Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #21
Jinumon

Default Re: Gun Generator: v0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I hope it's forgiveable to ask if the OP is still doing something with this.
The answer is... complicated. Ultimately, yes. But I've encountered yet more snags. Also, I'm afraid that the magnificent Mr. Pulver is going to beat me to the punch with a finished product, and I have no doubt it'll be superior to mine :/
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
Say, it isn't that bad!

Somewhere on the internet, I've seen a breakdown of how GURPS does slugthrower stats. It goes on for pages.

Sorry, no link.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #23
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
The answer is... complicated. Ultimately, yes. But I've encountered yet more snags. Also, I'm afraid that the magnificent Mr. Pulver is going to beat me to the punch with a finished product, and I have no doubt it'll be superior to mine :/
For the record - SJGames hasn't beat anyone to the punch on a weapons design system for more than a decade. If Mr. Pulver is nearing completion of his manuscript there may or may not be more play testing involved as well as editing work and layout etc. If it were ready today it may not come out for a year depending on SJG's production schedule. Not dissing SJG but just laying out that there is time to get your stuff together and that it would still be useful.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #24
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
it would still be useful.
For many reasons. Not the least of which is because as a fan made item, it would essentially be free ;D
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #25
lwcamp

Quote:
For many reasons. Not the least of which is because as a fan made item, it would essentially be free ;D
Then you might find this helpful
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Equipment/...s/GunStuff.php
For non-muzzleloaders, you still need to input the mass and bullet exterior ballistics (speed, bullet mass).

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Jinumon

I'd just like to update anyone who cares as to my progress. After reading through Douglas Cole's immensely helpful Interior and Terminal Ballistics and looking through GURPS 3e: Vehicles, I've managed to make some headway in the Damage and EWeight departments. Still a little hung up on Range, but I imagine I'll post a work-in-progress sometime in the next few days, after I've nailed down a couple of points. Happy Roleplaying!
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #27
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Then you might find this helpful
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Equipment/...s/GunStuff.php
For non-muzzleloaders, you still need to input the mass and bullet exterior ballistics (speed, bullet mass).

Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
I'd just like to update anyone who cares as to my progress. After reading through Douglas Cole's immensely helpful Interior and Terminal Ballistics and looking through GURPS 3e: Vehicles, I've managed to make some headway in the Damage and EWeight departments. Still a little hung up on Range, but I imagine I'll post a work-in-progress sometime in the next few days, after I've nailed down a couple of points. Happy Roleplaying!
Jinumon
Awesome all around! Although, after fiddling with it, is there a reason I don't see Max Range?

Last edited by Dwarf99; 04-26-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
lwcamp

Quote:
Awesome all around! Although, after fiddling with it, is there a reason I don't see Max Range?
Because I am still working on it ...

In practice, about 4 or 5 times the 1/2 D range it will be going slow enough that the additional distance it can travel before gravity pulls it to the ground will be negligible.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Because I am still working on it ...

In practice, about 4 or 5 times the 1/2 D range it will be going slow enough that the additional distance it can travel before gravity pulls it to the ground will be negligible.

Luke
Yeah, I eyeballed several numbers between x3 and x6 inclusive. There were a few outliers like the 9x19 round being approximately x11. On another note, I have a system that uses Metatronic Generators. It assigns damage values about 15% less than a standard gun of any caliber up to 100mm or so. I've been using case lengths of Caliberx2 for pistols and Caliberx5 for rifles. My 1/2d scores are Caliberx(20 yards) and my Max Range is CLx(100 yards). The 8x40 round is pretty close to a AK-47.

I'm aware that basing one off caliber and the other off case length is probably a crappy, hand wavy way to do it, but it works nicely for small arms. I noticed that the cannons don't quite get that much power out of it, so I figure I need to throw a root in there somewhere, because they're only getting between CLx10 and CLx30 or so.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 04-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #30
Gustavus Adolphus

Very good work. I think it works for most conventional firearms. But if I may suggest some changes, here they are:

Quote:
Empty Weight = (D x S / P)² x B x A
D is dice of damage.
S is 2 for most guns, or 1 for “super” versions of non-superscience guns.
P is 5 for conventional firearms.
B is for the barrel-array value: 0.25 for tiny, 0.5 for very small, 0.8 for small, 1 for medium, 1.25 for large, 1.6 for very large, or 2 for extremely large.
A is for automation value: 1 for single-shot, 1.25 for semi-auto or light automatic, 2 for heavy automatic, and 3 for rotary
Well, this is the problem, the Dices of Damage don't represent the energy of the shot, but the armor piercing power. At the same amount of energy, one small caliber (like the 5.56x45mm NATO) has more penetration power (and consequentially, dices of damage) than one medium caliber (like the 9x19mm Parabellum). So, instead of using Dices of Damage to calculate the weight, use a formula that uses the Energy in Joule of the shot (but this certainly complicates the calculations and refers to Cole formula that uses the energy and the caliber of the bullet).

Quote:
Shots
Firearms are loaded with magazines, either classified as compact “Sticks” or bulkier, more efficient “Boxes.” Decide on how many rounds you want a chosen magazine to hold, and record the weight of the ammo. Then, calculate the weight of the empty magazine using the following formulas:
Stick Weight = (square root of Shots) x Wa x 6.7
Box Weight = (cube root of Shots) x Wa x 2.4
Wa is the weight per shot
I think that this formula does too heavy empty magazines. I suggest to reduce the constant, such as:
Stick Weight = (square root of Shots) x Wa x 3
Box Weight = (cube root of Shots) x Wa x 1.2

Quote:
Strength Requirement
Calculate the weapon's ST requirement using the formula below with loaded weight.
Pistol or Holdout ST = (square root of weight) x 6.3
Rifle ST = (fifth root of weight) x 6.3
Well, for pistol or holdout ST I believe that this formula is more accurate:
Pistol or Holdout ST = (cube root of weight) x 6.3

With the first formula, you must have ST 13-14 to fire w/o penalties with a 2kg pistol.

Quote:
Recoil
Recoil depends on the size of ammunition fired from the firearm: 2 for pi- or pi, 3 for pi+, and 4 for pi++.
Recoil doesn't depends only to caliber. In most cases, your formula is right, but if the firearm is too light for the energy of the shot, Recoil will increase.
Gustavus Adolphus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design notes, firearms, generator, guns, ultratech