Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
GodlessRose

Default Critical on a 4?

Just a curiosity question: why is a four always a critical success, regardless of how low the effective skill is? It's asymmetrical with the rule for critical failure.
GodlessRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Critical on a 4?

I'm almost certain that 4 isn't a critical success if it's a failure (i.e. effective skill 3). At any rate, make 4 a critical success only on skill 5+ and you've got symmetry with no significant game effect.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Anaraxes

The symmetrical rule would call for 4 not to be a crit when your effective skill was 5 or less. It wouldn't come up a lot. Much lower than that, and you're not allowed to roll at all. On the other end of the scale, skill above 15 is not uncommon, and the crit range reduction allows the extremely skilled characters to actually be seen as better than those with lower skill on the same task.

Getting lucky and succeeding is appropriately heroic for most genres. Getting unlucky and seeming to be randomly and disastrously incompetent in your areas of purported expertise is not.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Just a curiosity question: why is a four always a critical success, regardless of how low the effective skill is? It's asymmetrical with the rule for critical failure.
Perhaps succeeding with low skill is more fun than failing with high skill is.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The symmetrical rule would call for 4 not to be a crit when your effective skill was 5 or less. It wouldn't come up a lot. Much lower than that, and you're not allowed to roll at all.
Yeah, I thought it might have been left out simply because it wouldn't come up enough to be worth mentioning. (Defense rolls can be attempted with an effective skill below 3, though.) But then I started wondering if handling crits symmetrically would cause problems somewhere. Again, I'm just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Getting lucky and succeeding is appropriately heroic for most genres. Getting unlucky and seeming to be randomly and disastrously incompetent in your areas of purported expertise is not.
True, but if it were handled symmetrically we would only be looking at about a 1.4% drop in the odds of a critical success when it came up, and we wouldn't have the odd situations where you can't succeed without critically succeeding.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
I started wondering if handling crits symmetrically would cause problems somewhere.
I don't think anything will break, no. And it's easy enough to make the rule symmetrical.

Though I expect most players, when faced with enough modifiers to turn their skill into an effective 4 or 5, will find another approach to solving their problem. It's not like the extra 1.4 points will make them decide to chance the roll, or losing those make them decide it's not worth it.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
thulben

Quote:
True, but if it were handled symmetrically we would only be looking at about a 1.4% drop in the odds of a critical success when it came up, and we wouldn't have the odd situations where you can't succeed without critically succeeding.
Sometimes that's exactly what you want. Just think of the story the player will tell: "remember that one time when there was no way I could do that thing and then *bam!* I rolled a crit success!" If you're not actively aiming for memorable moments like those, you're just not living (tongue removed from cheek).
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
GodlessRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Sometimes that's exactly what you want. Just think of the story the player will tell: "remember that one time when there was no way I could do that thing and then *bam!* I rolled a crit success!"
Makes sense. Maybe that was part of the thought process behind the rule. A symmetrical handling of critical successes with low skill would rarely matter, it would add a little more text to the Basic Set, and it might be less fun in the rare cases where it did matter.

Tags
critical success