Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Praxian

Default Crit Success chart

From the looks of it, by the RAW you can't ever have a Crit Success roll above a 6. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I have a player who brought it up and basically has the mentality of if he has a 20 skill, rolling a 10 which is 10 below skill level would be a crit success because of how crit failures are done.

The house rule in place is:

5 crit on 15, 6 crit on 16, 7 crit on 20, 8 crit on 25, 9 crit on 30, and 10 is a crit on 35. You can never have higher than a 10 for a crit, so having a 40 skill does not increase it to 11.

Anyways, some definition on the RAW would be appreciated. Like I said, it's in Campaign's book page 347 and to me sounds like a crit success line ends at 6, but was wondering if anyone had a different reference point or knew something in a diff book that I didn't.

Thanks all,
Prax
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Crit Success chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
From the looks of it, by the RAW you can't ever have a Crit Success roll above a 6. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
You're right.
Quote:
5 crit on 15, 6 crit on 16, 7 crit on 20, 8 crit on 25, 9 crit on 30, and 10 is a crit on 35. You can never have higher than a 10 for a crit, so having a 40 skill does not increase it to 11.
That's a fairly plausible house rule; I've seen several rather like it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
PK

Critical successes are capped at 6 or less, yes. Nowhere do the rules allow for this to be raised, regardless of skill.

I'll just note that, even with a skill of 40+, rolling a critical success 50% of the time is rather implausible, which is why they're capped canonically. Third edition allowed them to go further, using a rule similar to yours, and this was deemed unbalanced and removed from the new edition.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Critical successes are capped at 6 or less, yes. Nowhere do the rules allow for this to be raised, regardless of skill.

I'll just note that, even with a skill of 40+, rolling a critical success 50% of the time is rather implausible, which is why they're capped canonically. Third edition allowed them to go further, using a rule similar to yours, and this was deemed unbalanced and removed from the new edition.
I've occasionally suggested that some characters should have the ability to crit on a 7 or less for some skills, but yes, critting on 10-or-less even with absurdly high effective skill, doesn't sound good to me.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Blood Legend

Holy Robin expletive Batman! What sort of threats are your players dealing with that they'd ever need 35 levels in a skill?!

At 19 you've got a coin flip to stab every man you meet in the eye socket, breaching most of their DR and stabbing their brain.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
Not

Over the lengths of most campaigns, it would be cheaper simply to allow players to buy critical successes from successes at 1 point a pop, no?
Old 05-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Holy Robin expletive Batman! What sort of threats are your players dealing with that they'd ever need 35 levels in a skill?!

At 19 you've got a coin flip to stab every man you meet in the eye socket, breaching most of their DR and stabbing their brain.
If he's a worthy enemy he'll almost certainly parry that. I would rather do the same with about five levels of Deceptive Attack.
I have no trouble seeing the use of skill 35. In fact my current GM has imposed skill cap at 40 CP per skill; without it we would surely have skill levels in the 30s in our party.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post

Some Imbuements can take a penalty of -20 or higher, so, 35 skill isn't unreasonable at all. Also, 35 skill in a weapon makes for some serious Deceptive Attacks!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Rigil_Kent

Perhaps a new Perk? Enhanced Critical Range to bump it to 7? Though I wouldn't go further than that, personally, not even with skills as high as these...

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Perhaps a new Perk? Enhanced Critical Range to bump it to 7? Though I wouldn't go further than that, personally, not even with skills as high as these...
Critical on 7 for a perk, with skill 20, is an amazingly good deal, raising odds from 9.3% to 16.2%. It comes under "You'd be crazy not to buy it", even if you had to buy it separately for each skill, so it makes more sense as a campaign feature.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
critical success, criticals