Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-14-2006, 06:53 AM   #21
Storn

Default Re: Art for games

Here is another character commission for the patron extraordinaire, Death Tribble. A modded, weaponized Apollo space suit was the idea.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...dSuitloRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
Storn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #22
Spudzill

Shouldn't Death Tribble be a mutant ball of fur?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #23
NeverCool

Just checked your stuff out. Damn, you're good! I especially love the ones you post in pure pencilcraft (no color, no inking). For some reason, pure pencil has a stronger effect on me than 'finished' works.

Too bad you're beyond my price range. 45 per figure and 50-100 for background , some 50 illustrations in a book, dear Lord that would ruin me in a heartbeat... too bad quality costs, eh :-P
NeverCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #24
Storn

This is RL's 1920s pulpy character.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...hangeloRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
09-13-06 01:39 PM
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #25
Storn

Here are two supporting cast NPCs from our Prime Time Adventures game: Lions at the Gate.

If you are interested in the actual play write ups of a really great, avant garde system.. check out:

week one, Pilot: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21411.0

week two: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21510.0

And then the pics themselves:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Storn/Hecate.jpg

Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #26
Storn

William Reger has contracted me for 5 character commissions for his "Rippers" game. I usually don't go into this much detail, but William provide me with the BEST OVERALL character descriptions that I've ever gotten. William's organization, his attention to detail, he even thinks about body language. And I wanted to share.

I'll post the 2 character descriptions and tell you what I liked about them. Then I'll show you the pictures, and tell you why I changed the things I did from the descriptions.
-----
First description

Character Name: Lady Solana Cadizi (public persona of Noche’ Sofia)
Sex: Female

Physical Description: 21 year old female Spanish Noble, 5’ 3”, 110 firm and trim pounds, medium chest, long, very dark brown wavy hair with red undertones, worn in a “Gibson girl” style. Intelligent Green eyes, arched eyebrows, delicate features, fair skinned.

Game Stats (Savage Worlds): Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Hindrances: Curious, Quirk: frequent hand washing, Loyal, Secret Identity (Noche’ Sofia)
Edges: Attractive, AB: Magic, Noble

Genre: Victorian

Usual Outfit: Fashionable red long Spanish style dress, brown lace-up shoes with a 2” heel. She holds a red and gold parasol open to shield her skin from the sun and a medium brown purse with the left hand and arm. Dangling pearl earrings, a pearl ring on the right hand (fingers slightly curved) over her heart with long slender fingers ending in manicured but bare nails. (Note the dress hides her costume – see Noche’ Sofia)

Pose: Standing, daylight, facing artist as if she has just been asked a slightly inappropriate question. One eyebrow should be slightly raised and the face should have a quizzical look, as if she can’t believe she heard right. A slight smile might hint at her amusement of the situation.

2nd description
Character Name: Noche’ Sofia (secret identity of Lady Solana Cadizi)
Sex: Female

Physical Description: 21 year old female Spanish Noble, 5’ 3”, 110 firm and trim pounds, medium chest, long, very red wild hair (a wig), worn loose. Intelligent Green eyes, black mask around the eyes and over the nose and upper lip hides delicate features, fair skinned.

Game Stats (Savage Worlds): Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Hindrances: Curious, Quirk: frequent hand washing, Loyal, Secret Identity (Noche’ Sofia)
Edges: Attractive, AB: Magic, Noble

Genre: Victorian

Usual Outfit: Tight black leather outfit (ala “Cat Woman”) long sleeved, long pants, black belt with pouches, flat black shoes, tunic rounded neck at collarbone matching level of breast exposure of the normal dress with button up coverage, and pants lace up the front. There is a slim dagger in built in sheath on the right thigh and black gloves without fingertips.

Pose: A crouching lunge with a bolt of fire coming out of her extended right hand, left hand palm out over her head, and raised up on back toes. Eyes sparking, exposed skin slightly flushed.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Storn/Solana.jpg

Okay, what did I change? I changed the Sofia Noche personae from a crouch to "mirror" her other civilian guise. I wanted to draw a connection between these two figures... so even if the viewer DOESN'T know that they are one and the same, the viewer will really know that there is a strong connection between the two figures.

I also strived to make Sofia's "catsuit" period. Which was me extrapolating like crazy, but I wanted to avoid the Catwoman's current look.

Being a big fan of Gibson's turn of the century artwork, I refrenced some of it. It is the right time period! And I saw a lot of these jackets, "waist" jackets? I'm a sucker for shoulder pads, child of the 80s, what can I say. So I added the jacket to Solana. I kept her details pretty close to the description.

And there you have it... from excellent description to final image.

Now, I have patrons like Death Tribble who just gives me a couple of sentences in a character description. And I love working on his stuff. But William's thoroughness is nice too. And useful to think about as a checklist if you are thinking of commissioning a character illustration.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #27
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn
I've got similar threads on similar forums, but I dont' have one here. If this makes the admins uncomfortable... please strike it.
An interesting idea, sort of an Actual Play thread, but from an artist's POV. Nifty idea; let's just focus more towards the games, and less on your commissions, and it'll be fine.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #28
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Here is Ekaterina from a cyberpunk game. This is her alter-ego Murasaki Oni. I haven't converted her into GURPS yet. And her Hero stats were a bit on the hinky side.

I re-did Violet over the weekend after getting some input from my gamers and some co-workers. Here are her GURPS stats (page 1, page 2). We use Multiplicative Modifiers in our Supers Games. I'm stuck to 800x600 (or in this case 420x600), so I'm sorry her sheet isn't that legible.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #29
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

And here is the GURPS character sheet for Sakura from a little bit up in the thread.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #30
Icelander

[COLOR=Black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
And here is the GURPS character sheet for Sakura from a little bit up in the thread.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
You'll hate me for saying this, but I just think that there is no way that her Custom Colts could carry 15 rounds of 45. ACP ammunition.

I mean, no matter how much you modify the basic design, the M1911 is still going to have a single-stack magazine. You won't get a 15 round magazine in a .45 unless you are willing to have the grip be absurdly broad and the magazine stick out quite a lot.

And ST 8? For someone who fires 2 .45 ACPs? You'll be operating at a stiff penalty most of the time.

*keeps rambling about perceived illogical genre conventions in games and fiction featuring underaged Japanese supergirls*

Tags
art