Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Corco's Villa (OOC)

Once, you were a lone hero of a longshot cause. You wanted to change the world, but found that the world was just a little too big. Then you met Corco, a dimension traveler who promised to one day sponsor your cause -- If you helped with with his causes first. Now you stay in his villa, waiting your turn, and occasionally wondering how long it will be until your cause is at the top of his list. Though you have to admit, saving a planet from being turned into the personal torture resort and buffet of a demon lord is probably pretty important...

Corco's Villa is a world between worlds, a sort of garden dimension maintained by Corco and his numerous family in the name of a grandfather than no one seems to ever see. Corco collects and houses dimensional travelers of all kinds, but of particular interest to our story is his collection of heroes.

Corco collects teams of Heroes and sends them forth into the multiverse to save worlds, change the fate of empire, and slay otherwise eternal tyrants. We will be following the missions of one such team.

Recurring Interdimensional foes of the villa include:
  • Demon Lords seeking to obtain mastery over more worlds, mostly though mystical means, but occasionally with full on invasions
  • The Em-Ju, a collective of cybernetic psionic constructs that enter higher tech worlds and dismantle them to make more of themselves
  • The Eternal Lich Lord, who has slain and reanimated entire worlds, and seeks to add more to his domain.
But most of the time, the Heroes of the Villa will combat more local problems, like Kingmaking in a newly forged empire, slaying the god-tyrant of babylon, stopping a nuclear war, blowing up a zonemind, or making sure that the local legendary dark sorcerer stays sealed in his prison.

Each world will be wildly different, and each will have its own magic, technology, and problems.

EDIT:

Links to important rulings:
Per-Session Refresh rate: 120

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-24-2023 at 08:01 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (OOC)

Characters should be inspired by Fantasy, pulp, action, and science fiction. We will not be playing with supers characters, and mages who can do anything are discouraged, though focused mages are just fine*. You should give a brief description of how the character fit into the world they came from as well as their basic concept. Characters should not be unique or new in their own world, though they may be comparatively rare.

Common challenges will include solving mysteries, tracking down enemies, battling minions, and navigating strange terrain. Characters should be able to contribute to both combat and investigative play. Characters should also have some way of looking like a human (even if its just "tie down my ears and put on makeup"). I'm looking for heroic characters. Each should have a reason they aren't on their homeworld, like being exiled, having lost those near and dear to them, and so forth.

Characters will be built on 300 points plus the impulse-buy version of destiny (15 points) and a "power set". Up to 50 extra points may be awarded for a concept using a "minimal" power set

Power sets will consist of powers, cinematic advantages, and access to gear/technology. The GM will be be build the power sets, though simple builds and precise descriptions are welcome. Power sets will be around 150 points, though that's a pretty rough estimate, and DR and ST will be extremely heavily discounted, along with firepower. Attributes beyond ST are unlikely to be included in power sets, as are skills: buy those with your base 300 points. Advantages granting a sort of invulnerability will have a weakness of one sort or another. Alternative Abilities may be used.

As far as power level goes, I'm looking at about monster hunters levels, with the brawny categories being quite a bit brawnier.

Buy languages for the character as though they were in their home world. Corco's magic will map the languages to local equivalents, but they won't increase the number of languages you know. So if your character knows both English and Spainish, but no other languages, in the fantasy world may know elven and common, but not dwarven or orc. If you want to buy Corco's actual language, buy latin.

Per and Will will be purchased separately from IQ.

If you want a custom talent, just ask. The skills ideally should all use the same attribute and have a focus.

And speaking of asking, this is a fairly ambitious project as far as character creation goes, so feel free to ask questions and work things out before the character sheet is finished, or to ask for help or advice

* magic should have one to three focuses. For example, a mage might have the focuses illusion and TK. Or alternatively necromancy and divination.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-19-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
mages who can do anything are discouraged
"This mage? No manipulators, no senses. Can't do anything."
I know you meant the other anything.

Quote:
Up to 50 extra points may be awarded for a concept using a "minimal" power set
So how minimal is minimal? 1/3 of what remains? Just one ability?

Quote:
Attributes beyond ST are unlikely to be included in power sets, as are skills: buy those with your base 300 points.
So no power skills? (i.e. the skills in Psionic Powers) No spells either?

Quote:
Buy languages for the character as though they were in their home world. Corco's magic will map the languages to local equivalents, but they won't increase the number of languages you know.
Are we basically buying X languages at whichever comprehension level or should we coordinate which languages are bought?

---

How important is operating at a different TL? i.e. Should we bother taking skills at multiple tech levels?
Is taking lower than baseline TL an advisable disadvantage?
Are there any points for flavor skills and such?
Are social dis/advantages relevant?
Is cultural familiarity being used?
Should we include a load-out?
Which magic system? (I had half a mind to phrase this as: "Which witch?")
Is stacking the power set with meta-game advantages (i.e. Luck) allowed?
Are wildcard skills allowed?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Some really good questions here.

Quote:
Which magic system? (I had half a mind to phrase this as: "Which witch?")
This is probably the best one. The magic system is magic as powers. Thus the name "Power Set" for magic abilities, racial templates, and cinematic advantages.

Quote:
So how minimal is minimal? 1/3 of what remains? Just one ability?
This is essentially a subject GM judgement. I suppose some examples are in order. If you play a cinematic western gunslinger who has gunslinger and maybe a few other upgrades in their power slot, that's considered minimal, and gets the full 50 extra points. If you play a crusty dwarf gadgeteer who makes other people's machines work, that's less minimal, but still worth 40 extra points. If you play a vampire with just the template from the basic set, that's minimalish, and you get 30 extra points.

Quote:
So no power skills? (i.e. the skills in Psionic Powers) No spells either?
Great question. Power skills wouldn't be considered part of the power set, you'd need to buy them. And you will probably be able to do more if you do. We aren't using a spells as skills magic system. I haven't decided about chi skills or enthrallment skills, but I should probably warn you off them.

Quote:
Are we basically buying X languages at whichever comprehension level or should we coordinate which languages are bought?
Yes, you're basically buying X languages. Don't feel the need to make the crusty dwarf and the vampire speak the same language.

Quote:
How important is operating at a different TL? i.e. Should we bother taking skills at multiple tech levels?
That's a great question. No, we'll intentionally be downplaying those differences. We'll say that until you spend a few hours figuring out the local tech you've got a familiarity penalty of -2 or -3, but after that you'll figure things right out. This will even apply to things like using a laser riffle when you're accustomed to muskets. but this will only apply when adapting to a new world (so you don't carry the laser musket with you)

Quote:
Is taking lower than baseline TL an advisable disadvantage?
Its considered to be part of the power set, and is part of whether the set is considered minimal or not.

Quote:
Are there any points for flavor skills and such?
you know me well! If you flag them as such, go ahead and take 10 points for flavor skills.

Quote:
Are social dis/advantages relevant?
Not really. If you want to be able to pass as a King, take kingly skills, and if you want to actually be a king, we'll account for that in the power set... and even then it will be basically free.

Quote:
Is cultural familiarity being used?
That's a great question. I suppose the answer here is that you won't be penalized for missing them, but that you can claim bonuses for having a relevant one, as long as you aren't buying 20 of them.

Quote:
Should we include a load-out?
Just a simple basic one. Usual weapons, any signature gear or things you will never be without.

Quote:
Is stacking the power set with meta-game advantages (i.e. Luck) allowed?
Yes, that's a valid power concept.

Quote:
Are wildcard skills allowed?
Yes, unless you spam them at the [3] point level.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa

OK, I'll just ask if any ideas I've come up with don't fit:
1) A ridiculously lucky spy (the spy part would probably be somewhere between semi-realistic and totally unrealistic)
2) A mecha pilot and their 30 foot mecha (95% certain that this butts up against supers)
3) A frontier lawman and their large bird steed (possibly flying steed)
4) A spirit medium (primarily ESP and talking with the dead, maybe allies if points allow)
5) A gadgeteer versatile enough to make things up on the spot
6) An non-human that can pass with planning but could be outed easily.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:26 AM   #6
petrovski

Quote:
1) A ridiculously lucky spy (the spy part would probably be somewhere between semi-realistic and totally unrealistic)
2) A mecha pilot and their 30 foot mecha (95% certain that this butts up against supers)
4) A spirit medium (primarily ESP and talking with the dead, maybe allies if points allow)

I really was actually looking for some inspiration - I like the idea of the gadgeteer actually - so i might steal one of those ideas from you. Though I was looking at how to build a 40k-esque space marine too.
petrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I think these mostly look good. The Mecha works fine if its done with the right flavor: either battle tech or star craft could provide inspiration. Number 5 and 6 would need more flavor, but nothing disqualifies them yet. "Outed Easily" is not as important as "Can pass". The inability to walk down the street is what I don't want.

The lucky spy is the only one that's a little iffy. A consciously lucky spy feels a little too "unique" and towards superheroes. A spy that just has a bunch of meta traits to explain why he's so good is fine.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So how is the character building coming along?

Old 04-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #9
TGLS

Quote:
So how is the character building coming along?
I got something provisional together:

Short Biography
Halcyone is an Tendriloid 300X model OAI, a form of artificial life legal to be owned on her home world. Originally owned by a marketing executive and employed as an assistant and bodyguard, she was convinced to flee and joined a resistance group. Her cell was sold out, and she eventually tracked down the person responsible, the very person who convinced her to join in the first place. No longer feeling that the movement could succeed, she was recruited by Corco who promised to help the movement if she helped him.

Appearance
Without using pigment alteration, Halcyone is a pale purple from head to, erm, club, apart from her eyes which are a greyish blue with white sclera. The “hair” on her head is a mass of very fine tendrils, which can respond to pigment alteration and move under their own power. She stands about 160 cm (~5’3”) in a “relaxed” state, though when not splaying out (i.e. by trying to blend in with humans) she rises to about 188 cm (~6’2”). In human terms she appears more slender than muscular (though she is a dense 100 kg (~220 lb.)), and her upper body conforms to feminine human norms. She has no belly button and most of her body is unnaturally smooth by human standards.

Loadout
Halcyone is rarely seen outside one of the Bioplas Suits (UT174) she stole from her employer all those years ago. She usually layers it under actual clothing for decency and disguise. In situations where subtlety is called for, she arms herself with a Gauss Minineedler (UT141). When firepower is a priority, she instead arms herself with three Gauss Rifles (UT141), firing them sequentially or simultaneously.

Character Sheet
Link to Current

Remarks
I pretty sure my proposed power set won’t fit. I can do some trimming all the same. There’s a long biography but this is long enough as is. I might change some things on the provisional character sheet, I need to put something up before I fiddle away another week.

Last edited by TGLS; 10-20-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

I've been working on a "face man" type character (with the associated Wildcard skill), but I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping with the Shapeshifting dragon idea just yet... it's hovering between plan and thought experiment.

I'm tempted by the thought of a Style! or Ultimate Style! based martial artist, which I keep trying to do, but never manage to get into play for more than a few posts... but I think the jury was still out on cinematic martial arts skills.

If petrovski does not go for it, I'm always down for a gadgeteer... It was my first thought for this one, but both the other interested players mentioned it, so I shied away.

EDIT: I'm sorry, Monster Hunters: Justice did run for more than a few posts!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 04-26-2021 at 04:25 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote