Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default PM'd Attributes and Static

A PC was just in a battle with an adversary who used magic to increase their ST to enormous proportions. Effectively, they gained ST+X (Magical -10%). I know Neutralize cancels it, and Magic Resistance and Resistant: Magic do not. But what about Static? When the PC gets punched, do they take full damage? Or only a piddly 1d-3 from the adversary's unmodified ST?

Thanks ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: PM'd Attributes and Static

Magic Static prevents magic from affecting you. It doesn't prevent magic from affecting other people unless you get it with area effect, and it doesn't prevent punches from hurting.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Magic Static prevents magic from affecting you. It doesn't prevent magic from affecting other people unless you get it with area effect, and it doesn't prevent punches from hurting.
What about DR (Magic damage only) and IT(DR) (Magic damage only)? Would those not stop the extra damage either?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
What about DR (Magic damage only) and IT(DR) (Magic damage only)? Would those not stop the extra damage either?
Depends on how you bought the limitation (you can certainly have a limitation that says it works on damage directly or indirectly caused by magic), but the damage itself is not magic -- it's created by magic, but it's a quite mundane fist (or weapon) actually applying the damage.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Okay, the intention was that the PC's abilities affect direct magic, not indirect. The PC had a modified version of Static, so I wanted to know how base Static worked first.

Thank you.