Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #311
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
IIRC from the Making of Star Trek and other books of The Original Series so too did the saucer in the original ship.

Roddenberry thought that the shape was "cool" and wanted to justify what would in reality be an engineering nightmare. One way was to contend that the "saucer section" could detach from the rest of the ship as a very large lifeboat.
It would almost make "jettison the warp core" make sense as it would entail dumping the entire back end of the ship in dire straights.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #312
jason taylor

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
I do know what you mean, but it might be because the original cast had nothing else to go on besides something like "we're supposed to be a military. you know? like a navy in space" which was a brand new concept. They had no choice but to act like military men. War movies were big. WW2 was fresh in people's minds. It looked much more natural for actors who either served or knew what it was to play a military role in a show where the best guess was "this is a supposed to be a military".

With most of my builds I use the astronaut build from the space book with the appropriate add on and then the military lens from Gurps: Heroes. Kirk, for example, combines astronaut with starship captain and the military lens. Spock and Sulu also have the military lens.
I got the impression that they were just acting like a navy in peacetime by doing that other stuff. Navies always act like Coast Guards with a lot of firepower in peacetime. The difference was not that DS9 was more militaristic it was that there was a war on.

Also it is kind of ridiculous to have a ship with the power to depopulate a planet and a crew of several hundreds not be navalistic. If they wanted a purely constabulary service it should have been given less ponderous of organization in the first place.

Tags
star trek