Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
CarrionPeacock

Default Innate Attack, Striker and Natural Weapon, balance?

From what I gathered, there's three damaging advantages: Innate Attack. Striker and Natural Weapon, which one is the most balanced or most used?
From what I digged up, Innate Attacks are very powerful at low TL games but becomes quickly obsolete due to firearms and by TL8 making any IA with equivalent potential of a firearm wil require large point investment. Natural Weapons replaces Strikers and while it also suffers at high TL but provides better pricing than IA at low TL. Is this correct?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Innate Attack, Striker and Natural Weapon, balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
Natural Weapons replaces Strikers and while it also suffers at high TL but provides better pricing than IA at low TL. Is this correct?
no that last part is not correct, Natural weapons charge you armed attack from crushing to thing link cut or imp, but still count as unarmed account

Striker given you a weapon and unless Striker (limb) is used also give you an addiction limb as such it's Striker (limb) that replaces Natural weapons as the upgrade no the other way around.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I often add on to this list: accessory.

Yes, I know that's explicitly not supposed to be used for weapons, but I do it anyways, because in high tech settings that's about all the advantage is worth.

I usually use innate attack over striker. Its more flexible, except for that pesky strength thing.

I find natural weapons to be such a bad deal that I only ever charge 1 point for them.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I find natural weapons to be such a bad deal that I only ever charge 1 point for them.
Are you talking about the Natural Weapon advantage from Pyramid 3/65?
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Are you talking about the Natural Weapon advantage from Pyramid 3/65?

No, I'm talking about teeth and claws from basic, where they are referred to multiple times as "Natural Weapons".

I like the natural weapons advantage in 3/65, but I don't use it often, if only because I often forget it exists or which pyramid its in.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:

Yes, I know that's explicitly not supposed to be used for weapons, but I do it anyways, because in high tech settings that's about all the advantage is worth.
which i would counter is the Role of Signature Gear.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:

Same feelings here. I might also use Payload with External for bigger weapons that are less encumbering. I dont really feel the need to require Signature Gear unless its really special in some way.

Quote:
I like the natural weapons advantage in 3/65, but I don't use it often, if only because I often forget it exists or which pyramid its in.
Also same here. Related to another thread I would love it as part of a Pyramid Collection or Power-Ups Morphology supplement.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
Yako

Actually, Natural Weapons from Pyramid are a very good deal just for the fact that they break with the previous rule about enhancing strength based damage.

Like many other advantages (though maybe especially so), all forms of damage you pay points for get more and more competition from weapons you can just pick up, true, but they have the big advantage of by default being a lot less limited.
If you are in a high TL setting, better armor tends to also become available.
Innate attacks can acquire armor divisors you could not get from weaponry, get area attack instead of just explosion,etc.

... it can also really help to use rules like multiplicative modifiers from Gurps Powers to make Innate attacks more affordable, so that it does not cost quite as much to be on par with the people with the guns.

And/or give the characters who refuse to use any / most technology more points, by the same logic that a very unusual ability may cost you an unusual background.
Honestly, Mundane Background should actually be a useful advantage by including rules for something like that, because characters like that are a much bigger issue in games than the alternatives usually.

Custom Cardboard Miniatures
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

If a character in one of my games takes a weapon as an accessory, they are going to suffer surgery when they are caught by the authorities. Conversely, an Innate Attack is invisible to the majority of people, and surgery will not remove it anyway. The reason why equipment does not cost points is because it is removable (Signature Gear does not prevent the GM from removing an item, it just prevents the GM from destroying it permanently).

For example, I might have a TL8 character with Signature Gear (Barrett M82A1 with 10 clips of ammunition [the value of the ammunition is multiple by 5 according to the rules from Supers, p. 81, but are replaced every session]), but I will have the authorities take it from her when she is arrested. If she had it as an Accessory though, the authorities would shoot her dead if she did not agree to surgical removal, regardless of whether she bought it as Signature Gear. If she had an innate attack that was the equivalent of a Barrett M82A1 though, she could take it everywhere without anyone suspecting her offensive capabilities until it was too late.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innate attack, natural weapon, striker