Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2022, 04:41 AM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Switched to Sorcery, please help me redo some spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
The thing that crosses my mind with Fashion is it could enable you to wear enchanted clothes that don't otherwise fit you. But that only matters if the GM is strict about that sort of thing.
If it does work, so would mundane tailoring.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
40 lbs seems overkill for one outfit at a tme and 6 points too expensive for just a costume change.

It's useful, but it's also trivially accomplished without magic.
Level 1 and 10 lbs of clothing for 3 CP would also be an option.

However, in a game of corporate espionage, the ability to instantly adjust everyone's outfits is pretty powerful. Sneak in disguised as janitors in dirty overalls, then instantly change into top-of-the-line corporate power suits that you didn't have to bring with you? I'd pay a couple of CP for that ability - especially since it's probably an alternate ability and I'm only paying 2 CP.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
However, in a game of corporate espionage, the ability to instantly adjust everyone's outfits is pretty powerful. Sneak in disguised as janitors in dirty overalls, then instantly change into top-of-the-line corporate power suits that you didn't have to bring with you? I'd pay a couple of CP for that ability - especially since it's probably an alternate ability and I'm only paying 2 CP.
You could do this with a gym bag though.

"Able to change clothes" isn't, obviously, an ability. So the ability here is "change clothes instantly" and "has any possible outfit". The first is a schtick perk. The second isn't probably worth much, since settled characters already get this for their Status as part of having a wardrobe.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
naloth

Quote:

"Able to change clothes" isn't, obviously, an ability. So the ability here is "change clothes instantly" and "has any possible outfit". The first is a schtick perk. The second isn't probably worth much, since settled characters already get this for their Status as part of having a wardrobe.
It's a bit more powerful than that. "Any possible outfit" on demand (meaning I don't have to lug it around) is more than a perk. Last, this works on "any voluntary subject" which means you can quick change your friends as well. 4-6 points isn't a bad price for all of that (especially since it will likely be an AA), but I'd make it maintained rather that permanent.

Last edited by naloth; 04-01-2022 at 12:28 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #15
mlangsdorf

Quote:
No, you can't do that with a gym bag. If you get searched by security while you're in your janitor outfit, they have may questions about why your gym bag is full of expensive clothing.

The utility is in having whatever outfits you need, and not needing to smuggle those outfits past security. And being able to replace damaged/bloodied outfits, again as needed.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #16
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
No, you can't do that with a gym bag. If you get searched by security while you're in your janitor outfit, they have may questions about why your gym bag is full of expensive clothing.

The utility is in having whatever outfits you need, and not needing to smuggle those outfits past security. And being able to replace damaged/bloodied outfits, again as needed.
Not to mention the obvious uses while Shadowing, or the many possible social situations that require just the right clothes.
And I guess the spell can disguise armor, obviously it won't pass a close inspection, but people just seeing you from a distance won't be able to tell that you're wearing body armor until you survive the first shot.

I still think it's more than a perk, but still something minor as far as spells go.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
And I guess the spell can disguise armor, obviously it won't pass a close inspection,
If the armor has the "as or under clothing" notation attached to its' table entry maybe. Trying to put a high fashion Tuxedo over a Combat Hardsuit is going to get big minuses.

Tags
shadowrun, sorcery, spells