Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-17-2024, 06:04 PM   #1
IllusionRoxie

Default Which goes first: Curse or Equip

Hello! I have a question about how to resolve the order of events.

My friend played a curse that forced me to discard 2 cards. In response to that, I equipped an item (a sword) using a cheat card. leaving me with no cards left in my hand.

Which resolves first?

He argued that the curse activates first since it relates directly with my hand.
I argued that since in the rules it says either may be played at ANY time, that my equipping was valid and the actions should be resolved like a stack.
IllusionRoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Which goes first: Curse or Equip

The Curse.

Munchkin does not have a stack like other card games and does not allow cards or abilities to be played "In response" unless that specific card or ability specifically says it can. All cards and abilities must be resolved and taken care of before another card or ability can be played or used.

When you friend cursed you, you could either do as the curse says and resolve it or play a card or ability that negates an incoming curse, an example would be Wishing Ring.

Last edited by Mr_Draco; 05-17-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:56 AM   #3
FASteave

Your equip resolves first because it was the last action played. So, you get to equip your sword before you have to discard cards due to the curse
FASteave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:54 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASteave View Post
Your equip resolves first because it was the last action played. So, you get to equip your sword before you have to discard cards due to the curse
Please do not give out false information.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
Aleph
Administrator

Draco has it right. You have to resolve the current action (the curse) before another one can be taken, unless a card says otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The Curse.

Munchkin does not have a stack like other card games and does not allow cards or abilities to be played "In response" unless that specific card or ability specifically says it can. All cards and abilities must be resolved and taken care of before another card or ability can be played or used.

When you friend cursed you, you could either do as the curse says and resolve it or play a card or ability that negates an incoming curse, an example would be Wishing Ring.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote