Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #21
Too Bo Coo

Default Re: Aeroduel, and Boat Wars (Hydroduel?) in 6th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
I would not want to see boats, aircraft, & miscellanea included in a core Car Wars release, mostly because of the additional rules & equipment not suited to car/cycle/truck games. A separate supplement, possibly part of an ENTIRELY NEW published Car Wars campaign, would be nice.
I think mixing these types of vehicles up helped lead to the munchkinism (:P) of Car Wars..

I'm an old school purist. Keep the road combat civ vehicle game separate from these 'multiplatform' stuff. Besides, it give SJG 2-3 more games that they can produce and market, perhaps with some crossover rules. But for me it would detract from the main game to have to account for entire rule sections that I would buy, ignore and possibly add confusion to the 'main game'. It is called 'Car Wars' afterall...
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #22
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
No airplanes, tanks, boats, or any of the crap that helped ruin Car Wars in the first place. I thought I wanted those things and now realize they helped ruin a great game. I remember a brief conversation I had with Scott Haring back in 1986, that went something like this. Pacificon in case anyone cares.

Me-Alot of people want airplanes rules for Car Wars.

Scott-*pointing at the Midville map*Something like a P-51 Mustang would be off the map in one turn and do you think it would really add anything to the game?

Me-No, not really but it might be fun.

Alas Scott was right, I quess I own the man an appology.

I would argue that anyone wanting to add these extra's to 'Car Wars' would also in effect commit the scale to the present 1" = 15' to that, or as your comment points out, something even smaller.

I think the 'airplanes' in games like 40k are 100% ridiculous for 9/10 games people will play.

If SJG wants to add 'boutique' rules for the people that want them, along with the required scale minimization, great! But seeing these as part of a 'main game' would add to the reasons why I may not purchase.

"When you try to defend everything, you succeed in defending nothing." Sun Tzu
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
Chris Goodwin

What ruined Car Wars was not the boats and airplanes. It was the arms race, the notion that you couldn't be competitive without APSSFTDS or whatever ammo, and it was games with HC 8 monstrosities with 15 acceleration and 140 mph and ramplates and "gentleman's agreements" not to shoot at tires.

I see a ramplate, I will shoot tires.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Angrytubist

I don't see how mixing vehicle types could lead to muchkinism. If as I am suggesting the only special weapons for boats are underwater weapons, and bombs for planes.

If you hold the aircraft to a scale speed of less than 200 mph, you don't need another scale
(as folks have pointed out you can build cars faster than this.)

What really blows my mind about this is this tread asks the question. "Assuming Boats and airplanes WILL BE INCLUDED in the next edition, how would you like to see them handled?" not "Do you want to see boats and airplanes in the new edition?".

If you want to let everyone know why you DON'T want to see planes and boats in the new edition, start a thread for that or post it in the What I want to see in 6th edition thread.

This is probably way to harsh and confrontational, I kind of feel that I asked a question and got "Your question is stupid." rather than an answer.

Edit: I've reread the OP and realize I was not clear in what I meant. In fact those responses are appropriate to the question I asked, just not at all what I was hoping to discuss.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
What ruined Car Wars was not the boats and airplanes. It was the arms race, the notion that you couldn't be competitive without APSSFTDS or whatever ammo, and it was games with HC 8 monstrosities with 15 acceleration and 140 mph and ramplates and "gentleman's agreements" not to shoot at tires.

I see a ramplate, I will shoot tires.
Munchkinism can kill any game... well except Munchkin I suppose..lol
Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
This is probably way to harsh and confrontational, I kind of feel that I asked a question and got "Your question is stupid." rather than an answer.

It is, and your response above does not seem to allow for a 'step back' to ask 'Does everyone even want this??"
Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Angrytubist

Agreed, Though I think the main problem was that I didn't really intend to (though that's what I did ) ask folks if they wanted it. I meant to ask something more along the lines "If they were going to release this, how should it work?"

Again I'd like to reiterate I wasn't trying to insult anyone or be (any more than usual) inflammatory. I just feel that most of those who are not interested in vehicles other than wheeled ones, have already expressed their opinion at length in the other 6th edition thread, and it is a bit pointless to ask them to restate their opinions here.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
Chris Goodwin

Back on topic for me: In the pre-4th edition incarnations of the game, boats and airplanes and tanks (oh my!) were all separate purchases and totally optional, in that in order to use them you had to buy a separate product. I believe that this is how they should be handled in 6th edition; I further think they ought to be separate games that are entirely compatible with Car Wars and they should use their own settings, though the rules in them should be drop-in compatible with the base Car Wars game.

If there is a Great Big Book Of Everything Car Wars, then they should be included.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
Agreed, Though I think the main problem was that I didn't really intend to (though that's what I did ) ask folks if they wanted it. I meant to ask something more along the lines "If they were going to release this, how should it work?"

Again I'd like to reiterate I wasn't trying to insult anyone or be (any more than usual) inflammatory. I just feel that most of those who are not interested in vehicles other than wheeled ones, have already expressed their opinion at length in the other 6th edition thread, and it is a bit pointless to ask them to restate their opinions here.
No worries, it's just a friendly BB :)
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
Angrytubist

Indeed :)

Chris' idea that they should all have separate settings, and compatible rules is an interesting one, and bears further thought. (though that does make my "slow the planes down" idea seem far less credible.)

I agree they should be separate from the core set, and (like all other P&P game rules) totally optional.

Tags
aeroduel 6th edition, boat wars 6th edition, car wars 6th edition, car wars kickstarter