Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #31
Jeffr0

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
The "one saucer & one Warp Engine" designs that were in the old Franz Joseph book are now also kind of 'canon' now after seeing the USS Kelvin in the J.J. Abrams movie.
I have the Franz Joseph book-- there is also a tug, a three warp engined Dreadnought ship... and single warp engined Scout... in addition to the single engine Destroyer that you mention.

The DD is my favorite ship in Star Fleet Battles... which, by the way, extrapolates every bit of available pre-movie Star Trek minutia to create entire fleets of ship for dozens of "races". The armed shuttle/fighter craft in Nemesis may have been borrowed from traditional SFB designs... maybe....

Star Fleet Battles is something of a monster game... but if you want to actually play a *simulation* of Star Trek space combat, it's awesome... with all the trimmings, too: campaigns, Federation & Empire strategic games, balanced tournament scenarios, "tunable" scenarios, and reams of historical information. (Federation Commander is, of course, an attempt at de-lifestylizing the system.)

Last edited by Jeffr0; 06-11-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Jeffr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #32
Rowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
according to canon, Vulcans are really strong. The average Vulcan is three times as strong as a human.. according to canon. I'm not carrying it that far. Take a BL score. An average human has a 20. I would need to give Vulcan's an average score of 17-18. That's 70-80 pts right off the bat. I don't think that's playable at all. I'm very willing to break from canon there.

but yeah, humans are weaker than Vulcans. there's no way around it. There's that scene where Nero's first officer tells Kirk that he was suprised at how weak humans were. In TOS, kirk is often on the losing end of a strength contest. Picard was also routinely overpowered. That's kind of the way it goes in star trek. most of the alien races out there are kind of supermanish. It's just kind of part of the setting.
Yeah. If we listened to cannon, they're be super strong, fast, highly telepathic, able to make telepathic suggestions at range, able to hibernate to cure wounds, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and on occasion, when needed, super powerful monkeys would fly out of their butts to save the day. And that's just the physical aspects. XD

Serious question, though. Are you going to be using GURPS: Spaceships to build/stat out the ships? =)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #33
Koley Porter

Thanks for the links, advice, and observations about starships. I totally failed to notice that the Kelvin had only a single warp nacelle in the new movie. Here are some fan made images of the Technical Manual style ships done in the Abrams style:

http://www.madshipyard.com/
Koley Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #34
NineDaysDead
Banned

I suggest dropping Longevity [2 pts] from the Vulcan and Romulan templates and replacing it with Extended Lifespan 1 [2] and early maturation 1 [0], to better match their lifespans.

EDIT: Actually, I think Extended Lifespan 2 (only 1/2 as slow, on the 2nd level -50%)[3], so they age 3 times as slowly might be most accurate.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 06-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #35
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
I have the Franz Joseph book-- there is also a tug, a three warp engined Dreadnought ship... and single warp engined Scout... in addition to the single engine Destroyer that you mention.

The DD is my favorite ship in Star Fleet Battles...
Mine was the Dreadnaught. I love those 3 nacelle ships.
And these babies are sweet!!!
http://www.icgmagazine.com/wordpress...ages/trek1.jpg
Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #36
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
you could cover that under unusual training if you wanted. the bottom line is that vulcans in canon have outrageous strength. whether they control it or not, wouldn't erase the actual score. I simply choose to ignore that because it makes Vulcans unplayable. Another 50 points (at least) tacked on to that template means I would have to change the game too much.
You could give them some sort of super St adrenalin bonus... you know, super strong, but only when they freak out. And since they rarely ever freak out, the point cost could get ratcheted down... and based on some sort of control number... yadayada...
Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #37
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Arm strength, maybe?
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #38
Koley Porter

BaronVonStevie,

I am totally ripping off your racial and training packages. I am paring them down a bit since I am using Wildcard skills in my game. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. :)

(I agree that to make Vulcans canonically strong would be broken. I think the package you presented is good, though the hysterical strength idea is neat, and would explain Nero's flipped out attack strength.)
Koley Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Mine was the Dreadnaught. I love those 3 nacelle ships.
And these babies are sweet!!!
http://www.icgmagazine.com/wordpress...ages/trek1.jpg
I wonder... did SFB have the two-nacelle "New Light Cruisers" before the Star Trek II Reliant was on the screen...?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #40
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
I wonder... did SFB have the two-nacelle "New Light Cruisers" before the Star Trek II Reliant was on the screen...?
No, I think the Reliant came first. Dang, that was a long time ago.
And of course, there's also the Star Fleet Spaceflight Chronology... that had some interesting early Fed ships too.

Tags
star trek