Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Anders

Default Martial Arts for Wizards

So, wizards are usually not expected to fight in close combat. If they do, they've done something wrong. But sometimes the stars align in a certain way and that minotaur barbarian is headed your way.

There's an added realism for wizards knowing a martialt art in GURPS because they should really do a lot of cardio training. After all, FP is their fuel. So a little training never comes amiss.

So far I have identified two styles as especially promising for wizards - quarterstaff and escrima for wand-fighting (although a less aggressive stick fighting method might be preferred). Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Martial Arts for Wizards

I was playing a proto-DF campaign when Martial Arts was new, and Quarterstaff seemed the best bet. A classical wizard wants a defensively focused combat style that doesn't eat up lots of character points, and Q-staff fits nicely.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Dual wielding quarterstaff and bastard sword, baby. If Sir Ian can do it, so can you!
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Psychotime

Ever heard of the Japanese comic Fairy Tail?

It turns to crap pretty early on, but practically all of the wizards in it specialize in one college of magic and back the rest up with martial arts.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Dual wielding quarterstaff and bastard sword, baby. If Sir Ian can do it, so can you!
This is objectively not true. Sir Ian can do a plethora of things that I have no hope of accomplishing. Act, for one thing. Look distinguished and be considered a sex symbol at seventy*. Have sex with men**.

*If I'm not attractive in my youth, I think it would be frightfully optimistic of me to expect things to change when I grow old.
**I cannot help but think that homosexuality has got to be more convenient than this damnably complex business of mating, which also risks the production of squalling infants. Alas, though, the male form is so repulsive as to make it unthinkable. I wonder how women manage?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
This is objectively not true. Sir Ian can do a plethora of things that I have no hope of accomplishing. Act, for one thing. Look distinguished and attractive at seventy*. Have sex with men**.

*If I'm not attractive in my youth, I think it would be frightfully optimistic of me to expect things to change when I grow old.
**I cannot help but think that homosexuality has got to be more convenient than this damnably complex business of mating, which also risks the production of squalling infants. Alas, though, the male form is so repulsive as to make it unthinkable. I wonder how women manage?
Way off topic after the post.

Jojustu, add broadswords, with off-hand weapon training Broadsowrd. Your staff will make an excellent touch weapon. That's my armed Martial Art of choice.

*Men tend to age much more gracefully than women. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about looks as you age.
** From my understanding, it often is. The number of times I have been propositioned by men. My life would be far better were I gay. Women manage because of a biological imperative.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Randover

I will go for q-staff as well. Its first and only choice for ST weak wizard.

Shields chould be also an option. Almost Warcraft 3 like Spellbrakers. Or Diablo 2 socerrers and necromancers carring wand and shield.

If you view Jedi as wizard Lightsaber is a good choice. Two-handed variant could be stylish for wizard. Light weapon, and maybe super defensive.

Of course Acrobacy might also be an option.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Anders

Smallsword and short batons (i.e. wands)?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
nanoboy

Quarterstaff is probably the best option, as others have mentioned. It's good defensively, and on a hit, it does respectable damage. If available, a naginata is a decent pick, and a spear works, too. I would avoid a shield, since mobility is probably a better defense for wizards.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Does anyone have any other ideas?
A tactically wise style based around a very useful skill for when the FP get low...Running and perhaps the Evasion Technique!!

Tags
martial art, wizards