Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Terminators are probably a good example of that. Aren't there terminator clones in Reign of Steel? Does Will to Live do anything with this?
Those are the Redjack and Lilith robot types, Will to Live, p31-32. The descriptions don't address that point directly, and don't have modified signatures on their DR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will to Live p31
The Redjack can be distinguished from a human by punc-
turing its skin, and requiring strangers to draw blood has as a
result become common among better-informed communities.
There are more advanced versions that can get through that test.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Would making the upper layer Ablative reduce the munckin-y feeling of allowing the lower layer to lack No Signature?
I can't hear logic over the sounds of my inner strict GM and Munchkin fighting.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Phantasm

Unless you're doing the individual layers with Gadget modifiers or slapping Force Field on the outer layer, I'm not sure how giving multiple layers of innate DR on a character would work, conceptually.

Ablative on any layer acts kinda like "Hit Points but not really". On an outer layer... not sure how munchkiny that'd be. The main issue would be "is it more or less DR than the inner layer?"

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's that he has an upper layer of biomimetic flesh-like material with No Signature, so it looks like normal naked human tissue. But under that he has a flexible "leathery" armor protecting his actual internals.
Any damage penetrating the "flesh" will reveal his obviously armor.

If both sets have No Signature, then damage would have to penetrate both layers to reveal his nature.

If only the top layer needs it, then it would be easy to munchkin by taking a single point of DR that way. Creating a costume looking unarmored when normally one would have to spend loads of points to make all of one's armor have No Signature.

Does that make my point any clearer?

I just felt that Ablative may make the idea less Munchkin friendly as it create an extra "hassle". I'm probably over-thinking that part, so if it helps, you can just ignore it as extraneous to my main idea.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Would making the upper layer Ablative reduce the munckin-y feeling of allowing the lower layer to lack No Signature?
I can't hear logic over the sounds of my inner strict GM and Munchkin fighting.
If you have an outer layer of DR that has No Signature, then there are two cases:

It prevents people from seeing through the outer layer to the lower layers. In that case the lower layers have No Signature, too, and not taking that is a munchkin stunt that should be crushed.

The lower layers can still be perceived as armor, despite the overlayer. In that case there's no point in buying No Signature for the top layer, as it accomplishes nothing.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

I think in this case Flynn you buy Dr (No Signature) for the under layers and DR (Tough Skin, No Signature) for the outer layers and slap a 0 point Feature that if the Tough Skin is breached there is a chance to determine that it's not human.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Bruno

Third option: use Limiting Enhancements: No Signature (Accessibility: Only when ablative DR isn't breached).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Okay, cool. Thanks all.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Third option: use Limiting Enhancements: No Signature (Accessibility: Only when ablative DR isn't breached).
What number for that limitation seems reasonable, in a ballpark sense?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
What number for that limitation seems reasonable, in a ballpark sense?
I'd start thinking about the numbers we sort of converged on for Only While Injured and Only While Uninjured (same post).

For Only while Uninjured, I use -60%. That would mean any DR lost would make you lose the enhancement, which seems legit to me.

As an aside: for only while Injured, I use -5%/level, with the following levels:
1/3 HP lost
1/2 HP lost
2/3 HP lost
@ 0 HP
@ -1 * HP
@ -2 * HP
@ -3 * HP
@ -4 * HP

Only the first four levels really apply for DR, but seem OK otherwise. IF you're using Ablative DR as "faux HP", then this would be handy for "Super sayan" or "limit break" type powerups that only activate when you get hurt for real.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]