Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Alternate XP progression schedule

So like several others on this forum, I've been thinking a lot about XP progression. And like a few of you, I also feel that the revised schedule in the new ITL is off-balance somehow.

First, though, a few of my biases (which I'm happy to discuss as well, but I'd like to focus on the proposed XP schedule initially)...
1) The 40-point effective limit on character stats is too restrictive
2) Stat increases should remain the primary use for XP
3) Stat increases should get exponentially harder as the character advances
4) PC races that begin play w/ higher stat point totals should not increase as quickly as those at the 32-point baseline
5) Stat increases can be earned at least every 2-3 game sessions initially and every 5-6 sessions (or more, but not much) after they cross the 40-point threshold

32 or less total points = 75 XP per point*
33 to 36 points = 150 XP per point
37 to 40 points = 300 XP per point
41 to 44 points = 900 XP per point**
45 to 48 points = 2700 XP per point
49 to 52 points = 8100 XP per point
53 to 56 points = 24300 XP per point
57 to 60 points = 72900 XP per point***

*I lowered the required XP for the initial tier mainly to make it easier on characters who die during their early adventuring career.

**Once you cross the 40-point threshold, XP costs go up by a factor of 3 instead of doubling. This is similar, though not as severe, to the premise established in the original ITL rules.

***I honestly don't expect characters to get into this range (or really any higher than the low 50s), but I included the math just in case.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

What rules for learning talents are intended for use with this?

Seems to me like a pretty fast cruise through the 33-40 point terrain where I most like to play.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
What rules for learning talents are intended for use with this?

Seems to me like a pretty fast cruise through the 33-40 point terrain where I most like to play.
Rules for learning/training/study would be similar to what was presented in the original ITL and Advanced books. I haven't started working on the specifics yet, but suffice to say that some amount of time and effort will be required before new talents or spells can be added.

And yes, compared to the new rules, absolutely. The progression is not quite as fast as what was presented in the old ITL, especially when you factor in the different approaches to how much XP should be doled out by the GM. I believe, however, that it is more true to the 'live fast, die hard' (or is it 'die fast, live hard') philosophy inherent in Steve's original design for TFT.

Obviously, this solution will be more attractive to stubborn grognards like myself who prefer the previous style of play. ;)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
So like several others on this forum, I've been thinking a lot about XP progression. And like a few of you, I also feel that the revised schedule in the new ITL is off-balance somehow.

First, though, a few of my biases (which I'm happy to discuss as well, but I'd like to focus on the proposed XP schedule initially)...
1) The 40-point effective limit on character stats is too restrictive
2) Stat increases should remain the primary use for XP
3) Stat increases should get exponentially harder as the character advances
4) PC races that begin play w/ higher stat point totals should not increase as quickly as those at the 32-point baseline
5) Stat increases can be earned at least every 2-3 game sessions initially and every 5-6 sessions (or more, but not much) after they cross the 40-point threshold

33 to 36 points = 150 XP per point
37 to 40 points = 300 XP per point
I mostly like that progression schedule even for NuITL where you HAVE to buy talents/spells with XP (no entitlements for IQ increases). I would make a slight adjustment based on Skarg's preference of the 33-40 range - which is also my preference range for most of play.

33 to 34 points = 200 XP per point
35 to 36 points = 400 XP per point
37 to 40 points = 600 XP per point

platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I mostly like that progression schedule even for NuITL where you HAVE to buy talents/spells with XP (no entitlements for IQ increases).
That was my thought as well... I wanted a progression model that would work for my preferred 'IQ dependency for talent or spell acquisition' as well as the option to 'buy' them directly using XP.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
That was my thought as well... I wanted a progression model that would work for my preferred 'IQ dependency for talent or spell acquisition' as well as the option to 'buy' them directly using XP.
Give one bonus skill slot with each IQ point at creation or purchased later then.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Give one bonus skill slot with each IQ point at creation or purchased later then.
For my games, I will keep the connection between IQ and the acquisition of talents/spells post character creation.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Another adjustment that I will probably make in conjuction w/ my revised XP schedule would be to raise the XP cost required to purchase talents or spells directly. I would increase the baseline cost from 500 to 1000 XP for a 1-point talent.

I know that I have been critical of this new option, but I think I could be OK w/ it if didn't become viable until the character hits the mid-40s. Until then, each point of IQ purchased using XP can be used to aquire new talents or spells.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
platimus

What about only using XP to increase attributes but each time you increase ST or DX, you get 1 Skill/Spell Point (SP). Increase IQ and get 2 SP. At character creation, SP = IQ.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
What about only using XP to increase attributes but each time you increase ST or DX, you get 1 Skill/Spell Point (SP). Increase IQ and get 2 SP. At character creation, SP = IQ.
Talents from ST and DX increases? No, I don't like that. Those stats already have plenty of inherent 'value' w/o adding another benefit. Plus I can't really see the logic in connecting those physical attributes to skill acquisition (beyond their current role as prerequisites).