Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Ezra

Default [Skill] Freight Handling/TL IQ-A, B197

The Basic Set (p. B197) says that Freight Handling reduces the time it takes to load or unload freight by 20%. GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars (p. 175) says that a single crewman can load or unload 250 dtons of freight.

How long does it take that single crewman to unload 250 dtons of freight though?

Last edited by Ezra; 05-16-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [Skill] Freight Handling/TL IQ-A, B197

Not Traveller, but GURPS Spaceships gives 1 man-hour per 100 tons with access to port machinery, 1 man-hour per 10 tons otherwise. It appears to change the function of Freight Handling, making it be about stowing things properly - a failed Freight Handling roll when initially loading up cargo doubles the time to unload later (in SS2, it's also used to see if fragile cargo was loaded well enough to avoid damage in the case of a collision or sudden acceleration).

Given those numbers, I can't see the 2500 tons taking less than a full work day (8 hours). Indeed, the numbers are about right for a full day, not just a work day (SS would give 2400 tons for 24 man-hours of work), but Traveller may be working under different assumptions (of note, SS rates don't appear to change regardless of if you're at TL7 or TL12). Note I'm assuming the nomenclature "dtons" is "decatons," not "decitons;" if it's meant to be the latter (which seems rather unlikely), under SS rules 25 tons would take 15 man-minutes with machinery, 2.5 man-hours otherwise.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It appears to change the function of Freight Handling, making it be about stowing things properly - a failed Freight Handling roll when initially loading up cargo doubles the time to unload later (in SS2, it's also used to see if fragile cargo was loaded well enough to avoid damage in the case of a collision or sudden acceleration).
This isn't a changed function of the skill: "Also roll against Freight Handling skill any time there is doubt as to whether an item of cargo was lost or damaged; on a success, it made the journey intact." It just adds some detail about how long loading and unloading take.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Ezra

Quote:
... GURPS Spaceships gives 1 man-hour per 100 tons with access to port machinery, 1 man-hour per 10 tons otherwise. It appears to change the function of Freight Handling, making it be about stowing things properly - a failed Freight Handling roll when initially loading up cargo doubles the time to unload later (in SS2, it's also used to see if fragile cargo was loaded well enough to avoid damage in the case of a collision or sudden acceleration).
Perfect. Thank you!

I checked GURPS Spaceships 2, but not GURPS Spaceships.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
This isn't a changed function of the skill: "Also roll against Freight Handling skill any time there is doubt as to whether an item of cargo was lost or damaged; on a success, it made the journey intact." It just adds some detail about how long loading and unloading take.
I was referring more to the bit about a failed roll when initially loading causing it to take twice as long to unload, with nary a mention of the 20% reduction. I suppose you could do it as two separate rolls - one for speed (success gives the 20% reduction, failure gives normal rate) and once for proper loading (success means no change, failure means the next time you need to transfer that cargo, it takes twice as long; this can be reduced to 1.6x - might just round that down to 1.5x - with a successful Freight Handling roll when you do the transfer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Perfect. Thank you!

I checked GURPS Spaceships 2, but not GURPS Spaceships.
No problem. I actually checked SS2 first, and one line (SS2:38) at the end of the section on buying speculative cargo referenced where in SS1 the rules would be found. Certainly easy to miss.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Ezra

Quote:
... Note I'm assuming the nomenclature "dtons" is "decatons," not "decitons;" if it's meant to be the latter (which seems rather unlikely), under SS rules 25 tons would take 15 man-minutes with machinery, 2.5 man-hours otherwise.
From the "Units and Abbreviations" sidebar on p. 188 of GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars:

"dton: A 'displacement ton,' a measure of hull volume. One dton is
equal to 500 cubic feet."
Old 05-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
thrash

Quote:
Note I'm assuming the nomenclature "dtons" is "decatons," not "decitons;"...
Traveller "dtons" are displacement tons, a measure of volume. They are based on the density of liquid hydrogen (0.070 metric ton per m3), theoretically because so much of a ship's volume is consumed with liquid hydrogen tankage. Most versions round this to 1 dton = 14 m3; GURPS Traveller uses 500 cf instead.

This usage hadn't stabilized when classic Traveller was written, however, and so one can find places where "tons" clearly means "metric tons" rather than "displacement tons."
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Quote:
Note I'm assuming the nomenclature "dtons" is "decatons," not "decitons;" if it's meant to be the latter (which seems rather unlikely), under SS rules 25 tons would take 15 man-minutes with machinery, 2.5 man-hours otherwise.
I believe that dTon is tons displacement.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
From the "Units and Abbreviations" sidebar on p. 188 of GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars:

"dton: A 'displacement ton,' a measure of hull volume. One dton is
equal to 500 cubic feet."
That's problematic for making the comparison, as it makes it difficult to compare the two systems. In Spaceships, 250 tons would take 2.5 man-hours with machinery (25 man-hours without), regardless of if it's a tank of liquid hydrogen or a pile of lead ingots. From the sound of it, in Traveller, 250 tons of liquid hydrogen and around 1220 tons of lead ingots would take the same amount of (undefined) time. If you have to pick one, I'd go with Spaceships - while volume does matter, I think weight is more of a rate limiter, and Spaceships has the advantage of actually giving you a time frame.

Tags
science fiction, spaceships, traveller, vehicle