Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
Gudiomen

Default Re: High Level Magic

In case it hasn't become clear, the campaign ideas for what you're planning have some very very bad forethought issues. 2500/2500 Magic threshold, with no cost to the character, when every one else is stuck with 250cp characters is ridiculous.
Moral grey areas my arse, with this sort of power it becomes about world-shattering magic on a day to day basis. Get a few mages, or a patient one and you can reshape the world, literally!
Even if I were the mage, I can't see the fun in this. It's like nuclear war, whoever shoots first, wins.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not this one. Earth Vision is limited in range to 10 pts of energy worth. All the elemental Vision spells are.
Sorry,I got carried away with thoughts of almost unlimited power in my grasp(spell states max range is 50 yard deep).

Though,thing that interests me mostly are motivations of that Mage character:

Mages journal:
Monday:
After breakfast I went for as stroll by the beach when Gandalf come begging me to help with that pesky Sauron awakening again....I teleported to Saurons citadel and killed him...than spend next few hours in pleseant and intruiging conversation with my buddy Gandalf

Tuesday:
Around midnight my friend from Rome,Priest of Minerva contacted me and asked for yet another assistance in Rome...That pesky insane Nero has yet again set Rome on fire....good day of heavy rain I summoned sorted that out in notime....

Wednesday:
Urgent cry for help come from Atlantis.Enormous tidal wave is comming that will destroy it...."Nothing Shape Water spell couldnt deal with"

Thursday:
No interruption;I spent day taking care of my garden of roses

Friday:
Destroyed some random Barbarian horde before they managed pillaging some random kingdom,yet again...

Saturday:

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
This is way more than Galactus-level smashing of planets between thumb and forefinger. How many HP does the universe have?
8*cube root (3.5e55lb) = 2.6e19 HP

Evidently someone that strong couldn't not destroy the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Saturday:
Accidentally erased Earth from this plane of reality?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Agramer

Saturday:
Magical Experiment gone slightly awry.

Sunday:
What sunday?!?!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Saturday:
Magical Experiment gone slightly awry.
Did some of this during the Magic Items III playtest. There's a thing in that book called the Energy Straw that basically let's you tap the whole Earth's geothermal energy for a Draw Power.

As near as I could find out that runs to about 5 TW/second or about 11 million pts of energy. You could Create Fire over the whole continental US. All I could get them to change was to reduce the chances of the mage exploding when he did it. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Did some of this during the Magic Items III playtest. There's a thing in that book called the Energy Straw that basically let's you tap the whole Earth's geothermal energy for a Draw Power.

As near as I could find out that runs to about 5 TW/second or about 11 million pts of energy. You could Create Fire over the whole continental US. All I could get them to change was to reduce the chances of the mage exploding when he did it. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

Dunno,I never playtested anything.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #27
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurioth View Post
The campaign tally is 2500.
Holy crapping hell.

The amount of damage a munchkin could do with that sort of power. Wow. You could use Create Fire to light a circle a mile across. Use the optional rules in Thaumatology for burning energy to reduce cast time, and you could snap off a Rain of Fire in one second that create a storm of fiery rain two miles across. Make an Earthquake 600 yards across with the strength to crack fortifications and bring down towers. Burn a -lot- of energy for reduced cast time, and snap off a Mass Daze spell in one second that dazes every enemy within 250 yards of your aim-point (Slaughter time!). Don't forget to come back to any of these sites the next day with a guard, spend a couple hours in ritual, and Mass Zombie everything in a 350-yard circle, for your own little instant army. One can also get nasty with some particularly mean Mass Suggestions.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #28
Randover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

1) How can I do lots of single-target damage in a short time for fighting big monsters; and

2) What are some cool ideas for major spells of city-destroying caliber?
Solution Dragon Slave Anime: Slayers Destroys both party, cities, enemies bosses...all in one shot.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #29
Mr Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
It's like nuclear war, whoever shoots first, wins.
Actually , it is worse : if one nuclear armed nation launches on another , the target still has time to shoot back .

With a bit of well reasoned planning , He could probably get nuclear armed nations to nuke themselves if He didn't feel like conquering them without the bulk of the people even knowing it has happened in a day by enslaving the most important powerbrokers and frontmen of that country to His will and still have time for lunch , a good free shag with a $10,000 a day hooker and catch the latest episode of Dr Who over a take away pizza and a milkshake .

I think somewhere on these boards a lurking munchkin just had an evilgasm .