Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
zoncxs

Default having fun with neutralize! :D

so I have been toying with neutralize a lot. having the second power theft option on it (boost your own powers by the same cost as the power you just stole) is like having a variable modular ability that has a fixed cost.

Neutralize [425pts]
-Cosmic, +300%
-Cosmic: ability other than an attack or a defense, +50%
-Power Theft, +300%
-Timespanning (+50%; Cosmic: No die roll required, +100%), +100%

this allows you to steal a persons power to boost your own power. once stolen you can, at anytime afterward, call back that same boost.

I don't know what to add so that the boost is fixed, meaning when I stole the power the first time and used the boost for speed, if i call it again it will give me the same boost; only for speed.

adding duration permanent so the boost stays till you decided to remove it makes it 500pts.

thats a lots of points but seeing as this allows you to get a power boost from any range (1pt-whatever the GM says is the highest pt value for a power) and hold that boost till you are done with it or find a bigger one, which you can recall anytime.

buying multiple copies of this advantage is like adding slots.

EDIT:: hey i think i just made peter from heroes base outline for his power :D

Last edited by zoncxs; 04-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Fnordianslip

Default Re: having fun with neutralize! :D

I do like that build, used a very similar one for an NPC in my Wildcards game. However, there are a couple hitches in terms of it being rules legal. Technically, people always get resistance rolls, so No Die Roll Required is of limited use. Also, you would take penalties for Timespanning depending on how long it had been since you touched them...
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip View Post
I do like that build, used a very similar one for an NPC in my Wildcards game. However, there are a couple hitches in terms of it being rules legal. Technically, people always get resistance rolls, so No Die Roll Required is of limited use. Also, you would take penalties for Timespanning depending on how long it had been since you touched them...
thats why I added the no die roll to the timespanning, you got it once by beating their resistance rolls. the no die roll part is for using it to gain that same boost, you don't have to make your roll. you use the roll you had when you first did it. thats why timespanning cost +100% for past only.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
so I have been toying with neutralize a lot. having the second power theft option on it (boost your own powers by the same cost as the power you just stole) is like having a variable modular ability that has a fixed cost.

Neutralize [425pts]
-Cosmic, +300%
-Cosmic: ability other than an attack or a defense, +50%
-Power Theft, +300%
-Timespanning (+50%; Cosmic: No die roll required, +100%), +100%

this allows you to steal a persons power to boost your own power. once stolen you can, at anytime afterward, call back that same boost.

I don't know what to add so that the boost is fixed, meaning when I stole the power the first time and used the boost for speed, if i call it again it will give me the same boost; only for speed.

adding duration permanent so the boost stays till you decided to remove it makes it 500pts.

thats a lots of points but seeing as this allows you to get a power boost from any range (1pt-whatever the GM says is the highest pt value for a power) and hold that boost till you are done with it or find a bigger one, which you can recall anytime.

buying multiple copies of this advantage is like adding slots.
It's not bad! I personally prefer to do most of the stuff Neutralize with any sort of Power Theft included using trait-limited Cosmic Power or Slotted Cosmic Power and Afflictions, but that's me.

One question though - can you explain what the Timespanning is for?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
It's not bad! I personally prefer to do most of the stuff Neutralize with any sort of Power Theft included using trait-limited Cosmic Power or Slotted Cosmic Power and Afflictions, but that's me.

One question though - can you explain what the Timespanning is for?
its so you can call back that same power boost anytime you want. the no die roll bit is so you don't have to re-roll again for your margin of success, but the person you first stole the power from gets his roll again. so if you had a margin of success of 5 the person you stole it from will need to beat that every time you recall that power boost.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
naloth

Quote:
its so you can call back that same power boost anytime you want. the no die roll bit is so you don't have to re-roll again for your margin of success, but the person you first stole the power from gets his roll again. so if you had a margin of success of 5 the person you stole it from will need to beat that every time you recall that power boost.
NDRR specifically doesn't apply to things that use MOS. Even if you were to allow that: a) your roll fails if your effective skill isn't at least 3, b) you shouldn't keep the same MOS for two different uses, and c) your opponent will get a resistance roll again.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
JCurwen3

Quote:
Okay, I see! I must admit I've never figured out how to do much with Time- Spanning. But I re-read its description, and I think what you're doing with it sounds right (you had Cosmic on it, right?)

I'm not sure about the whole using the original success roll's margin though. Part of the Time-Spanning description says you have a penalty for the time gap on your rolls.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
NDRR specifically doesn't apply to things that use MOS.
I think it's been said that you can optionally use NDRR for something that uses MOS, in which case it counts as a MOS of 0.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
zoncxs

what i was really aiming for when i added the timespaning (no die roll required) was so the penalty from the difference of days wouldn't effect it. i wanted to get rid of that variable.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
starslayer

Using Time spanning with NDDR is fine, but it will result in MOS 0, so now you need to have something that makes there resistance effectively impossible (Say a -18 modifier).

Is there an enhancement that makes resistance harder like how multiple levels of an affliction works?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neutralize, power boost