Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Boge

Default Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Archer)

1. Our group feels with certain weapons for Weapon Master the cost isn't balanced real well. For Weapon Master Bow you get less damage bonus (comparitively to swing bonuses at ST13+), you don't get the reduced multiple parry bonus. Same can be said for other weapons that only use thrust or no parries. We feel the cost for certain specialties should be reduced a bit and I'm looking for suggestions on what a fair reduced cost would be. For instance, Weapon Master (Bow) should be 12 or 15 points rather than 20.

2. The book suggests "knightly weapons" as a group. What other groupings are there in any of the books, if any? What would you suggest? What about something with an archer or ranger using primarily bows?

Last edited by Boge; 07-14-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
1. Our group feels with certain weapons for Weapon Master the cost isn't balanced real well. For Weapon Master Bow you get less damage bonus (comparitively to swing bonuses at ST13+), you don't get the reduced multiple parry bonus. Same can be said for other weapons that only use thrust or no parries. We feel it should be reduced a bit and I'm looking for suggestions on what a fair reduced cost would be.
In my wuxia campaign I turned the bonus per die into a flat bonus and that worked out GREAT. Each +1/die = +2

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Weapon master (Bow) cost reduction, and suggestions on Weapon Master (Ranger/Arch

1. I highly recommend customizing Weapon Master with a fabulous Christopher R. Rice creation:

https://www.ravensnpennies.com/gurps...er-advantages/

2. Ninja Weapons from DF 12 is the only one that jumps to mind.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Boge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In my wuxia campaign I turned the bonus per die into a flat bonus and that worked out GREAT. Each +1/die = +2
Could you expand on that a bit? I don't understand "Each +1/die = +2"
Old 07-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Could you expand on that a bit? I don't understand "Each +1/die = +2"
For Weapon Master you get a +1/die damage boost at skill level of DX+1 or +2/die at DX+2 or greater. This simply turns the per die bonus you'd get into a flat bonus. So if you knew Bow at DX+2 and had Weapon Master (Bow) then you'd get +4 to damage instead of +2/die.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Using the Basic Set, you could just declare a list of Ranger weapons. Might look something like:

Weapon Master: Ranger Weapons (Shortbow, Longbow, Knife, Broadsword, Shortsword, Staff, and spear) Medium group [35]

... Or chose 4 of those to call a small class for [30]
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
Farmer

A good way to increase bow damage is to take the Strong Bow perk. It allows you to pull a heavier / higher ST bow which gives you another +1 to damage, effectively. You could just incorporate that into Weapon Master (Bow) for free.

If you want to get more "value" into the advantage, allow Fast Draw (bow) and Fast Draw (Arrow) at bow skill level without needing separate skills if you have Weapon Master (bow). Note it also gives you access to Zen Archery (with Bow 18+ and Meditation), which can be nice at times.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

In the past I allowed those with Weapon Master bow to add their Bow skill level to ST to determine the best draw strength they could use. So if you had Bow at DX+5, then you'd add +5 to your ST to determine the highest ST bow you could use. It subsumed Strongbow completely.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Boge

I kinda love these ideas! Thanks guys, and keep 'em coming if you have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
For Weapon Master you get a +1/die damage boost at skill level of DX+1 or +2/die at DX+2 or greater. This simply turns the per die bonus you'd get into a flat bonus. So if you knew Bow at DX+2 and had Weapon Master (Bow) then you'd get +4 to damage instead of +2/die.
I'm still not quite understanding. Can you give me some comparison examples, say someone with Broadsword skill at 16 (DX+3) vs Bow at 18 (DX+5)? And how would it change with higher or lower skills? Sorry...I'm feeling stupid right now.

Most of the time our players have higher than skill+2, so does it continue to get higher with skill or does it cap at a certain point? What damage would my ST 13 Broadsword skill 22 be doing with Weapon Master Broadsword?
Old 07-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
A good way to increase bow damage is to take the Strong Bow perk.
Also take the Foot Archery Style from Martial Arts. That allows 3 levels of Arm ST with special exercises. This can turn a guy with 14 ST for a abse into a user of a 19 ST bow. That gives him 2d-1 Thrusting wihich helps out the WM issue.

Generally i would not sweat the WM/Bow thing. Every point of bow damage is so important that the 20pts is totally worth it. It's Heroic Archer that I'm iffy about.