Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-27-2023, 04:57 AM   #1
Dr. Beckenstein

Default Chaosiums Rivers of London RPG

As usual , I discovered this novels with a few days delay. After I found them, I read the whole series and always thought "This is campaign material. When will the rpg comes out? And by whom?"

So, Chaosium took the challenge.

Anybody here read or gamed it?
Old 05-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Chaosiums Rivers of London RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
As usual , I discovered this novels with a few days delay. After I found them, I read the whole series and always thought "This is campaign material. When will the rpg comes out? And by whom?"

I'm just starting the 5th book. It's fun stuff, and the world is getting deeper and more complex and the series progresses. The GM may want to spend some time with a good map of London, and dig into some local history for ideas. The city and surrounding area are almost a character in themselves.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
(E)

Quote:

I had the same thought about 2-3 books in. I also thought that the default GURPS Magic system was not too far off fitting for Newtonian magic.

Quote:
“What's the biggest thing you've zapped with a fireball?' I asked.
'That would be a tiger,'said Nightingale.
'Well don't tell Greenpeace,' I said. 'They're an endagered species.'
'Not that sort of tiger,' said Nightingale. 'A Panzer-kampfwagen sechs Ausf E.'
I stared at him. 'You knocked out a Tiger tank with a fireball?'
'Actually I knocked out two,' said Nightingale. 'I have to admit that the first one took three shots, one to disable the tracks, one through the driver's eye slot and one down the commander's hatch - brewed up rather nicely.”
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:11 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:

Looks like another reason for me to regret unemployment, and something to think about buying (the RPG book, but also the series) when I have more disposable income.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:57 AM   #5
sgtcallistan

Have read the books and comics up to date, and yes, Police procedural, mysticism, a bit of Potter in flashbacks, and some deeper dips into the past, and the surrounding areas of London as well as The Smoke itself.

There's a moment I loved, where Father Thames is encountered, and the re-creation of a time from this old man's childhood was tasty, in that the detail all felt right. Author's done some research or he's older than he letting on.

The straw bales held together with colourful nylon string is 1970s (from memory), and the crossover between 'the showmen', transport drivers, jobbing farm labourers / fruit and hops pickers and steam traction engine men is, while something that still happens, but covers southern Britain back a long time.

There are youtube vids covering things like the Kent County Shows that would help here, though they are more about preserving old breeds of sheep and pig now, and getting prizes.

Some of the books, such as the legends of people who live underground still, ever since the tunnels were dug, leading back to even older times, this touches on folk myth, and the idea that ghosts can be replayed may touch on 'The Stone Tape' by Nigel Kneale, also worth finding.
The 'Neverwhere' books, comics and TV miniseries did something similar to 'Rivers of London' back in the 1990s, and may still be worth finding.

Now, is Peter the main character the spirit of London itself? I wonder.
He has an uncanny ability to recognise and date the 'built environment'...
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:20 AM   #6
The Colonel

Presumably suitable for Constantine fans as well?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
lordabdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Presumably suitable for Constantine fans as well?
I think the magic works very differently between RoL and Hellblazer so I don't think it would give you much more than any other rules light system.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chaosium, rivers of london, urban fantasy