Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Tech Level for a Fantasy Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Cannon can reduce a castle to a pile of rubble pretty easily. However a pile of rubble still makes a decent defensive position.
Canon aren't nukes. They have limits and well built fortifications wouldn't fall immediately.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45 AM   #32
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
My major fantasy castles have always had arbalest turrets and archers on the walkways as precautions against aerial assault, and a guarded underground complex so as not to be taken off guard by sappers and to give the inhabitants a place to retreat from overwhelming surface assaults. Many "dungeons" were the intact subterranean component of a destroyed fortification.
Magic may also make them smaller for a given population, which will make defending them easier
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #33
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Winterfell can't have magically created food in a setting where the "wizards" can't even light candles. On the other hand the novels definitely say there's a town nearby, and given the climate I think we can expect that Winterfell sustains itself like say a castle in Gotland would in our history.
IIRC from the books, Winterfell was also built on top of an active geothermal duct, and had something that resembled greenhouses for fresh vegetables, to help it through the many-years-long winters where the inhabitants relied on preserved food stored in the cellars.

I have no idea if any of that existed/exists in the TV show, though, and events made it impossible to prepare properly for the winter, anyway.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #34
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
And it's not like fortresses went away, or stopped being built. The designs changed to better resist and utilize artillery, so they didn't look like what we think of as a castle anymore past a certain point...

The social changes also made it much less likely over time that a new fortress would be built as the seat of a land-holding lord, which often was the role of earlier castles.
Military fortresses would not be built as the seat of a land-holding lord. Obviously many land-holding lords would still have interest in keeping a rock from a disgruntled tenant from coming through the window.

Tags
fantasy, medieval, tech, tech level, world creation