Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Afflict Clumsiness.

Hello, I was attempting to create an area that would duplicate the horrific, and deadly, accidents as scene in the Final Destination movie series. Basically, when characters enter a specific area, they have to try to make a save, or otherwise suffer a dangerous, possibly deadly accident.

Affliction: Total Klutz - Paraplegic [25] (B141)
-Area Effect: 8 yards [+150%] (B102)
-Based on DX [+20%] (B102)
-Bombardment (Effective SL 12) [-15%] (B111)
-Follow-Up: “Innate Attack – Crushing (cr) B61)” [+20%] (B106)
-Malediction [+200%] (B106)
-No Signature (Attack) [+20%] (B106)

Follow-Up: Innate Attack – Crushing (cr) [= The cost of Follow-Up equals the sum of the costs of whichever of the following modifiers apply to the carrier attack: Always On, Aura, Cone, Drifting, Emanation, Emergencies Only, Extra Recoil, Guided, Homing, Increased Range, Jet, Limited Use, Malediction, Melee Attack, Preparation Required, Rapid Fire, Reduced Range, Takes Extra Time, Takes Recharge, Unconscious Only, Uncontrollable, or Unreliable.] (B61)
-Bombardment (Effective SL 14) [-5%] (B111)
-Double Knockback (dkb) [+20%] (B104)
-Malediction [+200%] (B106)
-No Signature (Attack) [+20%] (B106)
-Reduced Duration 1/60 [-30%] (B106)

What do you think?

Last edited by Coinage; 06-29-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
DangerousThing

Default Re: Afflict Clumsiness.

If we're really talking about the Final Destination movies, I think it is more thank Klutz. This is more like extreme Unluckiness or Cursed. The universe was trying to kill the characters. They would walk into an area and an overhead sign would fall on them. They'd be cooking and an almost Rube-Goldbergesqe series of events would occur and a fire would start.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Coinage

Right. However, I couldn't find anything in the description of either "Cursed" and "Unlikeness" provide any mechanical description as to how to apply such conditions. I wanted to be as explicit as to what the players had to do to avoid any damage, and what a game master could do. If you have found one, please let me know.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Right. However, I couldn't find anything in the description of either "Cursed" and "Unlikeness" provide any mechanical description as to how to apply such conditions. I wanted to be as explicit as to what the players had to do to avoid any damage, and what a game master could do. If you have found one, please let me know.
Weirdness Magnet with Cosmic "The Universe is out to Get YOU. Yes YOU." Weirdness Magnet is already a bit of "the world bends to wig you out." Adding a multiplier that goes from "gee, that's inconveniently odd" to "lethal intent" seems simple enough, if you're trying to get in the ballpark.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Coinage

Right, but I was hoping to have specific Skill rolls in place that characters could use to NOT get hit. I wanted to give the characters a fighting chance.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Anaraxes

It would depend on the situation the universe chose to hose you with each time. Cursed isn't "rocks fall; you die". It's merely frequent unfortunate situations -- where "unfortunate" doesn't necessarily mean a lethal threat. There's lots of ways to spoil a character's life without trying to kill him. There's too many ways just to say "make a Will roll and avoid the situation".

The real burden is on the GM, having to come up with novel events. You can only decree a random crit fail so many times.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

There are a few ways of doing it. I would favor the following approach:

Out of Time (+495%/770%): Affliction (Will; Based on Will, +20%; Disadvantage, Cursed, +75%; Link, +20%; Increased Duration, 1000x, +120%; Malediction 3, +200%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; No Signature, Mystical, +25%; Selectivity, +10%) [60] plus Affliction (Will; Attribute Penalty, -10 ST, -10 DX, -10 IQ, -10 HT, +300%; Based on Will, +20%; Delay, Triggered by Cursed, +50%; Increased Duration, 1000x, +120%; Linked, +20%; Malediction 3, +200%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; No Signature, Mystical, +25%; Selectivity, +10%) [87]. Notes: While the attack may be customized through the use of Selectivity, the default use causes the attribute penalty to trigger when Cursed activates and last for one minute after Cursed comes into effect. Regardless of the nature of the effect caused by Cursed, the victim is likely incapable of dealing with the consequences, as they suffer a -10 to all of their attributes for one minute after the Curse is triggered. 147 points.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 06-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Coinage

That is a very thorough write-up. Right, I was thinking of having the having that occur as an Environmental Condition. As such, I was thinking of adding the Enhancement: "Area Effect".
Old 07-01-2020, 02:35 AM   #9
Daigoro

Another tack is to inflict Terminal Illness, with the Mitigator "must avoid daily deathtraps."
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:27 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Weirdness Magnet with Cosmic "The Universe is out to Get YOU. Yes YOU." Weirdness Magnet is already a bit of "the world bends to wig you out." Adding a multiplier that goes from "gee, that's inconveniently odd" to "lethal intent" seems simple enough, if you're trying to get in the ballpark.
Weirdness Magnet + Cursed.