Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #171
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Project Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In Ceteri I use the following:
In order to prevent a specialist in Path of Spirits from always having to roll against one of the much lower Path skills, I'm trying to suggest some 'pure' Path of Spirit rituals for him that are something other than just exorcism. This is a ritual that should absolutely not require a character to know how to cloud minds, read thoughts or give mental commands in order to be good at it. It's exclusively about visiting the Spirit World and allows no impact or influence on anyone's mind, except in so far as the caster might learn something (but then absolutely all spells that gave information would also need a Path of Mind component).

Can this instead be done with Greater Transform Spirit [8] + Duration, 12 hours [6] + Range, Extradimensional 1 [10] = 243 = 72 energy?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #172
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Project Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In order to prevent a specialist in Path of Spirits from always having to roll against one of the much lower Path skills, I'm trying to suggest some 'pure' Path of Spirit rituals for him that are something other than just exorcism. This is a ritual that should absolutely not require a character to know how to cloud minds, read thoughts or give mental commands in order to be good at it. It's exclusively about visiting the Spirit World and allows no impact or influence on anyone's mind, except in so far as the caster might learn something (but then absolutely all spells that gave information would also need a Path of Mind component).

Can this instead be done with Greater Transform Spirit [8] + Duration, 12 hours [6] + Range, Extradimensional 1 [10] = 243 = 72 energy?
You'd need to make this a setting switch, but sure. You could do that I suppose.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #173
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Insignificance Ritual (for a Pig, in a Wig)

If I want anyone who doesn't have any specific reason to interact directly with a pig, in a wig (dressed in female clothing) to have to make an IQ or Per roll to notice it, or at the very least, register that it is not simply a woman they didn't happen to look at, how should I do that?

Metaphysically, we're doing exactly what the Facade does and relying on the fact that human minds tend to supply most of their sensory picture from context, which can even cause people in even entirely non-magical situations to fail to notice something out of place or which doesn't fit their preconceptions.

What I was thinking:

Lesser Destroy Mind [5] + Lesser Control Magic [5] + Bestows a Penalty, Per-4 [8] + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. [3] + Duration, 1 month [11] = 32 energy.

The game effect is that it takes a Per-4 roll to notice anything out of the ordinary about the subject or remember anything about it. This Per roll is modified as normal, i.e. for distraction and anyone forced to interact directly with the subject receives the +10 TDM for 'in plain view' and will thus almost certainly notice that the subject is a Pig, in a Wig, not a mundane woman at all.

This would be a greater effect if it was not cast as part of a charm or tattoo that acts as a miniature Threshold effect that shields the magic from the dissipating effects of the dawn.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #174
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

No, it would give the subject a Per penalty, not have the subject inflict a Per penalty. What you are wanting would probably be a form of Morph with Cosmetic and Glamour, which would require Greater Transform Body with Altered Trait.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #175
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
No, it would give the subject a Per penalty, not have the subject inflict a Per penalty. What you are wanting would probably be a form of Morph with Cosmetic and Glamour, which would require Greater Transform Body with Altered Trait.
This is absolutely never a form of Morph or Path of Body, because there is absolutely no change to the physical form or even the apparent form, if anyone actually focuses.

The pig looks nothing like a woman. It's just that anyone who doesn't have a specific reason to interact with the pig doesn't tend to question its presence and accepts a female shape, wearing female clothing and wig, without ever looking at it.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #176
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Either way, you need to target a single individual, a fixed group, or an area to inflict a penalty. If an area, it is either fixed or needs the Drifting or Mobile enhancement.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #177
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If I want anyone who doesn't have any specific reason to interact directly with a pig, in a wig (dressed in female clothing) to have to make an IQ or Per roll to notice it, or at the very least, register that it is not simply a woman they didn't happen to look at, how should I do that?

Metaphysically, we're doing exactly what the Facade does and relying on the fact that human minds tend to supply most of their sensory picture from context, which can even cause people in even entirely non-magical situations to fail to notice something out of place or which doesn't fit their preconceptions.

What I was thinking:

Lesser Destroy Mind [5] + Lesser Control Magic [5] + Bestows a Penalty, Per-4 [8] + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. [3] + Duration, 1 month [11] = 32 energy.

The game effect is that it takes a Per-4 roll to notice anything out of the ordinary about the subject or remember anything about it. This Per roll is modified as normal, i.e. for distraction and anyone forced to interact directly with the subject receives the +10 TDM for 'in plain view' and will thus almost certainly notice that the subject is a Pig, in a Wig, not a mundane woman at all.

This would be a greater effect if it was not cast as part of a charm or tattoo that acts as a miniature Threshold effect that shields the magic from the dissipating effects of the dawn.
That would let you call up the Facade and then give others a -4 on their rolls to resist it. So that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
No, it would give the subject a Per penalty, not have the subject inflict a Per penalty. What you are wanting would probably be a form of Morph with Cosmetic and Glamour, which would require Greater Transform Body with Altered Trait.
You don't need an Altered Trait for this. All you need is a spell effect. Bestows a Penalty is making it so the subject is "wrapped" in the mind-altering fog of the Facade more.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #178
X the Unknown
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Sorry Icelander if I'm imposing myself in the middle of the discussion about your ritual, but with the talk about Altered Traits and Bestows a Bonus/Penalty being brought up it was a perfect place to bring up my question instead of starting a new thread. I've looked around a bit and haven't been able to find a good answer. I'll try to keep it short.

I would like to create a ritual that effects only the subject's use of a Broadsword to add +4 to Hit, +4 to Damage and +4 to Parry.

Which one of these is the better method, or did I miss the better method altogether? I suppose we could substitute Chance in for Body in most of these, but I'd rather keep it on Body if possible.

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Hit, Damage and Parry (Broad) [40] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 46 energy

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Hit (Narrow) [8] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 Damage (Narrow) [8] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 Parry (Narrow) [8] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 36 energy

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Broadsword Hit and Damage (Moderate) [16] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Altered Traits: Enhanced Defenses: +2 Parry [10] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 35 energy
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #179
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by X the Unknown View Post
Sorry Icelander if I'm imposing myself in the middle of the discussion about your ritual, but with the talk about Altered Traits and Bestows a Bonus/Penalty being brought up it was a perfect place to bring up my question instead of starting a new thread. I've looked around a bit and haven't been able to find a good answer. I'll try to keep it short.

I would like to create a ritual that effects only the subject's use of a Broadsword to add +4 to Hit, +4 to Damage and +4 to Parry.

Which one of these is the better method, or did I miss the better method altogether? I suppose we could substitute Chance in for Body in most of these, but I'd rather keep it on Body if possible.

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Hit, Damage and Parry (Broad) [40] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 46 energy

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Hit (Narrow) [8] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 Damage (Narrow) [8] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 Parry (Narrow) [8] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 36 energy

Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Bestows a Bonus: +4 to Broadsword Hit and Damage (Moderate) [16] + Lesser Strengthen Body [3] + Altered Traits: Enhanced Defenses: +2 Parry [10] + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. [3]
Cost: 35 energy
You're better off using Lesser Strengthen Matter to use it on the weapon itself instead of the wielder. This lets you ignore spells on, but if you lose the weapon you lose the benefits.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #180
X the Unknown
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Default Re: RPM Rituals: Official, Semi-, Quasi- and Un-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
You're better off using Lesser Strengthen Matter to use it on the weapon itself instead of the wielder. This lets you ignore spells on, but if you lose the weapon you lose the benefits.
Huh. Didn't think of this. Ok, so I know it's magic, and I can see Lesser Strengthen Matter adding to damage, and adding to Hit in MH, but would it add to Parry in non-MH? Also, which of the three versions is proper, or are they all proper and my choice should be cost?

Thanks.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ritual, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology, vile vortices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.