Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
rogersd

Default Re: Getting the Game back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
KMunoz' Natural Encyclopedia.

Mailanka's Easy Peasy Homebrew Monsters Thread.

KMunoz' (and various forumites') It Came From The Forums.
Thanks. I have looked through these and I believe that I will try Gurps Dungeon Fantasy. If it doesn't work out or the players really balk then AD&D can be a comfortable standby.

Thank you once again, as should Steve Jackson Games. I need to get Gurps Magic and more of the Dungeon Fantasy series.

Dave.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd View Post
Thank you once again, as should Steve Jackson Games. I need to get Gurps Magic and more of the Dungeon Fantasy series.

Dave.
I'd put the minimum at the Basic Set, Magic, and DF 1-3. Anything other than that is just gravy. Although DF8 really does have the most fantastic loot, if that's gonna be a focus of your game.

EDIT: Oh, and no need to thank me. I'm just bored and home alone. It makes me happy to give GMs the tools to enjoy their games. :-)

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 01-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
DAT

Crakkerjakk ninja'd most of this before I could hit submit, but I'll post it anyway ...

I would also suggest running something you enjoy and are familar with. I think it makes for a better gaming experience if the GM enjoys the system and setting they are running. You definitely want to leave everyone with a positive experience the first time out, especially 'Casual Gamers'.

If everyone in the group has an initial 'Casual Gamer' attitude, I'd definetly stick with Dungeon Fantasy to start with. It isn't too complex (go kill monsters and take their stuff) and they have already been exposed to it from AD&D. My experience is that Space Opera setting are normally more complex (what technology is there and what does it do) and have more of a learning curve.

If I was in your place, I'd go with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and just use an AD&D module. I'm actually running a group through "B2: Keep on the Borderlands" right now. I don't have any monsters written up, I mostly just wing it for each encounter. But some people on the GURPS sub-forum have the AD&D monster manual monsters already converted.

My players are also new to GURPS, so I started with weak opponents in the first few encounters so that they could get a feel for what works and what doesn't. The party is: a Human Barbarian, a Wood Elf Scout, a Shadow Elf Thief, and a Human Wizard (built on 275 points).

Their first few encounters (fairly close to the Keep) were:
1) 4 Human bandits with DR 1 cloth armor, HP:10, HT:10, Shortsword (skill 12) 1d-2 imp/1d cut. [A simple straight on encounter]

2) as 1) plus 2 bandits with above plus crossbows (skill 12) 1d+2imp. [Learned about missile weapons the hard way - these aren't AD&D crossbows].

3) as 2) plus a bandit leader with DR 2 leather, HP:12, HT:12, Broadsword (skill 14) 1d cr/2d cut, Medium Shield (skill 12). [learned the value of a shield.]

[At this point they went back to the Keep, collected their bounty for killing bandits, and upgraded their gear. On their way to the Caves they encountered a hunting party ...]

4) 6 Goblins Riding Worgs - (I had them meet 2, then 4 seconds later the others showed up, just as they dropped the last of the first 2)
Goblins - DR 2 leather, HP:12, HT:12, Sabers (skill 14)1d+2 cut, Medium Shield (skill 12)
Worgs - I used the "800 lb pony" description from Basic Campaigns [B.460] and gave them a bite attack (Brawling 14) 2d cut, DR1, Move 9 [like in LOTRs]

[In one of the Caves ...]
5) 8 Goblin Guards with DR 2 leather, HP:10, HT:10, Shortsword (skill 12) 1d-2 imp/1d cut, Medium Shield (skill 12)

etc. ...

If the players have problems with the first couple encounters, make the opponets weaker (lower skill, less DR, etc). If the player chew up their opponets, make the next encounter a bit tougher. If combats bog down too much, start using mook rules (any damage and the opponet stops fighting) or modified mook rules (opponet automatical fails any HT roll).

With a little play, you'll be able to determine what level of play the players are comfortable with. Before you start playing, you need to learn what your players expectations are, e.g., if they are expecting to carve through dozens of lesser foes with little effort, it is time to start with mook rules.

Hope this is useful.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
rogersd

Quote:
I'd put the minimum at the Basic Set, Magic, and DF 1-3. Anything other than that is just gravy. Although DF8 really does have the most fantastic loot, if that's gonna be a focus of your game.

EDIT: Oh, and no need to thank me. I'm just bored and home alone. It makes me happy to give GMs the tools to enjoy their games. :-)
Thanks again. I have the Basic Set, DF 1-3 already, but I lack Magic. I've also got Powers, Fantasy, and Bio-Tech. I may purchase Magic as a pdf, though I prefer the dead tree versions of books, but a pdf means I can get it and start reading it right away.

Dave.

Last edited by rogersd; 01-06-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: additions
rogersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #25
rogersd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Crakkerjakk ninja'd most of this before I could hit submit, but I'll post it anyway ...

I would also suggest running something you enjoy and are familar with. I think it makes for a better gaming experience if the GM enjoys the system and setting they are running. You definitely want to leave everyone with a positive experience the first time out, especially 'Casual Gamers'.

If everyone in the group has an initial 'Casual Gamer' attitude, I'd definetly stick with Dungeon Fantasy to start with. It isn't too complex (go kill monsters and take their stuff) and they have already been exposed to it from AD&D. My experience is that Space Opera setting are normally more complex (what technology is there and what does it do) and have more of a learning curve.

If I was in your place, I'd go with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and just use an AD&D module. I'm actually running a group through "B2: Keep on the Borderlands" right now. I don't have any monsters written up, I mostly just wing it for each encounter. But some people on the GURPS sub-forum have the AD&D monster manual monsters already converted.

My players are also new to GURPS, so I started with weak opponents in the first few encounters so that they could get a feel for what works and what doesn't. The party is: a Human Barbarian, a Wood Elf Scout, a Shadow Elf Thief, and a Human Wizard (built on 275 points).

Their first few encounters (fairly close to the Keep) were:
1) 4 Human bandits with DR 1 cloth armor, HP:10, HT:10, Shortsword (skill 12) 1d-2 imp/1d cut. [A simple straight on encounter]

2) as 1) plus 2 bandits with above plus crossbows (skill 12) 1d+2imp. [Learned about missile weapons the hard way - these aren't AD&D crossbows].

3) as 2) plus a bandit leader with DR 2 leather, HP:12, HT:12, Broadsword (skill 14) 1d cr/2d cut, Medium Shield (skill 12). [learned the value of a shield.]

[At this point they went back to the Keep, collected their bounty for killing bandits, and upgraded their gear. On their way to the Caves they encountered a hunting party ...]

4) 6 Goblins Riding Worgs - (I had them meet 2, then 4 seconds later the others showed up, just as they dropped the last of the first 2)
Goblins - DR 2 leather, HP:12, HT:12, Sabers (skill 14)1d+2 cut, Medium Shield (skill 12)
Worgs - I used the "800 lb pony" description from Basic Campaigns [B.460] and gave them a bite attack (Brawling 14) 2d cut, DR1, Move 9 [like in LOTRs]

[In one of the Caves ...]
5) 8 Goblin Guards with DR 2 leather, HP:10, HT:10, Shortsword (skill 12) 1d-2 imp/1d cut, Medium Shield (skill 12)

etc. ...

If the players have problems with the first couple encounters, make the opponets weaker (lower skill, less DR, etc). If the player chew up their opponets, make the next encounter a bit tougher. If combats bog down too much, start using mook rules (any damage and the opponet stops fighting) or modified mook rules (opponet automatical fails any HT roll).

With a little play, you'll be able to determine what level of play the players are comfortable with. Before you start playing, you need to learn what your players expectations are, e.g., if they are expecting to carve through dozens of lesser foes with little effort, it is time to start with mook rules.

Hope this is useful.
-Dan
This is very useful and very much appreciated. I have the HackMaster version of this classic module and I may just look at adapting that with some of the resources pointed out by Crakkerjack around the monsters.

Thanks,
Dave.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #26
whswhs

One of the things I routinely try to do is to hit the PCs, in the first session, with a combat situation involving some comparatively easy opponents, or some constraints on lethality such as formal duelling (where you don't want to fight to the death, because you'll face charges of murder). That gets them familiar with how combat flows, and where to look for things on their character sheets, without penalizing them for not yet knowing the rules. You can even have a skilled combatant ready to rescue them, though they shouldn't end up having rescuers waiting to save their butts in later sessions . . . just once at the outset.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
rogersd

I have uploaded my player style questionnaire to Scribd and have placed a link here.

Hope you can find it useful.
Dave.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
rogersd

So, I just finished my first session which amounted to creating one character. The other two players couldn't make it for work and family reasons. So we have chosen to use Gurps for the system and made the first character using DF1 and DF3 to create a Scout-Druid. Since there are only three players at this time I will be encouraging them to dual class to cover all of the needed areas of magic, fighting and healing.

I'm going to use on old D&D adventure adapted to Gurps for our first delve. We are looking at basing things in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting following the first adventures when breaking out into the broader world.

I would like to thank all of you for the advice given here and welcome any more that you may give. I should also mention that the player complimented how well the system seemed to be put together and the ease with which the Dungeon Fantasy resources made character creation.

I already have plans to catch up with the other two players on Wednesday and get their characters made.

I have the first three DF books and Gurps Magic as suggested in an earlier post. Are there other Gurps resources I should be looking for? I feel that I am in a good position for the next while.

Dave.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #29
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
I would like to thank all of you for the advice given here and welcome any more that you may give. I should also mention that the player complimented how well the system seemed to be put together and the ease with which the Dungeon Fantasy resources made character creation.
Glad to hear it went smoothly.

Quote:
I have the first three DF books and Gurps Magic as suggested in an earlier post. Are there other Gurps resources I should be looking for? I feel that I am in a good position for the next while.

Dave.
Mmmm... not really. There's more you could use, but not really any you need. Really all the DF releases are awesome, but if I had to pick a couple, Treasure Tables would probably be up there, Taverns whenever it comes out may cover more of the "back at town" side of things, and Allies might be good for when your scout-druid wants an animal companion or the ability to shift into a grizzly bear.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #30
rogersd

Quote:
Mmmm... not really. There's more you could use, but not really any you need. Really all the DF releases are awesome, but if I had to pick a couple, Treasure Tables would probably be up there, Taverns whenever it comes out may cover more of the "back at town" side of things, and Allies might be good for when your scout-druid wants an animal companion or the ability to shift into a grizzly bear.
Treasure tables was the one that immediately struck me, but I will wait until we have finished the old TSR module that I have converted to get it. The scout-druid will definitely want to do that. He appears to be emerging as a bit more of a power gamer than I had originally thought.

Dave.

Tags
players, robin's laws, survey