Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Feeling Being Leeched

Can you feel being Leeched? I assume if someone uses Leech on you, and they're Leeching HP, you feel it because HP loss hurts, right?

But what if the Leech has Steal (Other Score)? If any one of his attributes is stolen, would a character notice, and if so, how? The same applies to Steal Youth (which steals months of lifespan), do they feel it?

I'm asking because of this bit of the description on p. P96:
"Out of combat, options include a long handshake, hug, or more intimate embrace"
This would seem to indicate that the victim doesn't notice. In fact, I'm just assuming the HP loss would cause pain and be felt, but there's nothing in there that says that has to be true.

So if a Leech drains you, but only for the timespan of a long hug (5 seconds, maybe 10 for a ridiculously long hug unless it was "intimate"), other than maybe feeling a little foggy or tired afterwards, would you even notice? And if so, how? And I sincerely doubt, unless there was pain involved, that most people would feel 5-10 months being drained off of them.

Or is the point of Leech that it's a dangerous attack that only requires touch and provides no resistance and might not even be noticed? When should a GM consider a secret Perception roll to notice (which would be penalized if the score stolen was IQ)?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Feeling Being Leeched

I'd say you'd definitely feel it. Though it might not be obvious what was happening to you, you'd be aware of it happening, and might be aware of who was doing it too. With Low Signature, the target would feel something, but couldn't readily determine what was going on or who was doing it. With No Signature they might feel little or nothing, until the effects become apparent after the fact (unexpected fatigue, slowed down by loss of HP, clumsiness from drained DX etc).

For instance, if someone loses 5 months of their life in 5 seconds, they'd feel intense pain throughout their body as cells divide and die at an accelerated rate, with the sensation strongest where they're being touched. If the attacker has Low Signature they'd feel maybe an ache or weariness, but not centered on any one place. With No Signature... they'd notice nothing until they see their extra wrinkles or gray hairs in a mirror!

At least, that's my take on it.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 04-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd say you'd definitely feel it. Though it might not be obvious what was happening to you, you'd be aware of it happening, and might be aware of who was doing it too. With Low Signature, the target would feel something, but couldn't readily determine what was going on or who was doing it. With No Signature they might feel little or nothing, until the effects become apparent after the fact (unexpected fatigue, slowed down by loss of HP, clumsiness from drained DX etc).

For instance, if someone loses 5 months of their life in 5 seconds, they'd feel intense pain throughout their body as cells divide and die at an accelerated rate, with the sensation strongest where they're being touched. If the attacker has Low Signature they'd feel maybe an ache or weariness, but not centered on any one place. With No Signature... they'd notice nothing until they see their extra wrinkles or gray hairs in a mirror!

At least, that's my take on it.
All that seems sensible. The thing that threw me and confused me was the text I quoted, wherein it seemed to be possible to have a long intimate hug with someone, because obviously if you felt it in that first second you'd terminate contact.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
All that seems sensible. The thing that threw me and confused me was the text I quoted, wherein it seemed to be possible to have a long intimate hug with someone, because obviously if you felt it in that first second you'd terminate contact.
I think that is in there more for high levels of leech, where once activated the damage would be done (continuing it would either be trivial at that point, or the target is already dead).

So Mr leach 20 (FP) can't activate it with a quick slap on the back, or a short handshake, but if he can get to 'long handshake' he can suck 20 FP from the target, likely instantly incapacitating them- the fact that they may notice that they just lost 20 FP will likely be moot since they will no longer be awake.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Refplace

I think that sentence is in there not to indicate you dont feel it but to give other examples then a strike in combat.
For example the classic Succubus or Vampiric Embrace would be Leech with an Affliction Ecstasy.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

By default, attacks are always noticeable by the victim. Note that that does not mean always noticed. For my own games, I always allow a roll, even for attacks bought with No Signature.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leech, notice, perception, steal