Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Fwibos

Default Wave of Force

I am perhaps over thinking this, but I was doodling around with Mr. Bresin's Innate Attack Calculator and it occurs to me that I can't find a way to create a "wave" attack that affects everyone in a row of hexes between the user and his target area.

Obviously Area Effect allows you to attack an area within your range, which isn't quite what I am looking for. Also Cone starts out as a smaller than one hex attack. Jet lets you create the column but doesn't allow you to widen the area, and frankly the fact that it remains in effect each turn instead acting as a single attack disqualifies it. The wave ought to be able to have modifiers like Rapid Fire added to it.

Mobile and Persistent don't quite work, even with Wall, and they make it h

horrifically expensive.

I am eyeballing it, but could we suggest the enhancement: Wave. Say, +100% , +20% per hex? It seems reasonable, at first glance, that a doubling of the area would mean a doubling of the enhancement cost.

What say ye?
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
transmetahuman

Default Re: Wave of Force

Cone starts at 1 hex wide, IIRC, and you can define it as ending one hex wide as well. Is this what you're talking about? Or do you want something more like a (frex) 5-yard wide line that traverses 12 yards in front of you to cover a square of 5 x 12 yards total area over a second?

Last edited by transmetahuman; 09-16-2008 at 03:43 AM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
Cone starts at 1 hex wide, IIRC, and you can define it as ending one hex wide as well. Is this what you're talking about?

Ah, yes, that is a way to make a one hex wide wave. What I am asking is: How do you make a 2 hex wide wave (not cone, wave - it starts as two hexes, ends as two hexes) , or even a 3, 4, or 10 hex wave?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Mehmet
MIB

To illustrate, you are playing a Galactus-like character with a single eyeball diameter of 1200 hexes. You have a special attack that shoots a single beam of starfire as wide as your eye and it does not change shape or form for 2 million light years.

What? I'm curious :)

Cheerio!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Enoch

I'd go for twice the enhancement for Cone. Two triangles make a rectangle (which is what your wave would be).

So, a wave of fire (2d) 5 yards wide would cost 30 pts.

-Joshua

Last edited by Enoch; 09-16-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Didn't read all of the OP.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
To illustrate, you are playing a Galactus-like character with a single eyeball diameter of 1200 hexes. You have a special attack that shoots a single beam of starfire as wide as your eye and it does not change shape or form for 2 million light years.

What? I'm curious :)

Cheerio!

Heh, well, not quite 1200 hexes or 2 million lightyears. Nor Starfire, exactly (I must have missed those comics). I am thinking thusly:

Scattershot: 1D-1 cr (No Knock Back -10%, Blockable: Block Only -5%, Ricochet +10%, Wave +100%, 4 hex +80%, Accessibility (Situational): Must have a suitible amount of detrius in area (pebbles, pens, computer parts, tools, etc) I would give this as common -20%, Rapid Fire: Rof: 9 x 9 +250%, Reduced Range: Range Divisor 5 -20%, Increased Range: 1/2 only 2x +10%, Reduced Time 1 -20%) [20]

Basically he just tosses whatever junk is around with telekinettic force.
A note on choices:
I chose crushing because, though he might be tossing knives and screw drivers, the instantaneous nature of the attack means it lacks the precision and control to keep objects facing forward. The damage is objects hurled with force.
I felt that detrius is common, though a case could be made for more or less. As I look around the office hear, I see keyboards, pens, a small office fan, headsets, even a moniter ot two perhaps. However, I am not sure if it is enough to be considered very common. That said, a person using this could easily just carry a bag of ball bearings, bolts, or BBs.

And yes, wave affects every one in an area.

Perhaps I should increase damage and reduce ROF. I wanted armor to be effective against it, seeing as how it's basically just a bunch of junk being slung.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #7
Tsuru-Sennin

Just use Cone enhancement, but each hex of starting width also costs +10%. So a 5-hex wide Wave would be a +140% enhancement. Add Increased/Reduced range to make it longer/shorter.

Edit: Cone and Rapid Fire enhancements are not compatible, as under Cone enhancement, p. 103.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.

Last edited by Tsuru-Sennin; 09-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru-Sennin
Just use Cone enhancement, but each hex of starting width also costs +10%. So a 5-hex wide Wave would be a +140% enhancement. Add Increased/Reduced range to make it longer/shorter.

Edit: Cone and Rapid Fire enhancements are not compatible, as under Cone enhancement, p. 103.

Not a bad Idea, and yeah, I realized half-way home from work I erred. If it is based on cone, then like cone it cannot benefit from Rapid Fire. How Terrified I became at the thought of a dozen posts saying so!

Which begs the question, how would one create multiple waves hitting in rapid succession, or represent the flying particles/debris acting like tiny "bullets" within the area. In theory, the simplest way is to just have a high damage, and maybe half damage vs. armor and declare by fiat that each point or two that hits equals a few objects. Somewhat incompatible with the spirit of the attack, but easy on book keeping.

I guess I can, to keep the thread going ask. How would one create an attack that attacks enemies several times in very rapid succession in an area. I may be drawing a blank. Would a small explosive attack with a high rate of fire be the best way to represent this?

A friend at work suggested buying the innate attack, withor without cone thrice and linking them, and saying each originates in a different front hex and moves forward relative to your front. This seems needlessly expensive.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
talonthehand

Well, you could always just get a few levels of extra attack (Wave Attack only), though that'd get pricey. You could also forsake the cone enhancement for the area effect enhancement, which does (I believe) allow for rapid fire.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Gef

I suspect that a short, wide Cone with Dissipation would better simulate a real wave. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cone, rapid fire