Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Geese Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_rp View Post
All this is to say that I think they qualify as allies, not dependents, because they pull his flying machine, so he gets a definite benefit from them.
As the power source of his vehicle they shouldn't cost anything extra at all. Otherwise if they flock around him and fight his enemies, an innate attack with Area Effect, Homing, Mobile, and Persistent might be much simpler, and avoid the "what do geese spend points on" problem entirely.

Alternatively, instead of Ally Group, consider insead a single Ally with Body of Swarm. Then earned points mostly just mean more geese.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-08-2023 at 05:20 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:43 AM   #32
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
As the power source of his vehicle they shouldn't cost anything extra at all. Otherwise if they flock around him and fight his enemies, an innate attack with Area Effect, Homing, Mobile, and Persistent might be much simpler, and avoid the "what do geese spend points on" problem entirely.

Alternatively, instead of Ally Group, consider insead a single Ally with Body of Swarm. Then earned points mostly just mean more geese.
The idea is that he raised them from their hatching, and they have imprinted on him. They follow him everywhere he goes and are fiercely protective. In turn, he relates to his geese more than people and has the disadvantage “Odious Personal Habit : Brings Geese Everywhere”.
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:51 AM   #33
Derrick_rp

On reviewing this thread as well as the rules regarding animal companions, it does seem like GURPS treats animals as property unless they have unusual powers of some kind. These geese are just geese. They are geese he is very attached to, so I think the best approach it to purchase them as Signature Gear.

However, I think I will represent his unusual attachment to them with “Odious Personal Habit : Brings Geese Everywhere”, and “Sense Of Duty : Geese”.

That last one is a bit of a puzzle to me. Sense of Duty definitely seems geared to intelligent creatures. How would you price Sense Of Duty for a flock of about 10 to 12 geese?
Old 05-10-2023, 03:12 AM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
On reviewing this thread as well as the rules regarding animal companions, it does seem like GURPS treats animals as property unless they have unusual powers of some kind.
More that the Ally advantage is difficult to implement for very low point Allies relative to the PC. The Pet perk is usually a better choice for a normal pet. Dependent also works for animals, but of course, means they routinely get into trouble.

Personally, if you want them to be useful in a fight, I would go with Innate Attack here.

Quote:
That last one is a bit of a puzzle to me. Sense of Duty definitely seems geared to intelligent creatures. How would you price Sense Of Duty for a flock of about 10 to 12 geese?
[-5]; equivalent to Close Friends and Companions.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:11 AM   #35
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Personally, if you want them to be useful in a fight, I would go with Innate Attack here.
This doesn’t make sense to me. A gun is not an innate attack, it’s equipment, because it is available for purchase by anyone. Seems like geese should be treated similarly.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:34 AM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
This doesn’t make sense to me. A gun is not an innate attack, it’s equipment, because it is available for purchase by anyone. Seems like geese should be treated similarly.
Realistic actual geese are a terrible weapon. They are just going to get slaughtered and flee. Doing this would violate your Sense of Duty, and mostly just be gross and sad.

Tags
allies, dependents, goose, intimidation