Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #21
WingedKagouti

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Restricted Diet and Slow Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Really? So we're ignoring all the discussions in the last decade plus about how trait costs need to be altered to fit the campaign world?
4E RAW is somewhat inconsistent in this respect. Some traits are inherently costed towards frequency of occurence while others are presented as "always costs this, regardless of circumstances".

It's one of the things I feel a potential 5E should address.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
4E RAW is somewhat inconsistent in this respect. Some traits are inherently costed towards frequency of occurence while others are presented as "always costs this, regardless of circumstances".
Yes... and my point is we've been addressing that in this forum for a decade.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #23
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
That reads like an argument for Vow (Vegetarian) being a 0-point feature in modern society.
It typically will require you to have separate dishes at a group meal, which is enough to be a quirk.

There isn't really any TL where it's much more, though, unless accidentally eating meat has has consequences (i.e. it's actually poisonous, or means you need to ritually purify yourself, or something). Beans and rice has been peasant food since TL 1.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-28-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not sure that's right. A lot of GURPS traits don't vary that way. Consider Magery 0, for example, which costs 5 points even if you're in a No-Mana setting.
<snort> That's because if Magery is going to be allowed at all, it's never going to be an entirely No-Mana setting. Either the Mana levels will rise or you'll be able to find spots or moments where your mojo will work and if those spots are uncommon that only means nobody will see it coming when you roll out the woo-woo.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
RogerBW

There are times and places (e.g. rural England or Germany for most of the 20th century, once they were rich enough that meat was commonplace food), where sticking strictly to a non-meat diet will get you at least -1 of reaction modifier from almost everyone who knows about it; they don't hate you for it, but they think you're weird. Whether that stretches beyond Quirk-level is arguable, though; it's certainly not -5.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

That's one of the many ways in which acting differently could set you apart from "the norm". It may even qualify as a sign of a secret like religion or ethnicity.
I imagine it would come off as eating like a "pathetic peasant" or living like a miser. In Gurps terms, I think it might come off like like living at a lower Status.

Also using Vegetarianism as an example is problematic as it depends on exactly how one defines it. It's a lot vaguer of a term in common speech than most of us tend to realize.

But I've found that simply not eating mammals gets occasional negative reactions from others here in Oregon. And that obviously doesn't begin to qualify as a "real" dietary restriction.
I suppose that likely means intolerance of those that aren't heavy meat eaters is not uncommon rather than any Gurps disadvantage on my part.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 12-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I would imagine that's, because merely by allowing a player to pick Magery, it will be useful some time in the game.
I wouldn’t make any effort to make it so. Or any other world-irrelevant.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you mean you wouldn't discourage someone from spending points on traits that will never matter? Even by simply saying it's a non-magic setting?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #29
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yes... and my point is we've been addressing that in this forum for a decade.
That hasn’t changed the RAW. As far as I can tell, some of them explicitly say that. Costs vary with setting, others say nothing, and none explicitly say costs don’t vary with setting As the Roman maxim says, the exception establishes the rule i cases not excepted.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #30
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you mean you wouldn't discourage someone from spending points on traits that will never matter? Even by simply saying it's a non-magic setting?
Of course I would tell them not to take it. But I would not make it a perk or a feature.

But also, in RAW, ST costs no less at TL12 than at TL0. Examples could be multiplied.

Tags
disadvantage of the week, restricted diet, slow eater