Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-20-2023, 09:53 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: I Smell a Rat: Rune-Lined Hallway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Would a Dispel Magic from AELin Rock-Talker also have worked?
Dispel does not generally affect enchantments, which is probably what a trap counts as.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:46 AM   #22
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Would a Dispel Magic from AELin Rock-Talker also have worked?
No, for two reasons: 1) as Anthony mentioned, doesn't work on Enchantments or Curses, and 2) you have to know the spell you're dispelling and it's highly unlikely Rock-Talker knows "Evil Runes" a a spell.

Personally I'd treat it as a 'curse', so Remove Curse could work, but you're highly unlikely to have a PC with Remove Curse for an 'introductory adventure'*.

* I've often argued this is not an introductory adventure, it's actually quite rough for Players who aren't used to GURPS and how combat is quite brutal. And even with semi-experienced Players, the "premade characters" don't all have reliable close combat skills or weapons, which makes all the animal fights slightly roughly than one would expect.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:38 AM   #23
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
2) you have to know the spell you're dispelling and it's highly unlikely Rock-Talker knows "Evil Runes" a a spell.
Dispel Magic does not require you to know the spell(s) being dispelled. You're thinking of Counterspell:

Counterspell is a single spell – but to counter a given spell, you must also know that spell.

Dispel Magic has no such requirement.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:48 AM   #24
Anders

I allow Dispel Magic to suppress an enchantment for 2d turns. At least for traps.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #25
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Dispel Magic does not require you to know the spell(s) being dispelled. You're thinking of Counterspell:

Counterspell is a single spell – but to counter a given spell, you must also know that spell.

Dispel Magic has no such requirement.
Thanks, in fact Dispel explicitly states you don.t need to knwo the spell. Somehow my eyes wandered heavily when I was rereading Dispel Magic.

In which case if the Evil Rubes were an ongoing spell or magical effect, then I'd let Dispel Magic take it out. But in the case you're likely to see it, as a trap, it's either likely an enchantment or a curse.

I've a PC in a game who wants to start studying every set of Evil Runes he comes across to learn how to duplicate the effect... in the angle of protecting his home from sewer threats (slimes, worms, giant rats, etc). Not for Evil, no, no, of course not.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:38 PM   #26
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
I've a PC in a game who wants to start studying every set of Evil Runes he comes across to learn how to duplicate the effect... in the angle of protecting his home from sewer threats (slimes, worms, giant rats, etc). Not for Evil, no, no, of course not.
Knowing me, I'd probably make the method require something horrible, like human sacrifice and/or cannibalism, just to see if he'll rationalize Joining The Dark Side for power. That's why they're Evil Runes, folks.

Light-siders can always just plant TL 4 landmines instead.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:50 PM   #27
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Knowing me, I'd probably make the method require something horrible, like human sacrifice and/or cannibalism, just to see if he'll rationalize Joining The Dark Side for power. That's why they're Evil Runes, folks.
What is this Dark Side you speak of? Sounds positively bright compared to what that group sometimes gets up to...

(But no, that PC is a Psion and has bound himself to Elder Powers Outside of Time and Space, so no Evil Runes for him... but maybe a psionic equivalent once they realize Evil Runes really are Evil Divine, and Divine just isn't the power set he works with. His "god" is a dark and jealous thing, so no worshiping his Patron's enemies.)