Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #31
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Anthro-Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
You decided on two levels, I see. You may also want to edit the final sentence of the post.
Well that's what the killer penguins had.

Now unless anyone thinks I'm missing something let go on to their Style

ok you Suggeded I look at Aikijutsu

Spheniscan-fu [3]

Skills: Judo; Shortsword

Techniques: Acrobatic Stand; Break Fall; Close Combat (Shortsword); Disarming (Shortsword); Feint (Shortsword); Ground Fighting (Shortsword); Judo Throw; Low Fighting (Judo); Retain
Weapon (Shortsword); Targeted Attack (Judo Grapple/Arm); Targeted Attack (Shortsword Swing/Arm); Targeted Attack (Shortsword Thrust/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Shortsword Thrust/Vitals Chinks).

Cinematic Skills: Immovable Stance; Pressure Points; Push.

Cinematic Techniques: Attack from Above; Roll with Blow.

Perks: Armor Familiarity; Naval Training; Skill Adaptation (Acrobatic Stand defaults to Judo); Sure-Footed (Slippery).

Shortsword for the Cutlass

Armor Familiarity is for their manica normal worn on their 'empty hand' side to help with judo parrying armed opponents.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

I would consider some sort of parrying staff. Like a 3' long or so beaked staff designed primarly as an off hand parry weapon.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #33
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I would consider some sort of parrying staff. Like a 3' long or so beaked staff designed primarly as an off hand parry weapon.
Would that not get in the way of the Judo Parry/Throw? To deal with an 'slow learners' about heavy armor at sea?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #34
Verjigorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Would that not get in the way of the Judo Parry/Throw? To deal with an 'slow learners' about heavy armor at sea?
Sure, but it also gets in the way of "dying". Which is handy.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #35
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Sure, but it also gets in the way of "dying". Which is handy.
That's what the Scale mail manica is for 8)

Also their style requires them to be able to swim with the weapon, and pole/staff weapons have a lot of drag.

I don't have low tech, Anyone know the the Stats for a Scale Mail manica (+ gauntlet) ? especialon one the be plated againt rusting in their maritime embitterment?

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-12-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #36
Verjigorm

Quote:
That's what the Scale mail manica is for 8)

Also their style requires them to be able to swim with the weapon, and pole/staff weapons have a lot of drag.
I'm suggesting a 3' long pointy parrying stick. I doubt all the penguins will be exactly the same in equipment, right?

I don't have low tech, Anyone know the the Stats for a Scale Mail manica (+ gauntlet) ? especialon one the be plated againt rusting in their maritime embitterment?[/QUOTE]

Light bronze segmented plate covering the whole arm is DR3, Cost $1800, 8lbs. You can scale up, but it gets expensive, because bronze is expensive. Gives a great motive for these penguins though: they can work metal, but they don't have a suitable source. We can also fiddle with making the off wing manica heavier, though I gotta wonder how it will impact their swimming. If sharkskin(or some other maritime monster with tough skin) doesn't stretch suspension of disbelief, we can give them a fairly cheap alternative to bronze plate.

A question I have is if you are using the optional encumbrance rules for jumping? Because that may reduce the ability of heavily armored penguins to board by jumping from the water, necessitating lighter pirates who intercept the ships, board initially and attach grapple lines for the heavier Penguins to board.

Something else I'm thinking of is: Extra Arms(foot manipulators) for extremely agile and clever feet hands, as it were. Penguins already use their feet to manipulator objects to a degree, why can't anthromorphic penguins who are expert sword fighters have feet manipulators? And, it's integral to the battle plan: the first pirates into the water are grapnels and javelins, and they overtake the targeted vessel rapidly. They use the grapnels and team work to slow the ship, while the others throw javelins at any of the ships crew who attemped to sever the tow lines, but they need the use of their hands, and if the only hands they have are their "normal" ones, then it wont work. This also gives them a better chance at doing funky grappling tricks too.

And I don't have a name for it, but here's a technique for javelins and move and attack:

Rush(Hard)
Default: Thrown Weapon -5
Prerequisite: Thrown Weapon Skill; Cannot exceed Thrown Weapon skill.
A thrown attack made at the run, Rushes are less accurate but have increased impetus. It is a special option for Committed Attacks, and All Out Attack. The rules below replace the standard ones for those maneuvers.
As a Committed Attack, a Rush requires at least two steps forward. Roll at Rush to hit, with a penalty equal to the weapon's bulk. +1 Damage and +1 to ST for range. Afterward you cannot dodge or retreat until next turn, and have -2 on all other active defenses. On a miss, make a DX check to avoid a fall.
As an All-Out attack, Rush requires your to move at least half your move(minimum 2 yards). Roll against Rush to hit, with a penalty equal to the weapon's bulk. Damage is +2 or +1/die, whichever is greater and +2 ST for range. On a miss, make a DX-2 to avoid falling. Hit or miss, you have not defenses at all until next turn.

I made up Rush(I haven't figured a good name for it yet)as a way to model the short run-ups necessary for distance and power for roman and greek skirmishers, but I've also used it for giants with enhanced move. For really fast movers, I allow the damage to be figured as a slam. Up to you if you think that's fair for your penguins or not, but the technique is fairly sound, I feel.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #37
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I'm suggesting a 3' long pointy parrying stick. I doubt all the penguins will be exactly the same in equipment, right?
No but that doesn't mean it's part of the dominate style either. Though it does raise the question is how big of a vessel would they have hence how many have to stay being behind with the ship, and how many can board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
I don't have low tech, Anyone know the the Stats for a Scale Mail manica (+ gauntlet) ? especialon one the be plated againt rusting in their maritime embitterment?
Quote:
Light bronze segmented plate covering the whole arm is DR3, Cost $1800, 8lbs. You can scale up, but it gets expensive, because bronze is expensive. Gives a great motive for these penguins though: they can work metal, but they don't have a suitable source. We can also fiddle with making the off wing manica heavier, though I gotta wonder how it will impact their swimming. If sharkskin(or some other maritime monster with tough skin) doesn't stretch suspension of disbelief, we can give them a fairly cheap alternative to bronze plate.
Well is Bronze cheaper than plating steel in gold. given silver tarnishes i don't know how gong silver plating would do to prevent rust.

As for sharkskin or the ilk would that just be swapping rotting for rusting?

But it does question how to adapt Spheniscan-fu to also be useful for fightin under water against said sharks (Look of the the Penguin's revenge Orcas) and other fantasy sea monster. After all they will be as mch a threat to the pirate as other sailors.

Quote:
A question I have is if you are using the optional encumbrance rules for jumping? Because that may reduce the ability of heavily armored penguins to board by jumping from the water, necessitating lighter pirates who intercept the ships, board initially and attach grapple lines for the heavier Penguins to board.
No my primary purpose is high fantasy so not really using any of the gritty options, BUT I want enough leyway in the build to be useful to other that want them in such a campaign. (basically like build with such dials)

Quote:
And I don't have a name for it, but here's a technique for javelins and move and attack:

Rush(Hard)
Default: Thrown Weapon -5
Prerequisite: Thrown Weapon Skill; Cannot exceed Thrown Weapon skill.
A thrown attack made at the run, Rushes are less accurate but have increased impetus. It is a special option for Committed Attacks, and All Out Attack. The rules below replace the standard ones for those maneuvers.
As a Committed Attack, a Rush requires at least two steps forward. Roll at Rush to hit, with a penalty equal to the weapon's bulk. +1 Damage and +1 to ST for range. Afterward you cannot dodge or retreat until next turn, and have -2 on all other active defenses. On a miss, make a DX check to avoid a fall.
As an All-Out attack, Rush requires your to move at least half your move(minimum 2 yards). Roll against Rush to hit, with a penalty equal to the weapon's bulk. Damage is +2 or +1/die, whichever is greater and +2 ST for range. On a miss, make a DX-2 to avoid falling. Hit or miss, you have not defenses at all until next turn.

I made up Rush(I haven't figured a good name for it yet)as a way to model the short run-ups necessary for distance and power for roman and greek skirmishers, but I've also used it for giants with enhanced move. For really fast movers, I allow the damage to be figured as a slam. Up to you if you think that's fair for your penguins or not, but the technique is fairly sound, I feel.
Nice, might add Fast Draw (Cutass) that i was considering adding after all. I was envisioning them leap with sword already drawn, but leaping with a javelins dawn and doing 'Death from Above with them' landing and drawing the swords would be useful, the judo style does help the a bit if the crew was ready for them and can get to them before the draw their swords.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #38
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

How would people rebuild the head-but technique to be the a 'peck' technique for the brawlers among them?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #39
Verjigorm

Quote:
How would people rebuild the head-but technique to be the a 'peck' technique for the brawlers among them?
I would consider either striker or a large piercing beak, and it's DX at thrust -1. Head butt is a manuever for humans whose heads are not made for striking. Penguins have beaks that are made for striking. Also, I think beaking should be intregal to their style: much like having a dagger i nthe off hand.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #40
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I would consider either striker or a large piercing beak, and it's DX at thrust -1. Head butt is a manuever for humans whose heads are not made for striking. Penguins have beaks that are made for striking. Also, I think beaking should be intregal to their style: much like having a dagger i nthe off hand.
No i don't see it being an integral part of the style, it more like a 'dirty trick' in close combat, but like head butt, as it bought much like a horn is, it does not have a lot of the raw backs of the head but true. It is however extremism short ranged and required them to put the face in harms way, it more a desperation attack for them, or simply to be mean.

A Dagger at leas is C,1, i See the Beak as C only

Tags
races, racial templates, shielded-lands, styles