Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Animate Spell

BTW, I think I may adjust the ST cost progression a bit for my version... still starting at 4 ST, but then 8, 12 and finally 16.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:40 AM   #12
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Magi Carta for Heroes & Other Worlds is sort of compatible with TFT and has an Animate Object spell as a Thrown spell at IQ 14. With it one can animate objects of a size determined by how much ST is put into it, with 2 ST for a small object (never really defined) and doubling each size increase (4 ST for medium, 8 for large, etc.). The spell description states that the objects can attack, but it never gives attributes for objects.

Here's my untested take, just for statues:
IQ 10, Animate Statue (T): This spell vivifies a single statue or sculpture (in the round or bas relief), giving it attributes average for the artwork's subject for 3 rounds (a life-size statue of a wolf would have a wolf's stats, a life-size warrior would have a Myrmidon's, and a monumental sculpture of a person would have a giant's stats). Wooden sculptures have stop 3 hits, stone stops 4, and bronze stops 6. Costs 1/hex, can be renewed.

My rationale for the low IQ and cost is that you need a statue handy, so it is considerably less useful than being able to animate any object. I'd be tempted to allow single blows that deal a statue high damage to break an animated statue, similar to how skeletons shatter. I'm also tempted to have cutting or impaling weapons used against them to have a risk of being damaged.
Sort of what I had in mind. Thanks!
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #13
Shostak

TippetsTX, Madhopper50 and others, please share any after action reports to let us know if and how you think the spells should be tweaked for better balance!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote