Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default Pump Action Bow?

The link goes to a youtube video showcasing a mechanism which can be attached to a bow. I think the idea is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Hy...ature=youtu.be

In GURPS terms, how would you model this idea?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Pump Action Bow?

I love his channel; he even has one that would work for TL1 or TL2.; the spring for the loading mechanism is just another arrow.
In GURPS terms, there's no need to (fast)draw an arrow. The bow might be slightly underpowered since it has a limit to its draw distance. Also, you never get surprise because you have to shout "Let me show you its features!" in a german accent before firing.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Anthony

Despite his explanation of why it's not technically a crossbow, in practical terms it's a self-loading crossbow (his replacement of a trigger is dependent on it being attached to a modern compound bow).
Old 12-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Despite his explanation of why it's not technically a crossbow, in practical terms it's a self-loading crossbow (his replacement of a trigger is dependent on it being attached to a modern compound bow).
Not so with the second one (the 70 pounder), that one could easily replace the trigger with two finger holds, one front, one rear, keeping it completely a regular 'bow'. Even using a non-compound bow.

As for the advantage, well, clearly it's a self-loading bow. The only mechanical advantage would be in a longer draw hold, possibly allowing for longer Aim times, going into the Extended Aiming from Tactical Shooting.

And just walking around with it loaded, cocked drawn, and ready to fire, which is a niche advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Not so with the second one (the 70 pounder), that one could easily replace the trigger with two finger holds, one front, one rear, keeping it completely a regular 'bow'. Even using a non-compound bow.
The lack of a trigger may be the legal distinction, but the presence of the stock is what makes me say that in GURPS terms it would be a crossbow.

He was able to hold with one finger because it was a dropoff to 10 pounds. A conventional or composite bow doesn't have that dropoff and you'd be holding 70 pounds (or more, compound is higher energy at the same draw weight), which is a lot more challenging to do with a finger and would strongly encourage you to convert it to a trigger mechanism.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A conventional or composite bow doesn't have that dropoff and you'd be holding 70 pounds (or more, compound is higher energy at the same draw weight), which is a lot more challenging to do with a finger and would strongly encourage you to convert it to a trigger mechanism.
Sure. But despite the the frame and trigger, I wouldn't call it a crossbow for game purposes.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Well, it became a crossbow in the end, I believe.

https://youtu.be/P2WhUu15B5E
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

sorta...

The same guy also designed that. He mentions it in the first video.

Last edited by Johnny Angel; 12-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

It's a good thing you're a doctor of necromancy and not history Dr. Kromm, cause that timeline is messed up...

He's been working on variations of his autoloading crossbow for years, he's only really gotten into bows in the last two years or so, while his oldest autoloading stuff goes back 6 years.

The evolution of the channel:

10 years ago slingshots.
9 - slingbows (firing arrows out of slingshots).
8 - firing weird things out of slingshots.
7 - crossbows, multifiring stuff.
6 - autoloading sling shot and sling bolt thrower weapons. And even weirder ammo.
5-3 - Just more of the above, plus airpowered arrow and shot shooters.
2 years and less, he starting getting into proper bows.
Dec 3 2016 his first actual pump action autoloading crossbow, homemade with parts from a crossbow.
Aug 2017 "Instant Legolas" his first autoloading bow.
Nov 2018, his first mass produced autoloading crossbow.
Sep 2018, Jorge makes his first Cobra R9 autoloading pump action crossbow.
Which was the prototype of the finished product in your video dated Mar 2019... which is then followed by his other 'Instant' Bows (autoloaders):
The Instant Mongolian (Aug 2019), The Instant Legolini (miniLegolas autoloading slingbow, Sep 2019), The Instant Robin Hood (Oct 2019)...

This leads into his two weeks ago videos of the "pump-action" Bow, which is not really "pump" action at all, but a different pull and release mechanism with a sliding bow autoloader.

And then there's this monster (video dropped yesterday)... which I want written up for DF.

What? Why yes, I have been following Joerg for years... since 2010 or so actually. I came for chaingun slingshot and stayed for the features.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I love his channel; he even has one that would work for TL1 or TL2.; the spring for the loading mechanism is just another arrow.
In GURPS terms, there's no need to (fast)draw an arrow. The bow might be slightly underpowered since it has a limit to its draw distance. Also, you never get surprise because you have to shout "Let me show you its features!" in a german accent before firing.
I feel as though that may be a great basis for a sentient magic weapon.

-PC wants to try stealth or diplomacy
Bow: "C'mon, just let me show my features to those goblins over there."
-PC attacks
Bow: "Let me show you my features!"

Tags
bow design, crossbows