Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2022, 11:30 PM   #11
KarlKost

Default Re: Powers that require maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
just the ability shutting down instead of all of you shutting down is a pretty good deal in most cases, I don't know why it's a full-price discount
Because you can still buy the Disadvantage besides just the limitations
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:54 PM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Because you can still buy the Disadvantage besides just the limitations
I don't think that's mandatory, like at one point I think we had a mockup for a bionic arm as a 0pt feature where only the arm was Electrical without your core organic body needing to be.

+1 ST (switchable, Temporary Disadvantage : All of me is Electrical) seems way worse than +1 ST ( Temporary Disadvantage Shutdown : merely my arm is Electrical) yet it seems priced the same.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #13
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't think that's mandatory, like at one point I think we had a mockup for a bionic arm as a 0pt feature where only the arm was Electrical without your core organic body needing to be.

+1 ST (switchable, Temporary Disadvantage : All of me is Electrical) seems way worse than +1 ST ( Temporary Disadvantage Shutdown : merely my arm is Electrical) yet it seems priced the same.
Yes, that's what I meant. You can have the full discount on the advantage because it afects just the advantage, not anything else (unless you also include it for other traits)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. You can have the full discount on the advantage because it afects just the advantage, not anything else (unless you also include it for other traits)
The point being normally if you take Temporary Disadvantage on a switchable ability it will affect your entire person not just shutdown the advantage.

I'm thinking maybe what might balance this out is that your traditional Temporary Disadvantage is avoidable (you don't need to be Electrical if you don't want to be at that moment - just don't switch your ability on) ?

Whereas with this version, it might be that you suffer the disadvantage 100% of the time (ie cannot make your bionic arm non-Electrical as it is convenient) but the benefit for that drawback is it will only affect that ability.