Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #991
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
A question and a request.

The question is how can I move saved ships from on older version to a newer one. Preferably moving a whole saved ships sheet at once.
Open both the old spreadsheet and the new version in Excel at the same time (e.g. you might open both RC 30 and RC 33 together).

Older versions of Excel had some memory issues with doing this with large sheets (which this is). So what you can do is delete all of the sheets from the older spreadsheet except for the Saved Ships Sheet before opening it (I recommend saving it to a new file at this point, closing it, then reopening it).

Once you've opened both spreadsheets you will need a Saved Ships sheet with enough room to import all of the ships; you can either create a new Saved Ships sheet or delete all of the ships from within the Official or Unofficial Ships sheets. Once you have that, you can click the Import Saved Ships button in the Saved Ships sheet, and it will ask you which file you're importing from, which Saved Ships sheet in that file you're importing from, and which Saved Ships sheet in the current spreadsheet you're importing to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
The request is a way to name habitat modules. Admirals cabin, marine gym, 2nd class passenger cabins, etc.
Let me think on that.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #992
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Open both the old spreadsheet and the new version in Excel at the same time (e.g. you might open both RC 30 and RC 33 together).

Older versions of Excel had some memory issues with doing this with large sheets (which this is). So what you can do is delete all of the sheets from the older spreadsheet except for the Saved Ships Sheet before opening it (I recommend saving it to a new file at this point, closing it, then reopening it).

Once you've opened both spreadsheets you will need a Saved Ships sheet with enough room to import all of the ships; you can either create a new Saved Ships sheet or delete all of the ships from within the Official or Unofficial Ships sheets. Once you have that, you can click the Import Saved Ships button in the Saved Ships sheet, and it will ask you which file you're importing from, which Saved Ships sheet in that file you're importing from, and which Saved Ships sheet in the current spreadsheet you're importing to.
You might want to consider adding this explanation to the "Optional Rules" sheet as it is something every user will want to do when they open a new edition of the spreadsheet.
Dalton “Happy Mother Ocean Day!” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #993
Krasudreal

RC 33 bug report:
Fabricator, Robofac and nanofactories have the same output.
The exact same
Krasudreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #994
maximara
On Notice

How well do these work with LibreOffice?
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #995
Someone404

So I've tried to use the thing with Google Sheets and

First of all, it hogs all my computing power up. I have to wait sometimes minutes for a single dropdown list.

But second, and more annoyingly, is that I can't input a SM because I keep getting a data validation error
Someone404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #996
sparcipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
How well do these work with LibreOffice?
I haven't had much luck with the OpenOffice version of the spreadsheet in LibreOffice on my Macbook. In many cases multiple lines of text are jumbled together on a single line. Haven't tried it in LibreOffice on a Windows PC, so the issue might be limited to my own system.

Last edited by sparcipx; 09-27-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:59 AM   #997
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone404 View Post
So I've tried to use the thing with Google Sheets
This thing is almost completely incompatible with Google Sheets. It's not going to work properly and it will cause you pain the entire time you try to make it work.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #998
Someone404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
This thing is almost completely incompatible with Google Sheets. It's not going to work properly and it will cause you pain the entire time you try to make it work.
Ah, thanks for the knowledge. Was worried that I did something wrong.

So can we get a google sheets version?
Someone404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #999
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone404 View Post
So can we get a google sheets version?
Not likely. The sheet was written exclusively in Excel. The fact that I got it to work in an older version of OpenOffice was almost a miracle. I have no desire to try to get it working with Google Sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
I haven't had much luck with the OpenOffice version of the spreadsheet in LibreOffice on my Macbook.
I haven't even looked at the OpenOffice versions in a long time, but there were some serious issues which I remember identifying with the newer versions of OpenOffice/LibreOffice and started to address in the Excel Macros. If I had ever ported it back over to OpenOffice/LibreOffice again it would have run much better in newer versions of those suites. Unfortunately, the amount of work that would have taken got to be more and more as time went on and I never got around to doing another port. My best advice is to try to get your hands on an older version of OpenOffice, specifically v3.2 which is what I developed the port for. It worked on OpenOffice v3.4.x and LibreOffice v4, but was slow. On newer versions than those I believe it had some serious issues with the Macros that caused it to be very slow.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #1000
sparcipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I haven't even looked at the OpenOffice versions in a long time, but there were some serious issues which I remember identifying with the newer versions of OpenOffice/LibreOffice and started to address in the Excel Macros. If I had ever ported it back over to OpenOffice/LibreOffice again it would have run much better in newer versions of those suites. Unfortunately, the amount of work that would have taken got to be more and more as time went on and I never got around to doing another port. My best advice is to try to get your hands on an older version of OpenOffice, specifically v3.2 which is what I developed the port for. It worked on OpenOffice v3.4.x and LibreOffice v4, but was slow. On newer versions than those I believe it had some serious issues with the Macros that caused it to be very slow.
No worries, I wouldn't expect you to support every office suite. Your spreadsheet works perfectly for me in Excel, and was easy for a relative GURPS noob like me to figure out (used it to design mecha for a recent one-shot adventure).
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet