Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Innerwall

Default Callous with Sense of Duty

One of my players wants to make a character with both Callous and Sense of Duty (towards the rest of the party). I mulled it over a bit, and decided to allow it (my reasoning is delineated in my email to him, posted below). I was just wondering how more experienced GURPS players deal with this situation. As usual, I appreciate all of your feedback!

I've given it some thought and I think Callous will work if you want it, but like it says, you don't care about anyone's emotions or pain (including that of your fellow PCs). My only concern would be how this works with your Sense of Duty towards your fellow adventurers, and the only thing I can come up with is that your character has the general opinion that there is strength in numbers, and that trust is essential, but that emotions make people weak. Maybe subconsciously he feels a bond towards anyone who stands up for him. This would give you a Sense of Duty of -5 towards your fellow PCs. It puts you in an interesting and challenging role-playing position because you'll have to dance between showing that you'll do basically anything to protect them, while acting somewhat callous towards them at the same time.

Note that to decipher peoples' emotions you still need to take Psychology (rolls at -3 to actually help people). At times I may require a self-control roll to keep you from being callous in sensitive situations. Also, if you end up feeling like this Disadvantage is too confining, you can have the option of buying it off with the points you gain through adventuring, in order to reflect a 'change of heart'.

~Albert Einstein~
Innerwall is offline   Reply With Quote