans look like they need Exorcism, First Aid, Hidden Lore (Spirits), Meditation, Naturalist, Pharmacy (Herbal), Stealth, Survival, and Weather Sense, and any non-spell skill rolls involved in using their spells and powers (though it doesn't look like they get anything that needs Innate Attack or similar, at a glance).

For Mystic Knights, honestly, I think they do fine with Knight! (or Swashbuckler! or Scout! for Mystic Swordsmen and Mystic Archers, respectively). They're very similar to their 'base class' outside of the imbuement stuff, which, like caster spells, probably shouldn't be in their template wildcard anyway.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
Seeing as I already shared Demonologist, let's see what I can figure out for the others.

Artificer looks like it should be Alchemy, Armoury, Engineer (Gadgets), Fast-Draw (Gadget), Forced Entry, Lockpicking, Scrounging, and Traps, plus any other rolls to use gizmos and gadgeteered creations.

Scholar should have Cartography, Hidden Lore (all types), Research, Speed-Reading, Teaching, and Writing. They could probably have more, as that's quite a short list, but the problem with giving Scholars a really good wildcard skill is that it makes Wild Talent and Book-Learned Wisdom less interesting. Consider applying the wildcard bonus to Book-Learned Wisdom and/or letting them roll appropriate attribute-based Scholar! in place of unmodified attribute rolls for Wild Talent.

Elementalists should have Alchemy, Hazardous Materials (Magical), Hidden Lore (Elementals), Occultism, Prospecting, Psychology (Elementals), Research, Thaumatology, and probably the usual caster thing of letting them roll it for skill rolls (like Innate Attack) with their spells.

Necromancers would get Exorcism, Expert Skill (Thanatology), Fast-Talk, Hidden Lore (Undead), Occultism, Research, Search, Stealth, Thaumatology, and stuff like Brawling for hitting with melee spells etc.

Finally, Shamans look like they need Exorcism, First Aid, Hidden Lore (Spirits), Meditation, Naturalist, Pharmacy (Herbal), Stealth, Survival, and Weather Sense, and any non-spell skill rolls involved in using their spells and powers (though it doesn't look like they get anything that needs Innate Attack or similar, at a glance).

For Mystic Knights, honestly, I think they do fine with Knight! (or Swashbuckler! or Scout! for Mystic Swordsmen and Mystic Archers, respectively). They're very similar to their 'base class' outside of the imbuement stuff, which, like caster spells, probably shouldn't be in their template wildcard anyway.
A list of what is in GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills is on the GURPSwiki. Relevant "off-the shelf" Non-Adventure Profession wildcards:

--Ultimate templates--
Contact!
Flunky!
Guard!
Mugger!
Orc!
Sage!
Samaritan!
Thug!

Less broad wildcards:
*Businessman! (for merchants)
*Cleric!: Any Philosophy, Religious Ritual, or Theology skill for the priest’s faith, plus Diagnosis, First Aid, Hidden Lore (Demons, Spirits, Undead, etc.), Occultism, Public Speaking, Surgery, and Teaching. In some settings is also includes Detect Lies, Diplomacy, Leadership, Politics, Propaganda, Savoir Faire, and Teaching
*Lore!
*Scholar!: Anthropology, Archaeology, Cartography, Economics, Geography, Heraldry, History, Literature, Occultism, Philosophy, Public Speaking, Sociology, Teaching, and Theology.
*Scout!
*Security!
*Servant!
*Wizard! - all the non-spell skills for spell casters such as Alchemy, Hazardous Materials (Magical), Hidden Lore (any magical specialty), Occultism, Research, Speed-Reading, Teaching, Thaumatology, and Writing.

I should mention that Power-ups 7 also cites where these came from. Cleric! for example comes from Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers and
GURPS Supers.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-10-2020 at 04:31 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
Shadlith

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Non-Adventure Profession wildcards:
... I uh. Think I should clarify what I meant by the title of this thread - I'm looking for the Wildcard Skills of the Dungeon Fantasy Professions that are not in the book, Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers. That is, the professions like Sage, Artificer, Ninja, Incanter, etc, as opposed to Cleric, Wizard, Thief (whose Wildcard skills are explained on page 18 of Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers).
Old 09-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
In using Wildcard skills to simplify my Imitator character's multiple templates, I mostly ended up following the advice in GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills for template wildcards.

About twelve-ish main skills per wildcard, and it should include the template's listed Primary and Secondary skills (except weapon skills, unless the template's really about using a particular weapon). Then either trim it down, add conditional extra uses, or borrow appropriate stuff from background skills until you've got a list of twelve-ish skills.

The only one I actually ran into any trouble with using this method was Sorcerer. Turns out that template has a real shortage of primary and secondary skills.

For what it's worth, this was my attempt at "Demonologist!":
I would allow it to substitute for Will in rolls to control demons. It's a central part of being a Demonologist.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadlith View Post
... I uh. Think I should clarify what I meant by the title of this thread - I'm looking for the Wildcard Skills of the Dungeon Fantasy Professions that are not in the book, Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers. That is, the professions like Sage, Artificer, Ninja, Incanter, etc, as opposed to Cleric, Wizard, Thief (whose Wildcard skills are explained on page 18 of Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers).
Oh. The only one Power-Ups 7 lists outside Dungeon Fantasy 1 but still in the Dungeon Fantasy series is Map! from Dungeon Fantasy 5.

I'm going through the list at GURPSwiki and adding in the sources for the world card (if they are provided).
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
Shadlith

Added a couple more to the original post, and also split up the list into 3 categories:

Professions that have the Wildcard skill tucked away somewhere else.

Professions that have the Wildcard skill in the same article.

Professions that I'm positive do not have the wildcard skill at all, so don't bother looking. I'm mostly going to stick to things like the Elf Profession for this list, where I'm reasonably sure that the only place it ever came up, ever, is in the article it was designed, and it didn't have the Wildcard skill in that article. On the other hand, I haven't found any published Wildcard skills for the Assassin, but it's gotten a bit of love even outside of where it was published, so I'm much less confident in the nonexistence of its Wildcard skill.

Tags
dungeon fantasy