Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Isurioth

Default High Level Magic

I am in a campaign with 250 pt characters playing a mage.

Due to a cap on magery, lv 3, I have some problem doing enough damage to compete with the others in my party, which includes for example a swordsman able to move at supersonic speeds and getting give extra attacks per turn.

I have convinced the GM to let me invent new spells, but I can't think up very many that are below the nuke range but above the current level I am at.

So far, I have invented one, a spells that brings down a rain of molten lead on a circular area 1 mile in diameter.

That proved useful when we were assaulting a city, but I still need more general purpose spells of that level of power.

Any ideas?
Isurioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Xilodel

Default Re: High Level Magic

I think part of the problem is your interpretation of "high level." 250 points is a lot for a realistic game; but for a cinematic sword and sorcery, high fantasy adventure, 250 points is at the low end of the spectrum. Additionally, what is the point value of this fighter if he can move at supersonic speeds and has a significant number of extra attacks per turn?

But, back on topic. If you want to increase your damage output, you can charge your spells ahead of time and store them (I think you can do one in each hand but IDHMBWM), then ambush. At level 3 magery, this means you can launch two 9d fireballs one after the other out of the gate. Also, if it fits your character concept, maybe ask your GM if you can design an innate attack for your mage. A PC in my campaign plays a mage who sold his soul to elemental powers, particularly those of fire, so he has a 3d innate fire attack, but most of his magical investments otherwise are relatively lacking.

Also, don't underestimate the ability to incapacitate other players. Spells like Itch, Wither Limb, etc. can seriously distract and cripple enemies and allow melee focused characters to run in and hack them to pieces. Even though they aren't particularly damaging, they can still end a fight just as quickly as a warhammer to the skull.

Also, don't forget GURPS doesn't prohibit mages from wearing armor or learning how to use a weapon. So if you feel like the fighters really get the edge, you can always throw a few points in Broadsword... just in case (I know it's not really a solution to the magic issue, but still.)
Xilodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
TJA

1 mile in diameter?

I realy would like to see the writeup for that Spell!
How much energy for that effect?

Anyway, i stand corrected about what "high level magic" may mean :D
Even my immortals currently have no access to such a power-level - and they require several thousand or tens of thousand points already!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Anaraxes

If exotic abilities like super-speed and multiple levels of Extra Attack (or ATR) are acceptable, then why have a Magery cap of 3? Just waive that limit; it's not particularly appropriate for high point levels in the first place.

How long would it take the speedy swordster to slaughter out everyone within a 1-mile radius int he city? Are you sure you're underpowered? Can you give us an idea of how much FP (or ER) you can devote to a single spell, and other relevant attributes of the magic system that your game uses?

There seem to be two different questions:

1) How can I do lots of single-target damage in a short time for fighting big monsters; and

2) What are some cool ideas for major spells of city-destroying caliber?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Isurioth

Anaraxes is correct, in that those are the two kinds of spells I am looking for.

I have threshold magic, which means every so often I can throw down something big.

The tally resets at midnight everyday, so I have one huge spell per day basically.

The rain of molten lead spell costs 2500 to cast, includes an hour long ritual, and a sacrifice of some kind. We have gotten around the virgin sacrifice thing by having children sacrifice their innocence, or clerics loosing their faith.

It is a thoroughly evil spell, but it has been necessary.

OOC: the campaign is focusing on moral gray areas and the realities of war.

Last edited by Isurioth; 05-25-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurioth View Post
I have threshold magic, which means every so often I can throw down something big.

The tally resets at midnight everyday, so I have one huge spell per day basically.

The rain of molten lead spell costs 2500 to cast, includes an hour long ritual, and a sacrifice of some kind.
Did you mean a 25,000 pt campaign? A Threshold of 2500 and a Recharge of 2500 per day should have cost you 24,.810 cp plus the 35 pts for Magery 3.

If you do have 2500 pts to blow on spells what was wrong with Create Fire? Pump that much energy into it and you've got a 1250 yard radius of 1D-1 per second for 60 seconds. It might not kill everyone in the vicinity instantly but if you can wait a minute....

I think you need to tell us more about this campaign. If you are building these characters on 250 pts somebody's doing things in a.....um, non-standard manner.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Isurioth

The campaign tally is 2500. Not my personal. The general idea in the campaign is that there are very few mages, all of which are walking bombs.

Thus, I get one huge spell a day, and a smattering of low level spells before then if I can manage.

The reason for the question is that I don't have very many spells that take advantage of that huge tally. Thus my request for high cost/high damage spells to use.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
The campaign tally is 2500. Not my personal. The general idea in the campaign is that there are very few mages, all of which are walking bombs.

Thus, I get one huge spell a day, and a smattering of low level spells before then if I can manage.

The reason for the question is that I don't have very many spells that take advantage of that huge tally. Thus my request for high cost/high damage spells to use.
With these energy levels, you could do Create Fire+Fast fire for obscene AOE damage
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Isurioth

Magery 3...
Also, I wasn't aware that you could pump up area spells area. Where is that rule?

I am sorry if I am ignorant, this is my first time playing a powerful caster.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Magery 3...
Also, I wasn't aware that you could pump up area spells area. Where is that rule?

I am sorry if I am ignorant, this is my first time playing a powerful caster.
Neither Create Fire nor Fast Fire require magery 4+ to scale. Turn 1, cast create fire on a decent radius (like 50 yards for 100 energy), and turn 2, cast Fast Fire over the same radius, to make the fire burn x48 (for 2400 energy).

Second option: Create a 2000 point fire elemental with Create Fire Elemental for 400 energy, and give it Altered Time Rate 2099 with Fast Fire (2100 energy)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote