Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Phil Masters

Default Discworld Data File - Thrown Weapons

Could someone who understands the details of the software better than me help determine why thrown weapons from the Discworld RPG data file come out with 1/2D and Max ranges of 0/0 on characters? They came over more or less directly from the Basic Set file.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Discworld Data File - Thrown Weapons

I can confirm that it's happening, but I don't actually know why yet. Things look fine at a first glance. I'll dig into it.

ETA: And now I can see that chareffectivest() is being calced as 0, which will do it, but I don't know yet why that is.

ETA2: Gonna guess it's because Striking ST is missing from attributes. I'll go looking for it.

Last edited by Armin; 04-29-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

[Deleted my thoughts-in-process messages in favor of this consolidated one.]

There is no Striking ST in the Discworld file. There are One Arm and Two Arm versions, but no default plain version. There is one in the Basic Set file, so I'm guessing I thought there was one everywhere.

Striking ST is what GCA uses for the default ST score in calculating a character's effective ST for use with the weapon. It's also used in range calcs and a couple other places.

Anyway, this is clearly my fault, as I didn't code a fall-back if Striking ST was missing. Clearly, GCA should fall back to plain ST eventually when Striking ST isn't there.

The next version of GCA will fix this issue. It will check for Striking ST, and if not there it will try One Arm Striking ST, and if that's not there, it will just use ST. That's all if damagebasedon() is *not* set, just if it's using the default. If you set the damagebasedon() to Striking ST and you don't have that attribute, you'll still get the stuff calculated based on 0.

You can work around this issue for now by going into Simple Edit for the weapon, and changing Damage Based On for the weapon to "ST:One Arm Striking ST" (or other appropriate option) in the drop-down list just above the Modes displays at the bottom of the dialog.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Thanks, yes - setting Damage Based On simply to "ST" is fine for the characters in hand, and fixes the problem.

I can say that Discworld doesn't feature Striking ST because I was trying to keep things as simple as possible (and to keep page count under some kind of control), and nothing in the setting proved to need it. Incidentally, GURPS Lite doesn't feature Striking ST either, so this problem could presumably have shown up with any characters built using that data file.

Thanks Again...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

I understand.

The mistake was mine; I implemented the change in default from ST to Striking ST improperly, and didn't make things as robust as they should have been. Things broke as a result.

Tags
discworld rpg, throwing weapons