Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Gudiomen

Default One Step: Limited Warp (Shunpo, Sonido... anime super-speed)

In anime it's common for characters to suddenly disappear from one spot and appear in another almost effortlessly. Almost.

This is obviously a limited use of Warp, there are other ways to game this, but they are cumbersome and produce side-effects not consistent with what happens in the manga/anime. For example, it's most of the time explained by incredible speed... yet characters only use this for sudden moves, and not all the time and don't enjoy the benefits of generally increasing their speed this much.

Without getting into mechanics yet, this is... the ability to move instantly from point A to point B, as long as you could move their by other means (you can't arrive in the middle of the air if you can't fly or reach the location with a super jump, and the path must be unnobstructed).

That's simple enough to stat out with enhancements and limitations to Warp, but I can't recall if there is a way to reduce time to one step... not a free action, but not an entire turn...

Just like the Line-of-Sight enhancement replaces range, I'd like to find a "uses one step" limitation to replace time.

The reason for this is that one step translate better the ways you can corner a thus empowered character. The only reason you can hold a sword to his throat when he's on the floor is because he'd need his step to try to get up. The reason why they can't warp many times in one second, or the way in which a step meshes perfectly with other maneuvers... he could warp and attack, he could do a commited attack to warp, attack and warp away, etc...

Any idea how to price the "Takes One Step" Limitation/Enhancement?
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: One Step: Limited Warp (Shunpo, Sonido... anime super-speed)

Well, one way I can see to do this is to give it the Reliable +10 enhancement. Once you do that, you can warp even as a dodge, albeit only once per turn. Alternatively, you can burn LOTS of FP to kill off that -10 to use it instantly. One last option might be to grab Compartimentalized Mind, so one mind can be fighting and the other prepping for the teleport.

Note that you cannot use Reduced Fatigue Cost or Reduced Time in conjunction with Warp.

It is also worth noting that most examples of such movement tend to be very short range (almost certainly no more than 10 yards of movement), so the cost reduction from Range Limit 10 yd would cancel out Reliable +10. Depending on what you set the Endpoint Must Be Accessable by Foot limitation at (it's buried in these forums somewhere), you could still get away with less than a 100 CP cost.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
In anime it's common for characters to suddenly disappear from one spot and appear in another almost effortlessly. Almost.

This is obviously a limited use of Warp, there are other ways to game this, but they are cumbersome and produce side-effects not consistent with what happens in the manga/anime. For example, it's most of the time explained by incredible speed... yet characters only use this for sudden moves, and not all the time and don't enjoy the benefits of generally increasing their speed this much.
They don't enjoy the benefits or standard drawbacks of teleporting either. It doesn't let them move through solid barriers for examples.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Blood Legend

I asked this too, search for Flash Step. I got some stuff in that thread.

I ended up going with extremely high basic move, being able to move 5 spaces with a step maneuver seemed to do everything I needed it to.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Humabout

Flash Step Thread

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

What you want is a slightly modified form of Castling.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Gudiomen

I know how to limit Warp to get the desired effects, the reliability, the limited range, the necessity for a path and lack of obstructions, all that is easy to model. Everything else fits, even the FP expenditure.

My question is specifically how much the "Takes One Step" enhancement would cost, and how that would apply to Warp.

Reliable +10 would allow an unmodified instant use of Warp, at +50%. However, Reliable would also help when not using it so fast, which I don't want to be an option and thus irrelevant. I don't want it to affect range either, as it'll be severely limited and when greater distances are attempted I still want to penalty to apply. So it's only good for allowing instant jumps.

I'd say the time to warp is the most important thing, since range brackets are pretty big. The fact that it's not a flat bonus, rather an offset of penalties will reduce the cost further. Reliabe (Only to Offset Time Penalties, Does not Affect Range) is probably at least half as valuable as regular Reliable, probably less. So we're looking at +25% or +20%.

The fact that you cannot take more time to warp, even if you want to, is a limitation as well since you cannot spend a lot of time to get a bonus. Say, -10%.

Then there's the fact that it's not truly instant, and still takes a Step, this is where I'm having most difficulty.

All in all, I'm tempted to call the whole thing +0% for robbing the player the option of prep time, eliminating the instant warps, and not penalizing the only mode of time available to use the power. Charging 1 FP per use.

It's still a ton of points, and if it's not +0% it's pretty darn close, I think I'm off at most by 5-10%.

Edit: there are also minor side-effects that help mitigate any imprecision, such as the fact that ATR would be able to see the character in transit, and if an ATR posessing foe took a Wait maneuver he could interrupt, and someone with ATR would also be able to defend normally (parry, dodge, etc...)

Last edited by Gudiomen; 05-27-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
What you want is a slightly modified form of Castling.
Sorry, I didn't understand that at all...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
Reliable +10 would allow an unmodified instant use of Warp, at +50%. However, Reliable would also help when not using it so fast, which I don't want to be an option and thus irrelevant. I don't want it to affect range either, as it'll be severely limited and when greater distances are attempted I still want to penalty to apply. So it's only good for allowing instant jumps.
You could always apply an Accesibility limitation to Reliable. Something like Negates Time Penalties Only (-20%) or Only to Negate Instant Use Penalty (-20%).

I'd not give a higher cost reduction than -20% for Instant Use over Time Penalties, because I really don't see any reason to take a longer time if you can take a shorter time.

As for your original question, I've got no real answer for you. I'd probably just make it cost +50% since that's how much it'd cost to negate the instant use penalty, and that's just about how long it takes you to use it.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
carllarson

Special Movement limitation? Its for Jumper, but could work in this mode.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
castling