Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
OldSam

Default Re: Fantasy Grounds Unity GURPS?

Are you sure that Savage Worlds, D&D etc. really offer the full book content along with FGU? I would have assumed just options to use the rules...
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #22
Refplace

I would like to see SJG on these VTT platforms in a highly visible way. However the frequent calls for it often seem to be to assume its a no brainer and SJG is "leaving money on the table" and I think people aren't factoring everything in.
  • SJG had a bad history with licensing their material to another computer based company and that kind of thing can make you very cautious.
  • What protections do they have against piracy?
  • How much money does the VTT company get out of the deal that may come from SJG pockets vs. how much could they make in new sales for themselves?
  • How much time/money will it cost to work out such a deal? Staff need to spend time working out details and lawyers need to be payed too.

Those are not trivial issues and a company like Hasbro is way bigger and has deeper pockets than SJG. If one of these VTT companies messed with Hasbro they could take them to court and likely win or force the VTT company to settle.
I hope this kind of thing happens too, I just think people believe it is easy and free to do.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #23
Gigermann

People asking for "official support" need to consider what, specifically, they mean by that.

GCA is officially supported by all accounts, but SJG has nothing at all to do with its development, and has devoted no resources to its support, as far as I'm aware. Fantasy Grounds would be no exception in that regard.

My group has been using FG for over a decade now, and the lack of "built in" GURPS content has been no impediment whatsoever, and its addition would likely have little effect on our gaming experience. That said, actual GURPS content for FG is going to depend on the community to provide it (with SJG's eventual blessing to distribute, however/whenever that happens).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #24
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Are you sure that Savage Worlds, D&D etc. really offer the full book content along with FGU? I would have assumed just options to use the rules...
If you buy the book dlc for those products on FG, it includes the full text and images from the book (with one exception so far being the kickstarter NPCs for the Modiphious 2d20 Conan rpg).

However, there are a number of rulesets included with the software that only include the ruleset (mechannical aspects) but not the text of the books (if there's an SRD that is usually included).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
mehrkat

I don't know why or what the limitations they have but there are other VTT and many companies seem to sell their stuff on multiple platforms. I personally use role20 and probably wouldn't be able to get my game group to convert so a general VTT that could be made available on multiple VTT. It seems like the path would be a license agreement like they have with Dungeon.Fantastic but with someone who wanted who wanted to do vtt. Probably limited to tools that does the math with uploaded character sheets.

I can hope
Old 12-06-2020, 01:31 AM   #26
arandathor

I've only worked with FGU. I purchased the Ultimate license and my players run it with the Demo.

So far, so good: the interface works fairly seamlessly in my opinion, once you understand how to work with images and maps, enter story lines, and build your own encounters. I use more of a narrative style in writing adventures, and so I love being able to generate material for the players to read on the VTT.

The work that the FG GURPS community has generated has been the selling feature for me. They've done an amazing job to get you feeling like the VTT is tailored for GURPS.

We used GCA to initially build characters and exported them. And now the players are spending their character points, and simply do the math, and change the data in-game on the character sheets (which, admittedly, they see as requiring an entry level course in spreadsheets ;)) I also use GCA to build NPCs and export those as well.

I've purchased map packs and now can easily create battle maps with hex grids, build LOS and I'm enjoying the ways that you can adjust lighting in the map, add special effects, doors and windows that open and close, etc.

The players all agree that it would be amazing to have license support, but I know that not having access to online SJG material has generated at least some PDF sales for SJG as the players are now interested to own copies of the rules themselves.

And, SJG does offer GURPS Lite as a free download for anyone who wants to play the game in its simplest form.

So all in all, a good experience. Wrinkles will continue to be ironed out not just by the FG GURPS developers, but FG developers as well. They do seem to take an interest in our posts about things that work and don't work so well.
arandathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #27
RedMattis

Found this while looking around, so I assume SJ Games more than aware of FGU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLs2...lympusRPGGroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Video Linked Above
Demonstration session for Dr Kromm of SJG.

People present:

GM: Ronnke (Brian Ronnle)
Player: Dr.Kromm (Sean Punch)
Player: Gaming Ballistic (Doug Cole)
Player: Gigermann (Daniel Lunsford)
Player: Herodian (Kerry Forester)
Player: Rigil Kent (Phil Norfleet)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #28
RedMattis

Bought Fantasy Grounds Unity based on the thread. Roll20 works, but it feels a bit bare.

Anyone got suggestions beyond getting the GURPS.pak and light/dark theme? Seems non of the modifiers in the demo-video I linked are available f.ex. Do you guys write them into FGU manually?
Old 12-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #29
Chris_0369

Hey All,
Seeing several familiar names between forums. I would like to express my interest to support seeing SJG go to the VTT world. I too would be willing to purchase official SJG DLC for my favorite VTT (FG). I would even be willing to support a KS of other crowd funding platform to help SJG develop officially licensed content going to the VTT platforms (preference to FG but all the major VTTs).
What resources and experience are needed to become a developer if a green light is given for the community to develop a project such as this? Not that I have an excess amount of time on my hands nor any experience programming. But should the community be asked, I would like to help in some way. I will be watching the video posted by RedMattis on the demo run. Look forward to seeing some insights.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #30
mehrkat

There is unofficial support for roll20, foundry and while I'm not familiar with it I think fantasy grounds has some unofficial support.

The foundry one has semi-official ok from SJGames and uses GCA and GCS to upload characters in a way I really like with rollable buttons on the character sheet.

Tags
remote play, virtual tabletop