Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Tinkering with Technomancer: more Chimeras

I really like the Technomancer setting, but I am a bit bothered by the limited selection of Chimeras available (What can I say, I'm a furry. :P ).

So I was thinking of dropping the "major chimera races" bit and just make Chimeras extremely varied in nature: some are cat-people, others are canine-people, yet more are rabbit-people or ferret-people, and some rare few are spider-people and so on. And even within the basic category, there would be a lot of variation, so that some cat-people look like anime catgirls, while others look like hulking, humanoid felines with few human traits.

Also, I'd keep the "large population of Chimeras native to Trinity's Shadow" element, but I'd add other Chimeras all around the world; wolf-people in Europe, shark-people in the waters around Hawai, fox-people in japan, etc.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Fionn The Otaku

Default Re: Tinkering with Technomancer: more Chimeras

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
I really like the Technomancer setting, but I am a bit bothered by the limited selection of Chimeras available (What can I say, I'm a furry. :P ).

So I was thinking of dropping the "major chimera races" bit and just make Chimeras extremely varied in nature: some are cat-people, others are canine-people, yet more are rabbit-people or ferret-people, and some rare few are spider-people and so on. And even within the basic category, there would be a lot of variation, so that some cat-people look like anime catgirls, while others look like hulking, humanoid felines with few human traits.

Also, I'd keep the "large population of Chimeras native to Trinity's Shadow" element, but I'd add other Chimeras all around the world; wolf-people in Europe, shark-people in the waters around Hawai, fox-people in japan, etc.
I agree. Also there should be Jaguar based cat people as well as Puma based cat people in South and central america, Buffalo and wolf people in america's plains states, Bear people in Europe and America, Lion and Tiger like cat people in Asia, Lion and Leopard cat people in Africa, Croc/Snake/Spider and Dingo people in Australia. There should be more but that's all i can come up with off the top of my head.

Last edited by Fionn The Otaku; 07-14-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Fionn The Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn The Otaku
I agree. Also there should be Jaguar based cat people as well as Puma based cat people in South and central america, Buffalo and wolf people in america's plains states, Bear people in Europe and America, Lion and Tiger like cat people in Asia, Lion and Leopard cat people in Africa, Croc/Snake/Spider and Dingo people in Australia. There should be more but that's all i can come up with off the top of my head.
Cockroach-people (remember, these will be the main representatives of humanity after WWIII), wasp-people, ant-people, centipede-people, squid-people, bat-people (LOL), dolphin-people, elephant-people, worm-people, scorpion-people, crab-people, rat-people...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Xenarthral

Quote:
cat-people look like anime catgirls
You mean like the cat halflings?

Quote:
fox-people in japan
Is there any particular reason the fox chimera of Japan shouldn't be
identical in stats and abilities to the fox chimeras of Trinity's Shadow?
I got the impression they already had some kitsune inspiration.

Quote:
Puma based cat people in South and central america
Homo Sapiens Felis are puma people, that's why the cat halflings can
speak to pumas and not domestic cats.

Quote:
Lion and Tiger like cat people in Asia, Lion and Leopard cat people in Africa
One would imagine that leopard people would be far more common in
Asia than lion people (or tiger people for that matter).

What is really needed are the most common chimeras of Merlin-2
(Middle-East) and Merlin-3 (Central-ish Europe).
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Fionn The Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Cockroach-people (remember, these will be the main representatives of humanity after WWIII), wasp-people, ant-people, centipede-people, squid-people, bat-people (LOL), dolphin-people, elephant-people, worm-people, scorpion-people, crab-people, rat-people...
Sorry but the theme for Technomancer Chimera is major totem/power animals only. Which means of your suggestions only dolphin, elephant and scorpion people (Maybe Bat and Rat people) work.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn The Otaku
Sorry but the theme for Technomancer Chimera is major totem/power animals only. Which means of your suggestions only dolphin, elephant and scorpion people (Maybe Bat and Rat people) work.
Cockroaches seem to be a major urban survival totem these days.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Fionn The Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenarthral
You mean like the cat halflings?

Is there any particular reason the fox chimera of Japan shouldn't be
identical in stats and abilities to the fox chimeras of Trinity's Shadow?
I got the impression they already had some kitsune inspiration.

Homo Sapiens Felis are puma people, that's why the cat halflings can
speak to pumas and not domestic cats.

One would imagine that leopard people would be far more common in
Asia than lion people (or tiger people for that matter).

What is really needed are the most common chimeras of Merlin-2
(Middle-East) and Merlin-3 (Central-ish Europe).
I think Tiger People would be the most commen Asian Chimera because there more commen in Asian myth and Legend plus Asian leopard small as big cat go.

For the middle east Lions, Aurochis (Wild Cattle), Eagle, Scorpian, Maybe Rhino's or Hippo's and Possible Camels.
For Merlin-3 Wolf, Brown Bear, Aurochis (Wild Cattle), Wisent, Eagle and possibly Lions.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
AOTA

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a few more Chimeras but not a huge amount of them. If you have too many then they lose their uniqueness.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
Xenarthral

Quote:
I think Tiger People would be the most commen Asian Chimera
I was thinking more of Asian lions compared to Asian leopards.
Also, I'd be inclined to consider population (actual or technical/"if not
actively hunted") than mythological prominence for mammals (I've been
lead to believe that spiders (etc.) generally get points off for being
non-mammals and therefore creepy and alien in this kind of situation).

Quote:
Asian leopard small as big cat go
Significantly smaller than African leopards?

Quote:
For the middle east Lions, Aurochis (Wild Cattle), Eagle, Scorpian, Maybe Rhino's or Hippo's and Possible Camels.
Rhinos and hippos?
I'd be inclined to put jackals in there, for no real good reason.

Quote:
For Merlin-3 Wolf, Brown Bear, Aurochis (Wild Cattle), Wisent, Eagle and possibly Lions.
Why lions? Or wisents for that matter?
Going with the totem/mythological theory (in my copy of GURPS Technomancer it is just one of three listed theories), I would imagine that
the most important animals in Germanic mythology would be the primary
chimera species (plus the European wildcat on general principle).
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Fionn The Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Cockroaches seem to be a major urban survival totem these days.
Maybe, but that's a quite recent thing.

Quote:
I was thinking more of Asian lions compared to Asian leopards. Also, I'd be inclined to consider population (actual or technical/"if not actively hunted") than mythological prominence for mammals (I've been lead to believe that spiders (etc.) generally get points off for being non-mammals and therefore creepy and alien in this kind of situation).
Asian Lions were never that wide spread in the far east and I think mythological prominence is more important than population but no that much, or else wolf chimera would be more common than coyote. As for Spiders it depends both on what the local myths/legands about spiders are and what the local spiders are like, for example Japan has a number of legendary spider creatures and Australia has a large number of poisonous spiders.

Quote:
Significantly smaller than African leopards?
I had thought they were but now i'm not sure.

Quote:
Rhinos and hippos? I'd be inclined to put jackals in there, for no real good reason.
Maybe, after all there is Anubis.

Quote:
Why lions? Or wisents for that matter?
Because Lions are the King of Beasts, Greek myth had the Nemian Lion and acording to GURPS Cave Lions survived until recored history in eastern europe. As fo Wisent there European bison.

Quote:
Going with the totem/mythological theory (in my copy of GURPS Technomancer it is just one of three listed theories), I would imagine that the most important animals in Germanic mythology would be the primary chimera species (plus the European wildcat on general principle).
What about the Russians and Slavic countries or the Finns? What about Whales, Scotland, Ireland and Brittany which are still very Celtic rather than Germanic (or English or French).