Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #491
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
But the knight in shining armour is itself not a global image. It's unfamiliar in the far East and most of Africa, alien in India and Pakistan, hostile in the Near Eastů. An image doesn't have to be as iconic and quintessential as that. Besides, the worlds of the Imperium share a thousand years of Imperial history with Imperial marines in it, mostly on their side.
Indians have the Kshatriya. Who also by coincidence wore shinning armor if not as much.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #492
Voltron64
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Law Level Clarifications

Law level typically refers to arms control in the society, not how restrictive it is overall, exceptions withstanding.

Portable energy weapons (Law Level 2) refer to things like FGMPs and PGMPs. Laser Pistols and Carbines are considered more as light assault weapons (Law Level 4) with Laser Rifles as automatic weapons (Law Level 3).
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #493
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Venturers Guild Badge:

This is the logo of one traders guild. It is a triangle with a silver stag on the bottom, and a crossed silver caudaucus and spear with a stylized starship carrying a silver key in the middle. On a dark blue field. With the motto pete tibi tradere in divitiis in procul fera custodire ab armis (seek your wealth in the far wild to keep by your gallant arms).

The caudaucus represents Mercury of course, the spear represents Mars, the stag, Diana, and the key Pluto. The starship speaks for itself. And the motto is another way of saying, "a ship gets you a cargo, a gun helps you keep it".
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #494
Drifter
 
Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron64 View Post
Law Level Clarifications

Law level typically refers to arms control in the society, not how restrictive it is overall, exceptions withstanding.

Portable energy weapons (Law Level 2) refer to things like FGMPs and PGMPs. Laser Pistols and Carbines are considered more as light assault weapons (Law Level 4) with Laser Rifles as automatic weapons (Law Level 3).
I've always used it as both a guide to weapons AND how likely it is you'll have to talk to an official; i.e. how restrictive. With Exceptions.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #495
Drifter
 
Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Venturers Guild Badge:

This is the logo of one traders guild. It is a triangle with a silver stag on the bottom, and a crossed silver caudaucus and spear with a stylized starship carrying a silver key in the middle. On a dark blue field. With the motto pete tibi tradere in divitiis in procul fera custodire ab armis (seek your wealth in the far wild to keep by your gallant arms).

The caudaucus represents Mercury of course, the spear represents Mars, the stag, Diana, and the key Pluto. The starship speaks for itself. And the motto is another way of saying, "a ship gets you a cargo, a gun helps you keep it".
Thats some motto to embroider on your jacket :)
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #496
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Thats some motto to embroider on your jacket :)
It is from a place with a tradition of micro-heraldry just to begin with. Another way is to put half the words on top and half on bottom. Or in a circle around. And in a full size flag or similar there would not be a problem. And of course only the Latin is meant to be shown on the logo, not the translation. Which requires only eleven words.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-05-2015 at 07:20 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #497
Hans Rancke-Madsen
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
It is from a place with a tradition of micro-heraldry just to begin with. Another way is to put half the words on top and half on bottom. Or in a circle around. And in a full size flag or similar there would not be a problem. And of course only the Latin is meant to be shown on the logo, not the translation. Which requires only eleven words.
Such homilies are usually abbreviated for mottos. I'm not well enough versed in Latin to work it out, but I'd expect the actual motto to be the Latin for "Ship gets, gun keeps".


Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #498
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Such homilies are usually abbreviated for mottos. I'm not well enough versed in Latin to work it out, but I'd expect the actual motto to be the Latin for "Ship gets, gun keeps".


Hans
How about:

comitiis per navigatione, per arma custodiunt

(gain by voyage, keep by arms)
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #499
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
The USA probably does get a disproportionate amount of attention for one reason: it's influence on the development of the Imperial bill of rights, which is derived from that of the Sylean Federation, which is derived from that of the Rule of Man, which is derived from that of the Terran Confederation, which is derived from the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Even disproportionate attention does not necessarily amount to very much, though.


Hans
If I haven't said it earlier, I'll say it now, the USA would be seen in a negative light by the 3I. Our virtues are scary to them, our good stuff a threat, and our vices all to easy for an Imperial Aristocratic Society to line up and mock ferociously. If nothing else they can steal all the wittiest attacks the French, Brits, and Germans, have made on us and recycle them.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #500
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
If I recall Taoism was sort of a tangential creed having a cultural position similar to mendicants in the West and dervishes in Islam. A Taoist priest might get an invitation from an Emperor but wouldn't become a court priest.

My memory could be wrong though.
I say your menory is good.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.